Why become a member? ×

I want an Ibanez SR

isteen

[size=4][font=Calibri][color=#000000]+1 for the SR600[/color][/font]
[font=Calibri][color=#000000]I bought mine new in 2010 and it’s still my main bass - it's comfortable to play for several hours, sounds are versatile and it looks great (IMHO). It’s been gigged extensively and the only thing to have gone wrong with it was that a nylon washer split and fell off one of the machine-heads – so I invested in a set of Gotoh machine heads which were a direct replacement and apart from looking great, seem to have given the bass marginally more sustain. The tuning stability has always been fine - even with the original machine-heads.[/color][/font]
[font=Calibri][color=#000000]It’s currently fitted with Elixir stainless steel strings which are only the second set it’s had from new. I had initial misgivings about the Elixirs because of the tendency for the coating to peel off on the nickel versions originally fitted, but this seems much less obvious on the stainless-steel Elixirs.[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][font=Calibri][size=4]I mostly play pub gigs and some of these places are so small that no matter how careful I am I sometimes catch the bass’s body on the edge of the cymbals or smack the headstock into a wall – so I wouldn’t want to use a more expensive bass in these conditions and the natural finish on the SR600 means that any dings are pretty hard to see. [/size] :) [/font][/color][/size]

Edited by Krysbass

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1408106108' post='2527162']
What is the difference between the SR500 and SR600?
Are they available with maple board?
Which of the SR series is most suited to reggae, using flatwound strings for a clear deep smooth tone?
[/quote]
The 500 has a Mahogany body, the 600 has Swamp Ash; otherwise they are identical. Neither come with a Maple board but both would be perfectly suited for Reggae as the pre-amp offers considerable bass boost/treble cut.

Edited by White Cloud

Thanks WC, I'm tempted by the lightweight and I prefer the look of the Ash SR600.
[size=4]I'm also tempted by the much cheaper GSR 180 Jazz copy because I currently play a heavy old Fender Jazz and I like the simplicity of a passive bass, but I imagine it wouldn't have the same depth of tone as the SR600.[/size]

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1408106108' post='2527162']
Which of the SR series is most suited to reggae, using flatwound strings for a clear deep smooth tone?
[/quote]

Fender Flats, good price, good solid sound - I only use Fender flatwounds