Why become a member? ×

Fender or Squier?

Grangur

Hi all,
Im tempted to invest in a p bass. I know the Squier is a budget version so the pups in the Squier may not be as punchy as the ones in the Fender. There's also a snob value to the Fender.

Yet other than that, what would you buy and why?

Cheers
Richard

Edited by Grangur

Depends on the budget for me.

Generally I'd always want to play a bass before buying it but if I had £500 plus, I'd hunt around here and eBay for a US Precision because I think they're awesome - the ultimate. Plus I've had quite a few US Precisions over the years and have never had a bad one.

If I had less than £500 and couldn't stretch to a US Precision then I'd 100% want to play it before buying.

It all depends on the individual bass itself...
The early Japanese Squires are, I think well respected nowadays

My lad has an early Chinese Squier P, with pretty bad electrics
(picks up local taxis etc) and when you try to inspect the wiring
it just breaks at the slightest touch
I gather the newer Chinese models are rather better
(Modern players series?)

I've got an Indonesian built P bass, and it's brilliant
It's got 2 pickups, rather than the one
the electrics are fine, and it sounds absolutely awesome
Nothing wrong with those pickups.....

I used to own an USA Fender P, years back
and I'd say the Indonesian wins hands down, on every aspect;
it's lighter, sounds better, more flexible in the sounds you create, easier to play / better neck profile

Of course, if I still had my early 70's USA bass, I could flog it and buy several Squiers.....

I have a Roadworn series Fender Jazz, which is by far & away THE best Fender I have ever played
it looks and sounds completely convincing as a 62 Jazz
Of course, there are those who would point out that it's made in Mexico
but I wouldn't swap it for any USA model - and I've played several....

I've also played a few Mexican Fenders which have been bad too
One was a horrible lump of firewood IMO
But they do vary from batch to batch

I wouldn't worry whether it's Chinese, Japanese, Mexican, or USA, Fender or Squier;
Just try before buying really.....
make sure you get the bass you want, and don't be seduced into something that's more expensive
just because you want the "right" badge

Good luck, and let us know what you go for

Marc

Try both. You'll probably find the Squier almost indistinguishable from the Fender - except for a big difference in price. Buy second hand and you won't see any devaluation.

There's nothing wrong with Squier pickups - my P-bass special (PJ) sounds great

I've got the amber/maple Squier VM P bass and though I've never tried any Fender P basses I'm very happy with it. There's a review on the Fender website where a Squier owner says it plays better than his favourite Fender '58 P bass that he owned so he sold that to a friend and happily pocketed the cash... http://www.fender.com/squier/series/vintage-modified/vintage-modified-precision-bass-maple-fingerboard-amber/

+1 to trying both. Don't fall into the trap of deciding on Fender because you want a Fender decal on the headstock. Squier basses are excellent in their own right, or at least they can be. But again, you have to try them for yourself. A squier VM Jazz I owned briefly surprised me with its build quality, playability and sound - so don't dismiss them out of hand.

I have owned both and if I was to own another I may buy a Squier and swap the pick ups and tuners and it would still be a shed load cheaper than a proper Fender but saying that the neck on my Fender was awesome best neck I have ever played but why not check out the Vintage Icon series bass they are a lot of bass for your money but but a touch on the heavy side for me but the quality and sound cannot be faulted

If you think you are going to play it a lot and often go for a Fender.

If you are going to play with it once or twice buy a Squire.

As long as niether are made in China I think you'll be okay. I recently had a Fender Dimension bass from the Chinese factory and it was bloody awful!

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1402485948' post='2473981']
I wouldn't worry whether it's Chinese, Japanese, Mexican, or USA, Fender or Squier; Just try before buying really.....
make sure you get the bass you want, and don't be seduced into something that's more expensive just because you want the "right" badge[/quote]

Can't fault this logic at all B)

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1402485037' post='2473964']
"....There's also a anob value to the Fender."
[/quote]

that's not quite true, not all Fender players are nobs... ;)

I've had both, Fender and Squier are both good.... but then my cheapie Westfield P does the same job too.

as above try 'um all and let your wallet, fingers and ears decide.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1402485443' post='2473969']
I'm also tempted by P basses at the moment... I'm thinking 63AVRI in faded sonic blue.. yum.

Or maybe an old Tokai Hardpuncher.

Someone put a thread up of the squire CV yesterday, it looked lovely.
[/quote]

You not pulled the trigger on that yet Rob?

Get it bought! You won't regret it.....

+1 on trying the Squier CV's

[quote name='stingraybassman' timestamp='1402498609' post='2474160']
You not pulled the trigger on that yet Rob?

Get it bought! You won't regret it.....

+1 on trying the Squier CV's
[/quote]

I'm trying to resist.... the guy selling it lives about a mile from my house as well :unsure:

I will also +1 the Squier CV series - I was sorely tempted by both the '50s and '60s model. Both played really well for what were nominally "budget" instruments. That said, I came even closer to pulling the trigger on a MIA Precision (2012 model, I think), even though it had three or four times the price tag on it!

Bear in mind that you could always pop a better pickup into the Squier without too much risk of massive heartbreak, or too much risk of breaking the bank. But try both.

Try as many as possible is good advice. I`ve had many Precisions, Squier Affinity, Korean, CV, MIM Fenders inc Standard and Signature Models, plus the Classic 50s & 70s, US 70s, 90s, early 2000s, 2008 Series, and 2012 Series.

Loved them all, however my faves were the 78 (still got it) 97 US, 2011 US, and Korean Squier (had two of these, still have one). So I have a 78 US, and a Korean Squier at present. The 78 has the best recorded sound I`ve ever had and plays well, I have to coax tones from it, rather than letting it do all the work. The Squier is light, sounds good, and has a great neck. One cost over £1000, the other just over £100. Moral to this, the fingers can`t read the badge.

I would say however, that there seems to be more consistency in the US 2008 Series than in any other range I`ve tried. Had 4 of these, all great basses (would have been great to keep them all). You can pick them up between £500 & £700 on here. That would be my recommendation if the budget allows.