Why become a member? ×

anyone used guitarstoreonline? or GAK

hollywoodrox

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1402221007' post='2471018']

This pops up from time to time and seems to be something GAK can't seem to shake off. I can't recommend them highly enough. Knowledgable staff, excellent service and after sales support. I do find the Scotland thing a little strange and I'm going to look I into that one. I suspect that might be something that's bounced down from the courier they use.
[/quote]

It probably is courier dependent but I've been buying things on the Internet for fifteen years and GAK are literally the only people who've ever wanted to charge me extra for living in Edinburgh.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1402178916' post='2470840']
GAK have an utterly ludicrous policy with regards shipping to Scotland (the "free shipping over £99“ policy they have splashed all over their website doesn't apply for addresses anywhere in Scotland).

I wanted to buy a zoom b3.

Postage from thomann (in Germany) to anywhere in the UK? About £7.

Postage from GAK to Newcastle? Free.

Postage from GAK to Edinburgh? £13.39!

Funnily enough I voted with my feet!
[/quote]
Really bad! I've just spent 30 minutes browsing speaker cabinets and abandoned it at the last hurdle due to this. Reckon it's easily grounds for an ASA complaint - nowhere at all does it state 'England & Wales only". (NI gets a rough deal along with Scotland!)
Highlands & Islands quite often need to pay extra, but, no courier company I'm aware of charges an additional fee to deliver to Central Scotland. All the big couriers have depots up here, so really no reason for the surcharge.

If you had asked me a month ago I would have given a massive thumbs up for GAK, but sadly I am a little indifferent now. The sale was easy and I got a good price and swift delivery no probs. But my bass head failed at a recent gig which meant returning for warranty, and that's when my experience has tainted. Firstly they cocked up the pickup date, leaving my wife stuck at home with the two screaming kids for a full day with no one showing. Finally Mande arrangement to pick it up which was no problem, but no confirmation from the store to say it had arrived and been dispatched. I the. Knowing I would be without an amp for a few weeks, I contacted them to see if they could do a better price than advertised on one of the same brand's smaller heads to which I got no response (I thought a. Opportunity to sell another amp would have got at least some response) and here we are 3 weeks later and still no amp. While I appreciate that they are at the mercy of the manufacturer for the repair, but can't help by feel a little let down by the service and lack of communication. I'll let you know how this all ends!!

Please read my new post, issue resolved and would happily use GAK again.

Edited by Damonjames

Hi guys. Mark from GAK here. Thanks for the (mostly) great feedback.

@damonjames - Drop me an email at [email protected] with your order number. I'll have a look at what's been going on and see why you've had poor communication from us.

As for the issue of delivery to Scotland, I've been aware if this for a while and have been pushing to get this standardised with the rest of mainland UK. As of today (thanks to the power of Basschat) [b]we're now offering free delivery to Scotland on any purchase over £99![/b] Good work everyone.

If you've got any more feedback that you think might be useful either leave it here, DM me or email me directly at the address above.

[quote name='mark_random' timestamp='1402317977' post='2472004']

@damonjames - Drop me an email at [email protected] with your order number. I'll have a look at what's been going on and see why you've had poor communication from us.

As for the issue of delivery to Scotland, I've been aware if this for a while and have been pushing to get this standardised with the rest of mainland UK. As of today (thanks to the power of Basschat) [b]we're now offering free delivery to Scotland on any purchase over £99![/b] Good work everyone.

If you've got any more feedback that you think might be useful either leave it here, DM me or email me directly at the address above.
[/quote]

Hooray, top work. Next time I'm ordering something I'll check you guys out.

Thanks Mark :D

Often used GAK and they have been very good to great every single time.
Wouldn't hestitate to give them a call.

A mate of mine recently did nearly a 1000 pub food covers in a bank hol weekend...
He has 3 complaints and guess what...they ALL ended up on trip advisor.

First thing anyone should do, is contact the business and let them sort it, or not.
After that, the internet recourse might be fair game.
But also... post your good reviews as quickly as you post the bad ones...

I've used GAK loads of times with no problems... even dropped a few prices on bigger orders for me, same with Thomann and Gear4Music.

Agree with the 'next day delivery' thing though. I waited two months for a bass once then gave up and cancelled the order.... To be fair I was kept informed throughout, may be an idea to not list stuff they can't get hold of though.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='mark_random' timestamp='1402317977' post='2472004']

[/quote]

That's excellent work.

My only other suggestion would be to proactively push people through from your website to your Telesales guys when an item is 'available to order' rather than in stock.

You would only need to change the messaging to 'Call us on 0800 XXX XXX to order' but then you could have a frank conversation about the realistic delivery times, switch sell customers to similar products if they aren't willing to wait and avoid the hassle of wiping a bunch of cancelled orders off your books. I'm pretty certain your conversion would be flat if not improved as a result, and it's a much improved experience for your customers.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1402322836' post='2472105']
Often used GAK and they have been very good to great every single time.
Wouldn't hestitate to give them a call.

A mate of mine recently did nearly a 1000 pub food covers in a bank hol weekend...
He has 3 complaints and guess what...they ALL ended up on trip advisor.

First thing anyone should do, is contact the business and let them sort it, or not.
After that, the internet recourse might be fair game.
But also... post your good reviews as quickly as you post the bad ones...
[/quote]

I agree totally, and I think I may have left positive feedback in another thread regarding GAK and their customer service prior to my amp having problems. In the interest of transparency I felt leaving an honest (and I think fair and non accusatory) account was appropriate.

To Mark, I would give massive thumbs up for having the courage to front up on behalf of your business, I will email the details shortly.

Edited by Damonjames

Have had very good experiences with GAK, Dolphin, Andertons and Gear4Music, and a very special mention for MusicMatter in Preston, Lancs - a firm I never see mentioned here (they have no basses at all, mind), but who have been great to deal with for me - very personal and serviceminded.

Same with Thomann. Exactly how things should be.
(BTW, they were like that in the sixties as well, when my parents took me there. A pleasure to deal with.)

No experience with Guitarstoreonline.

Edit to say that sadly, none of the shops local to me have had the same level of quality and service.

Edited by BassTractor