Why become a member? ×

anyone used guitarstoreonline? or GAK

hollywoodrox

Hi im buying a squier vintage modified guitarstore online have the model in that I want also GAK,

I thought GAK were ok but have read some bad reviews, I have never used guitarstore online, I usually use absolute music or nevada.

gear for music also have in what I want but im a bit dubious as they are always selling stuff on ebay that has been broken. Guitar store online looks quite good. just curious if anyone else used them.

just looked Thoman also have it and cheaper, never dealt with them for a big item though. I like the look of guitar store online its a small guitar shop. what would you do ?

Edited by hollywoodrox

I've used GAK for things like cases and they were fine. Used Dolphin and Gear 4 Music for a bass and combo respectively and again fine.

Most of the online stores seem pretty good, as with any retailer though there always seems to be times when something goes awry.

Gear4music sell off a few items that got broken in transit [b]to them [/b]on eBay. Don't think that should affect you when buying a solid bass!

It does call into question G4music's eBay policy however, for the few quid they get on a damaged guitar, amp or bass it creates a bit of a junkyard impression and having visited their showroom, it is far from that!

Edited by yorks5stringer

Bought my Genz Benz combo from GAK, good service and price, very smooth transaction and it was delivered safe and sound. I've also bought a new Squier from PMT online (which I think has some connection to Dolphin because that's what the paperwork suggested when it arrived) and again everything went well with no problems.

[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1402162770' post='2470648']
Can vouch for GAK, have used them a few times for online orders and would happily use them again.
[/quote]

Likewise, bought basses, guitars, amps, cabs, strings & effects from them, no problems with anything. They also did a really good price match for me, though as it was a rather large purchase, that`s probably why.

GAK have an utterly ludicrous policy with regards shipping to Scotland (the "free shipping over £99“ policy they have splashed all over their website doesn't apply for addresses anywhere in Scotland).

I wanted to buy a zoom b3.

Postage from thomann (in Germany) to anywhere in the UK? About £7.

Postage from GAK to Newcastle? Free.

Postage from GAK to Edinburgh? £13.39!

Funnily enough I voted with my feet!

used GAK several times had a couple of problems with boxes arriving badly damaged also had stuff go missing once but dan thomas at gak sorted things out and took care of the problems. so i can recommend them.

Every so often a 'GAK - any good?' thread pops up, and the posts are pretty consistent - lots of 'yes, I bought from them, all good' replies, and a few 2nd- or 3rd-hand reports of problems. I fall into the first category.

As planer mentioned above, they are a proper shop, not just a massive warehouse full of boxes (although I guess they must have one of those too). If you are ever in Brighton, I strongly encourage you to go for a browse. I spent 10 minutes gazing slack-jawed at the new and used pedals in one of the windows, before I even went in!

You can't miss the shop, it looks like this:

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1402223053' post='2471053']
That looks like a dangerous place to enter.

If you've no willpower like me that is.
[/quote]

Fortunately I just walked around in a daze, with a little bit of dribble coming out of the corner of my mouth. I couldn't even decide what I wanted to try! Then we had to rescue the car before the parking charge exceed our combined annual income.

Bought a combo from GAK, had to send it back because it was faulty but had no problems doing so. I would use them again.

The one 'watch out' with their website is they occasionally list items as 'available to order' when said items are long discontinued or out of production. The website will still let you complete a full order including payment on these items - my suggestion would be to call them if you see anything other than 'next day delivery' next to the item you want. Otherwise you'll be out of pocket and disappointed!

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1402221629' post='2471031']
Every so often a 'GAK - any good?' thread pops up, and the posts are pretty consistent - lots of 'yes, I bought from them, all good' replies, and a few 2nd- or 3rd-hand reports of problems. I fall into the first category.

As planer mentioned above, they are a proper shop, not just a massive warehouse full of boxes (although I guess they must have one of those too). If you are ever in Brighton, I strongly encourage you to go for a browse. I spent 10 minutes gazing slack-jawed at the new and used pedals in one of the windows, before I even went in!
Wow the shop surely does look like a heaven on earth,
You can't miss the shop, it looks like this:

[/quote]