Why become a member? ×

" I was asked to join The Stones"

Donnyboy

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1408551685' post='2531300']
I don't remember reading Gerry Mcavoy being considered (not mentioned in his book IIRC).

However, Rory Gallagher was a contender to replace Mick Taylor, even jamming with the band for a few days. This is mentioned in Gerry's book.

I'm glad he didn't, as a big Rory fan, I hate to think what we might have missed out on. Saying that, you never know if he did, he may still have been around, which would have been the greatest gift.
[/quote]

I havent read Gerry's book - is it worth a read? Donal Gallagher described it as Riding Roughshod - not a great endorsement!

Mixed emotions .... :sorry: .... about Rory & the Stones - don't think it'sd have been a long term arrangement but a brief encounter might've been interesting. Agree 100% about him still being around-m it'll be 20 years next year since he passed away :o

If it's not in Gerry's book I doubt it happened, not sure where I picked that up... I suppose there's a lot of known players who might've been up for it , to a greater or lesser extent " Please welcome Mr Paul McCartney!!!"

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1408553260' post='2531323']
I havent read Gerry's book - is it worth a read? Donal Gallagher described it as Riding Roughshod - not a great endorsement!
[/quote]

It's pretty good, I enjoyed it. If you're a Rory fan, it's a must read, as in the absence of a great Rory book, it's our only original source!

I didn't know Donal called it that - very good! :D

I'd have liked a lot more detail in certain places, as the post 'Top Priority' years go very quickly. Fairplay, Rory slowed down in the 80's, but the band was still together, and I'd have liked more first hand knowledge. Band does less, suddenly Rory has a drink problem, and it's over! I finished it with a lot of unanswered questions.

All I learned was that Gerry entertained Anita Dobson for a night before she was with Brian May....and that, I could have lived without knowing! :o

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1408463441' post='2530452']
Possibly be on a retainer as well.
No idea what those gigs pay but I doubt it would be the salaries of yesteryear but probably still more than
decent. :lol: :lol:

More than currrent chart acts paying £150 a gig these days :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

£150 might be worth it if you got to stand behind Jesse J every night for 2 hours - and she's got some great songs too.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1408551685' post='2531300']
I don't remember reading Gerry Mcavoy being considered (not mentioned in his book IIRC).

However, Rory Gallagher was a contender to replace Mick Taylor, even jamming with the band for a few days. This is mentioned in Gerry's book.

I'm glad he didn't, as a big Rory fan, I hate to think what we might have missed out on. Saying that, you never know if he did, he may still have been around, which would have been the greatest gift.
[/quote]

I'm glad Rory didn't sell out to join the Stones. He was too good for them. Thanks for the heads up on Jerry's book, I'll have to get that.