Why become a member? ×

" I was asked to join The Stones"

Donnyboy

Not really, but I'm aware that many guitarists were rumoured to be, or were considered, prior to Ronnie Wood taking up his position.
In terms of bass players following the departure of Bill Wyman there must've been a few names in the frame, I've a vague recollection of reading that Gerry McAvoy ( Rory Gallagher's long term bass player) said that he'd been approached at some point.

Surely there must've been quite a few considered ,or would like to have been in with a chance, for this one?

Anyone know anything?

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1408387049' post='2529718']
I seem to remember reading that a few of the guys that auditioned were Doug Wimbish, Charley Drayton,
Kenny Aaronson and Joey Spampinato. Wimbish already toured with Jagger and Spampinato had worked
with Richards.
[/quote]

There's a YouTube vid in which Wimbish says he was offered the gig but had to turn it down as he was committed to Living Colour.

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1408459849' post='2530393']
From what I remember, the band let Charlie choose who he wanted and he picked Darryl Jones.
That was 1993!
[/quote]

Sounds about right... At that level they can all play, it is more about chemistry etc etc

But at the end of the day, despite the length of time he's been playing with them, he's still effectively a side man rather than being a band member. He'll get more than, say, the horn players or the backing singers but he'll still be on a fixed wage for a tour. With the money that sloshes round the usual Stones world tour I imagine ol' Darryl gets to boost whatever lesser projects he might fancy in between though!

Piece about [url="http://ultimateclassicrock.com/darryl-jones-joins-stones/"]Jones joining the Stones[/url] - includes a rare band shot of the 'actual' Stones.

[size=3][b]L-R[/b]: Jones, Richards, Jagger, Wood, Leavell, Watts. Guess who gets songwriting credits and who doesn't.[/size]

I saw some figures bandied about from a forum around 2008 where someone claimed they worked for the company that handled the Stones' accounts. They reckoned he was on over a million USD per tour and there was a sliding scale with DJ being one of the top earners (along with Leavell) outside the 'big four' in the band. Could have been cobblers of course.

Edited by KevB

Very few players who have come in to replace original members who have left top bands will be allowed to join the band. Most will remain employees.

I would guess that not one of those few will be on an equal split with the original guys.

Even Ronnie Wood was on wages for the first 25 years before they gave him full band membership.

Talking about touring costs and wages.
Friend drove trucks for a International act and they had
a fund to pay the 'charges; to get the tour convoy over certain borders.
3 crossings cost them $150,000 and I asked him what would happen if they weren't
'met'. He said the tour would stop dead in its tracks for days until released and
you couldn't have all the crew on payroll sitting around as that would cost far more.
So, not paying was just NOT an option.

Funny thing was, that the convoy all carneted up went through a Swiss border, for example,
in minutes. There were 42 trucks. BIG money.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1408468270' post='2530507']
I wouldn't have thought it was that far out.
Top player, top grossing band.
Back in the 90's people could buy a house off a major tour with a MAJOR act.
Buy Porshces with cash... but those days seem to have gone.[/quote]

Indeed. A guy I used to work with on many gigs, used to crew for many a major act - huge world tours, that kind of level. He was on the crew for a Metallica tour of South America, where all the crew were on a profit share from the merchandise. It was a pretty tinny percentage (something like 0.03 of 1%). He bought a brand new [color=#222222]Porsche[/color], in cash, off the back of that one tour...

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1408462865' post='2530443']
But at the end of the day, despite the length of time he's been playing with them, he's still effectively a side man rather than being a band member. He'll get more than, say, the horn players or the backing singers but he'll still be on a fixed wage for a tour. With the money that sloshes round the usual Stones world tour I imagine ol' Darryl gets to boost whatever lesser projects he might fancy in between though!
[/quote]

Very few of us regardles of the situation end up not ever having to 9:00a to 5:00p it.Out of all the guys I grew up with I only know 2, Chuck Burgi and Al Anderson.

Blue

Blue

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1408494357' post='2530798']Even Ronnie Wood was on wages for the first 25 years before they gave him full band membership.[/quote]

That's true, I remember him saying so when doing an i'view in a mag shortly after he came off the payroll.

I don't remember reading Gerry Mcavoy being considered (not mentioned in his book IIRC).

However, Rory Gallagher was a contender to replace Mick Taylor, even jamming with the band for a few days. This is mentioned in Gerry's book.

I'm glad he didn't, as a big Rory fan, I hate to think what we might have missed out on. Saying that, you never know if he did, he may still have been around, which would have been the greatest gift.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1408464910' post='2530470']
I read somewhere Jones was getting $50,000 per week on tour. Could be nonsense though.
[/quote]

Tell you what, I know first hand about a lead singer in a "B": level international touring act getting $1,500.00 a week. And thats after travel expenses. I'll take that kind of wage in a New York minute.

Blue

Edited by blue