Why become a member? ×

How do you know when a bass just doesn't have "that sound"?

Grangur

Someone on here said 'if it passes the Stevie Wonder Test' then it doesn't matter. If it feels right and sounds right then the label doesn't matter. In a way you are lucky to have stumbled on 'the one' early on. I have spent a small fortune trying all different basses but have finally found 'it' - an '84 MIJ Squier medium scale Precision. It says Squier on the headstock, I don't care.

If you find the label does matter, stick a Fender one on it for your own benefit (but don't forget to mention it when it is time to move it on) but if it has the tone you are looking for then stay with it.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1408694799' post='2532522']
...... I have spent a small fortune trying all different basses but have finally found 'it' - an '84 MIJ Squier medium scale Precision. It says Squier on the headstock, I don't care.

If you find the label does matter, stick a Fender one on it for your own benefit .......
[/quote]

Spot on!
Keep that P bass copy

Years back, I flogged a Shaftesbury Ric copy
A brilliant bass, wish I never sold it - it might have been a cheap copy
But I can't get one for love nor money now......

[quote name='Marc S & Various' timestamp='1408695485' post='2532534']

Keep that P bass copy

[/quote]
I will. At the end of the day. I'm not short of cash or space to the point that I need £50 (? ish) So there's no need to move it on. I might respray the body, but here's a family shot of how it's likely to be for a bit.

It's still a thought though, how many changes or tryouts are you prepared to make to be sure a bass is "wrong" before you move it on?
By this I do mean "wrong for you", because one man's meat is another man's poison.. The cheap Gear4Music bass I got was bought from a music student. It was unplayable when I got it. The bridge saddles were as low as they go, the action was [i]way [/i]high...
Half an hour after buying it the neck was off, shim in place and back together and it was being tuned up and it's a good bass.

I know exactly what suits my style and what sounds I am wanting to hear. Which comes first
doesn't really matter, I get to the same place. This makes picking a bass quite easy so after that
all I really need to do is be able to play it. I'll pick up a bass and put it down in an instant if I
know it isn't going to work. You can tweak it but you need to be sure it can do what you want.

The problem comes when you don't know what you are really after. That tends to mean you'll
be forever swapping basses and chasing the 'one'. I have 3 core sounds and styles and
have 2 basses that cover them. They are both super J5's as it happens.

They sound really nice to me passive and I use the active options sparingly, and in effect
a slight boost of what they give passively.

Our band is known for a good sound and a lot of that is where I put the bass, IMHO...
I wont be cutting thru the mix so much as being the foundations... ( I wonder why people want to cut thru
as this implies fighting a wall of sound of instruments that the bass should be no where near i tersm of frequencies.)
Too many bands have too narrow a spectrum of a 'mix'...boxy, almost.

The bass that will under pin the band will have a nice round bottom end...but not too bassey.
I don't like the sound to 'thump' as you need sustain on all those low notes.
You have to set the bass up to sing...but also accept that too many basses just aren't going to be very
capable of that...
Your amp stack should compliment the bass, not fundemenatlly change it as that is going to lead you to be chasing shadows..
swapping basses, pickups, cabs amps etc etc etc ........................