Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

Menahan Street Band 'Make The Road By Walking' is a great instrumental funk/soul album from 2008 that sounds like it could soundtrack a 1970's New York cop series. 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, SumOne said:

Menahan Street Band 'Make The Road By Walking' is a great instrumental funk/soul album from 2008 that sounds like it could soundtrack a 1970's New York cop series. 

Oh that's excellent! Great music to work to. And to walk to -  if you're prepared to do that 1970' slight swagger!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SumOne said:

Love the concept... Going to have a proper listen to this later.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SumOne said:

Proper old-school Music; none of this modern EDM stuff, or ('gags'...) 'slap'. The World needs more like it. :sun_bespectacled:

• Like 1

On 11/03/2023 at 13:55, paul_5 said:

'The Future' by the incredible Leonard Cohen. Brilliant stuff.

I was at that concert, when he performed "Thousand Kisses Deep" as a poem, the place was silent, 25000 people hanging one the words of one old bastard in a suit... Utterly unforgettable.

• Like 2

After spending musch of the last 15 years or so listening to mainly funky/jazzy stuff with a smattering of British indie in the last few weeks I've gone back to my youth and down a real 'American alternative scene of the 80s and early 90s' rabbit hole.

After hugely enjoying rediscovering the Butthole Surfers I've moved on to my favourite band of the era/genre - Dinosaur Jr.

Somewhat controversially I've decided that my favourite stuff of theirs is from after the 'classsic' line up split and they essentially be came a Jay Mascis solo project.

Exhibit A

I think Mascis may be my favourite guitarist of all time, one of the very few who I can listen to an extended solo from with genuine enjoyment rather than getting bored and wishing it would end.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 2

There are several highly rated albums  (by the NME etc anyway) that went over my head when I heard them around the time they were released. I'm giving them another chance to see if age has mellowed by opinion of them

Loveless by My Bloody Valentine - nope it's no better, still sounds like an anaemic version of Psychocandy 

The Queen is Dead by The Smiths - the title track and Bigmouth are ok but the other tracks are pretty unremarkable.

The Bends by Radiohead - Just is ok but the rest? erm...no

Funeral by Arcade Fire - I tried, honest but I still don't get their appeal

40 minutes ago, StickyDBRmf said:

This is really great! (for putting my f*cking sheets on). Lots of weird noises?

You’ve lost me with the sheets but as a band they could push the boundaries a bit. I would like the ability to make the weird noises as well as they could through. Live:

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 2

Japanese bass and drums experimental rock duo:

Kind of sounds like an odd mixture of Primus, Mr. Bungle (particularly their "Disco Volante" album) and Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band (particularly their "Trout Mask Replica" album), but then with the only instrumentation beside vocals being bass and drums.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Japanese bass and drums experimental rock duo:

Kind of sounds like an odd mixture of Primus, Mr. Bungle (particularly their "Disco Volante" album) and Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band (particularly their "Trout Mask Replica" album), but then with the only instrumentation beside vocals being bass and drums.

I’ve seen Tatsuya performing a solo version of Ruins a couple of times. That was pretty intense.

• Like 1