Why become a member? ×

I want an Ibanez SR

isteen

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I played an Ibanez SR 600 today, and I were taken by storm in a matter of seconds.[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]To me that was a completely new experience.[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I have always loved the old classics (P and J), but I fell instantly in love with the Ibanez SR 600.[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]So, I just got to have one - and here come trouble. I have narrowed it down to 3 basses from the Soundgear series, the SR 500/600/700.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]From what I can see, only the wood and the bridge separates these - what does that mount up to soundwise?[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I couldn't care less about how the look, they are a dream to hold and play, and I just want the one with best best sound - and I never play anything metal-over-the-top kinda grind thing.[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I just want a full and warm sound.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]What say you, gentlemen?[/font][/color]

Edited by isteen

I've played an Ibanez SR1200 and an SR1600 in my local PMT and loved them. Fantstic to hold and play, sounded great and looked amazing.

I'm not an expert but I do believe you're right in that the difference is the wood. If they sound the same to you them choose whichever one you prefer. I don't think there's a big difference between them otherwise. I'm sure the wood choice is the only difference between the SR1200 and SR1600 and the SR1800 too.

If you want a warm sound go for the 500 or the 700 as these both have mahogany bodies (the 700 having that rather nice top) which normally means the addition of warmth to the overall sound produced by the pick ups and pre amp. But if you've been taken by a particular instrument that you've actually played, go with that one.

Can't go wrong with either of the model series you referenced above. I've owned an SR885 with a nice padauk top, for 20 years and it still sounds great. I'd always received compliments on the sound when I played it live. I'll never sell it.

I recently purchased the SR500, it's a great bass. Wonderful tone, great options to change tone with the EQ section.
It's a great looking bass and really well made, fast neck, light body, good balance.

More than happy, it's refocused my mind to bass again, bass guitar GAS has gone. This bass is what I need it to be!

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1406309040' post='2510520']
.... it may be worth you watching out for an older SR. I had an SR1300 with a Bart P/J set up that was a killer bass.
[/quote]

Completely agree. I'm the current owner of that same bass. The Barts have gone (replaced by much cheaper and IMO much nicer pickups). It is very special and definitely leagues above the SR500 in tone, punch and sheer quality.
THese 90's SR prestiges seem to go for about £500, and seem to come up reasonably frequently if you keep your eyes open for one (in the UK anyway).

Edited by hamfist

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1406302300' post='2510424']
If you want a warm sound go for the 500 or the 700 as these both have mahogany bodies (the 700 having that rather nice top) which normally means the addition of warmth to the overall sound produced by the pick ups and pre amp. But if you've been taken by a particular instrument that you've actually played, go with that one.
[/quote]

I hate to try and contradict, but to me, the SR600 always had the warmest and nicest tone. It's got that lovely ash body, and nice grain is icing on the cake :)

I had an SR600 and it was a wonderful instrument, I'm still sorry it's gone.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1406313076' post='2510580']

I hate to try and contradict, but to me, the SR600 always had the warmest and nicest tone. It's got that lovely ash body, and nice grain is icing on the cake :)

I had an SR600 and it was a wonderful instrument, I'm still sorry it's gone.
[/quote]No need for apologies, you've got first hand experience; how often does actual experience contradict the 'accepted wisdom'? Quite often; which goes to show that when dealing with individual instruments with organic components you've got to try them out. Your endorsement, plus the OP's own experience, all point toward a 600 purchase.

Edited by ezbass

• 2 weeks later...

I've had an SR500 for about a year now and it is hands down the best bass I've ever owned.

Really light and easy to play and a load of tonal options.

I hadn't played it for a couple of gigs until last night as was blown away by the sound once again.

The only other bass that I might buy would be another one but perhaps a 5 string for something a bit different.

The best part for me was that I bought mine on this very forum for £199 delivered, bargain!

I've had my SR600 for a few days. I think it needs to be used a bit more before I can give it my final verdict, but so far I love the tone, the weight (or lack of weight) and the look of it. Nice price, and it even came with Elixir strings on it.
I have five basses, and my Sandberg P-bass is in close competition with my Ibanez SR 600 to be my number one choice.

I bought an SR4500 at the start of the year from the classifieds here, it's an amazing bass - I've gigged it at least twice a week since I got it and it still impresses when I pick it up. The range of sounds and sustain is huge, the action is low, the neck is thin and it even stays in tune between gigs. If you can find one of the Prestige SR basses grab it, they sell for good money and are really quite special.

The SR1000 has been my main bass for over 20 years & fitted in with everything I've played starting with metal, through various forms of rock, then to folk & jazz & finishing on a bit of electronica.
Although I've given up playing bass, it's the only bit of gear that I'm not selling.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1406321499' post='2510685']
Can`t go wrong with The SR range, 300 and above. The only thing I find is the resale value sucks. But here I am going on about resale when you haven`t even got the thing! :wacko:[size=4] [/size]
[/quote] i have had an SR305 and still own an SR700. Based on that, personally I don't think the SR300 series are as good and I feel it is well worth going to at least the SR500. Do love the SR series though.

[quote name='bjelkeman' timestamp='1407790521' post='2524105']
i have had an SR305 and still own an SR700. Based on that, personally I don't think the SR300 series are as good and I feel it is well worth going to at least the SR500. Do love the SR series though.
[/quote]

I loved my sr500. Really regret selling it.

I play an SR505 at my tuesday practices as our guitarist is a music teacher and has one he uses for bass lessons and the odd dep gig he does, its really nice and I soon get comfy with it and its controls, feels a tiny bit like it wants to neck dive but it never does and im used to heavier basses or a jazz where that tend to tip the other way if anything.