Why become a member? ×

How do you know when a bass just doesn't have "that sound"?

Grangur

That's it really. I know it's a noob question, but I'm sitting here with 3 perfectly good basses and I face a dilemma.

The one that I like the sound of best is my cheap P-bass copy with SD Quarter Pounders. It has a great, dark thump and the only thing wrong is the snob value of not having a great looking name on the headstock.

The one I'm most unsure about is a £1000 neck-through PJ... yeah, ok it's my Streamer in my avatar..
It doesn't have that dark thump of the P bass. The sound is too "jingley" for my liking. The strings are newish, it could be that.

I've found a lovely looking G&L PJ for sale, that I'm sorely tempted by, but would buying it be simply an expensive change of strings?
It could be pups, but the sound on my fretless Streamer is much better (fitted with flats, admittedly).

Also, if I buy the G&L it's probably the cheap P that will go up for grabs. After all, the Streamer is Mrs G's favourite bass.

I don't know if this is asking the impossible, for an online forum, but how do you know when to give a bass the heave-ho?

Edited by Grangur

It's difficult isn't it.. I think our idea of what we want our bass to sound like changes over the years. You might get rid of the streamer now only to find in a couple of years time it's that tone that your looking for again....

The thing with getting rid of the P is you'll be able to pick up something similar sounding for not alot.... the streamer may prove difficult to get hold of at a later date...

Ideally get the G&L and keep all the others :)

Edited by CamdenRob

What you might not like is active EQ or the way your Warwick employs it in the Streamer. I've got an old Westone Spectrum LX bass with a PJ configuration that employs both passive and active tone shaping controls - they sound very different to each other (which is good, otherwise there'd be little point having this arrangement, though I have to add the caveat here that the passive and active EQ interact in a fairly uncommon way). After some exposure to both fully active, fully passive and hybrid EQ controls (the Westone) I have to admit that I do like the simplicity of a passive tone control and I've a tendency to set-and-forget the 3 band EQ tone controls on the actives (only really bothering with changing the mids).

I had just the same feeling about that white mim jazz, mr G. Nothing wrong with it, just not right enough for me. Like with partners, you just know when you find it.

Don't over-analyse is my advice, move it on if it's not sparkling for you, and let someone else enjoy

I know its been said many times before, but what sounds good to you in a quieter,practice eviroment, might sound terrible in a band mix.
I know the best settings to give myself best presence in a mix, but its certainly not the EQ i would set if i was playing in the house.
So maybe the streamer is just better suited to being played in a band environment?
That said, it could be as simple as you just prefer the PBass sound!
And if that is the case, i would personally sell the streamer and buy something with a P Pup configuration.
Why not? Doesnt matter how expensive your streamer is, if the problem is you dont ike the sound it gives you, buy a bass for that money that you do like

Thanks for all the great advice.
[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1408628482' post='2531979']
Maybe it's worth putting a set of flats on the fretted Streamer and seeing how it sounds then?
[/quote] Good thought. I have had flats on there and it then lacked "growl". I've actually been thinking of putting rounds on the fretless. (not easy am I?)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1408628520' post='2531981']
It's difficult isn't it.. I think our idea of what we want our bass to sound like changes over the years. You might get rid of the streamer now only to find in a couple of years time it's that tone that your looking for again....

The thing with getting rid of the P is you'll be able to pick up something similar sounding for not alot.... the streamer may prove difficult to get hold of at a later date...

Ideally get the G&L and keep all the others :)
[/quote] I like it! LOL
This also gets even more complicated when you start factoring likes/demands of a band as well.

I think one thing that is good right now is that it's a buyers market right now. Anything you buy now can probably be sold in a year without losing too much. If you're lucky enough to not need the ready cash.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1408628845' post='2531983']
What you might not like is active EQ or the way your Warwick employs it in the Streamer. I've got an old Westone Spectrum LX bass with a PJ configuration that employs both passive and active tone shaping controls - they sound very different to each other (which is good, otherwise there'd be little point having this arrangement, though I have to add the caveat here that the passive and active EQ interact in a fairly uncommon way). After some exposure to both fully active, fully passive and hybrid EQ controls (the Westone) I have to admit that I do like the simplicity of a passive tone control and I've a tendency to set-and-forget the 3 band EQ tone controls on the actives (only really bothering with changing the mids).
[/quote] Good point. I actually play both W'wicks mostly in passive mode, and mostly turned right forward to the P pup too.

Discreet - good point about the flats. I might give flats another wizz.

At £400 for a brand new G&L, It's looking very dangerously like there'll be another bass headed this way :yarr:

It doesn't matter what it says on the label, you've got to play your best bass.

I get rid of basses when they've been superceeded; ie when I buy one that sounds better. So far in 20 years I've had 4 main basses and sold 2 of them. The last "best bass" becomes the backup and the old backup gets sold.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1408627478' post='2531971']
The one that I like the sound of best is my cheap P-bass copy with SD Quarter Pounders. It has a great, dark thump and the only thing wrong is the snob value of not having a great looking name on the headstock.
[/quote]
If it sounds good and inspires you to get your groove on, then it is good - no one will give a f**k about what is on the headstock if you play it well. Not all instruments are inspiring to play or feel/sound good to any given human being, so when you find something that works for you either for live or recording for whatever reason, then keep it and appreciate it and FFS don't sell it thinking that something better is bound to come along - IMHO this counts double for instruments that you don't have a lot of money tied up in, as you lose way more than cash value when you sell an instrument that you enjoy playing.

[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1408629733' post='2532004']
I rotate my basses almost religiously: every practice session I take a different one. I do the same for gigs, but a little less strictly. If I find that a bass no longer works for me in these situations, goes on the market, no matter what!
[/quote]

I like razze's approach - but I probably wouldn't be able to do this myself
Which one I use depends partly on which band I'm playing in

If you really like the sound of your cheap P bass copy, then keep it!
There's often too much snobery involved in basses and guitars - as with many other things in life too, of course

If it plays well, and sounds great, what more do you want?
If you trade it for an expensive Fender, you may be a bit more "precious" with that -
being more careful with it, re playing live etc
So you may end up being less comfortable with it

I've got a Squier P bass (admittedly, a 2 pickup version)
and you know what? It sounds amazing,
and it's the cheapest bass I have!

I had a German Warwick Corvette, which was lovely,
but there was too much fussing around with too many controls for my liking

If you sell your P copy, you may find another one cheap enough in future,
but you can't guarantee that it will sound & feel as good - it's luck of the draw

As others have said, try some different strings on your Streamer
But keep that P bass copy - if you like it - what does it matter what's on the headstock?

If I had a comfy pair of cheap trainers, why would I trade them for a pair of Nike £100+ shoes that weren't so comfy? ;)

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1408629505' post='2532001']
Good thought. I have had flats on there and it then lacked "growl". I've actually been thinking of putting rounds on the fretless. (not easy am I?)
[/quote]

If you want 'dark' [i]and[/i] 'growl' as well, get some Status Half-Wounds 45-105. They're very affordable, too.

I'd think twice before selling the streamer, even if you're not using it a lot now it's good to have a real quality bass tucked away for emergencies.

You can pick up a P easily in any large town but if you're playing a different venue/doing a different sound in a band, it can be harder to find Warwick that you already understand.

I hardly ever play my German Warwick anymore but I won't be selling it, you just never know when you'll need that growl.

For me, after playing for over thirty-eight years, whether a bass is suitable has become intuitive. If I find myself constantly adjusting something that has nothing to do with the song itself (like dialing in a scoop for a funk song, or rolling off the treble for a dub song, etc.), or if I find myself constantly adjusting the position of the bass on my body, or my hands, then I know it won't work over the long haul.

Don't worry about what is on the headstock. If your inexpensive P-copy with the SD quarter-pounder sounds great and suits you, go for it! After 38 years of bass playing, I gig with an older Ibby SRA305 - a relatively inexpensive bass, with really good fit, finish and tone for its price point, which I got on a closeout at the end of the model year.

I would keep the P-copy as a backup and reference, since you do like it. Since it is not an established brand, you may not be able to get that much for it, and it would be more useful to you as a backup. Have you thought about adding a J-bridge pickup to it to get your P/J? It may or may not be cost effective, but worth investigating as to price.

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1408644044' post='2532197']
My favourite sounding most playable bass is made by a company many avoid... there are names i wish it had on the headstock but it doesn't and you know what... i still love the sound of it ;)
[/quote]

I keep coming back to my Hayman 4040 - it's just stunning. 'Hay- who what now??' I hear you ask... :)

The best recorded bass tone I've ever had and can't quite replicate with my updated basses is a line out from a 20w Marshall bass amp using a 90s Encore P bass into a boss me 30 pedal on compressor only setting. I'm convinced that the bass was the missing link as tried to replicate and it didn't sound as good!

Thanks for the excellent ideas here. What you've convinced me to do here today is keep everything and still go and try the G&L. I did just that. Its a SB-2 Tribute in burgundy red. with a perl white pick guard and rosewood neck. It sounds great and in new condition except for the addition of a thumb rest.

I'll probably be experimenting with strings soon too.

Many thanks to all.. You're amazing.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1408655403' post='2532350']
Thanks for the excellent ideas here. What you've convinced me to do here today is keep everything and still go and try the G&L. I did just that. Its a SB-2 Tribute in burgundy red. with a perl white pick guard and rosewood neck. It sounds great and in new condition except for the addition of a thumb rest.

I'll probably be experimenting with strings soon too.

Many thanks to all.. You're amazing.
[/quote]

So Rich, is the G&L taking up residence in Grangur Towers?