Why become a member? ×

Weighing a bass - a difficult task?

wateroftyne

I use two kitchen scales, an old fashioned analogue one and a digital one, and if the weight tallies on both of them then I know it is probably accurate. The digital one tends to not want to settle on a final figure but fluctuates between about an ounce lighter and heavier, but it still helps me verify the reading on the analogue scale .

How heavy a bass weighs is the deal breaker above all else for me these days due to back issues.
I quite fancy a Squier VM P5 and was going to ring around to try and source the lightest one (they seem to weigh between 7.5lb and 9lb so I don't fancy taking pot luck there really).
www.sweetwater.com in the states show the exact weight of all their basses in stock. Wish someone over here would!

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1401929712' post='2468489']
Check the manufacturers website - many include weight as part of the spec. Failing that, try Google.
What bass is it?
[/quote]

We've discussed this earlier - there's too much natural variance from bass to bass.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1401945762' post='2468502']
We've discussed this earlier - there's too much natural variance from bass to bass.
[/quote]

Time and again you will see something like a 75 Precision at 8lbs, or at 11.5lbs. When you are an old git with shoulder pains 2 hours x extra 3.5lbs = bloody uncomfortable.
That is ONE of the reasons I fell in love with the Dusty Hill I tried yesterday :gas:

Why not go into GG & try the bass out? This way you can try a few & see what one sits the most comfortable on you.
When buying online, you have that risk where they may weigh the bass & you're happy with it & then in error, send one that looks the same but weighs more.

Clearly going into the shop and trying it would be my preferred option, but neither are in Newcastle.

And yes, I suppose I could ask GuitarGuitar to send them both to the shop, but what's the point if they're boat anchors?

This shouldn't really be that complicated IMO. Other retailers have managed it...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1401952252' post='2468541']
Clearly going into the shop and trying it would be my preferred option, but neither are in Newcastle.

And yes, I suppose I could ask GuitarGuitar to send them both to the shop, but what's the point if they're boat anchors?

This shouldn't really be that complicated IMO. Other retailers have managed it...
[/quote]

Amen!

[list]
[*]tell them to fill a bath to the brim with water
[*]drop the bass in to bath
[*]collect all the water that overflows
[*]weigh the water
[*]this will be same as the bass (mass actually but for practical purposes tell them it's weight so as not to confuse them any more than they are already
[/list]

hope this helps :)

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1401900429' post='2468085']
The standing on a bathroom scale method is also way to imprecise to be much real use if you seriously want to know what a bass weighs, not least of all because bathroom scales are not calibrated precisely enough for you to see what the difference is .

The best thing for weighing a bass is a proper industrial postal scale , but they are expensive to buy .

[/quote]

Pish and tush. How many people own an industrial postal scale, let alone carry one about with them?

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1401901406' post='2468104']
How about those spring loaded jobs that fishermen use? You wouldn't expect them to be miles out (unless they were sold to provide 'enhanced' weights ;) ) They must use decent ones when they are having proper competitions and the like. You'd think a good size carp would be in the ballpark of a bass (no fish puns please) so they might be in the right range?
[/quote]

Exactly my thinking some years ago, Kev, which is why I bought http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fishsense-Weighlite-Fishing-Scale-and-Measure-Weighs-Up-To-65lb-With-Batteries-/350846649199?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&var=&hash=item51b017036f

The scales themselves weigh only a few ounces and I frequently take them to bass bashes and even occasionally to shops, they are as accurate as they need to be to satisfy dedicated fishermen, the hook thingy at the bottom is perfect for tuners, and they have been borrowed several times by other Basschatters.

This "no way to weigh" issue is a problem with no excuse for existing.

Incidentally, I'm astonished that Michael has had to explain why the weight of a bass is important to him. One thing that has changed about Basschat (for the better) in recent years is recognition that some of us are actually a bit older than we used to be, and that very few of us are professional weight-lifters who think nothing of playing a 3-setter with a 5Kg boat-anchor slung over our shoulder.

If you're a bass-player who has no back problems then congratulations and long may that continue. Sadly, it won't be for ever ... your lumbar region is waiting (weighting?) for you, lurking in a shadowed doorway with a baseball bat, and ready to totally spoil your whole day.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1401955852' post='2468570']
Exactly my thinking some years ago, Kev, which is why I bought [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fishsense-Weighlite-Fishing-Scale-and-Measure-Weighs-Up-To-65lb-With-Batteries-/350846649199?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&var=&hash=item51b017036f"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item51b017036f[/url]
[/quote]

Yep that's the sort of thing I had in mind. You could even just hang it on that with the strap then you'd have a proper 'gigging weight' with strap included. I still suspect with WOT's issue that GG just don't want to get it out of its delivery packaging to check.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1401959269' post='2468611']
I still suspect with WOT's issue that GG just don't want to get it out of its delivery packaging to check.
[/quote]

You may well be right.

As an aside, I'd have much more confidence buying a bass mail order knowing the retailer had opened it up to check it was OK before sending it out.

Even if the retailer didn't want to open the box before shipping it out a little bit of lateral thinking can solve the problem.

We know that each example of a particular model of bass weighs a different amount. However it is fairly safe to assume that the packaging they come in and the extras that come with the bass weigh the same. The shop must have taken some of the basses out of their packaging to put them on display.

So weight the packaging and extras on their own. Then weigh an unopened box. Deduct the weight of the packaging form that and you have the weight of the bass inside the box. Simple for anyone with a brain!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1401945762' post='2468502']
[/quote]

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1401894855' post='2467993']
It varies from tree to tree... weighing the bass itself is the only answer.
[/quote]
If a manufacturer made a series of basses using the same parts, wood type, hardware etc I would expect there to be very little noticeable difference in weight.
Some older instruments where specs were frequently changed, weight would be harder to nail.
To answer your original question: You're weren't asking too much of them. I'd phone them and ask again. What is the bass?

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1401954023' post='2468552'][list]
[*]tell them to fill a bath to the brim with water
[*]drop the bass in to bath
[*]collect all the water that overflows
[*]weigh the water
[*]this will be same as the bass (mass actually but for practical purposes tell them it's weight so as not to confuse them any more than they are already
[/list]
hope this helps :)
[/quote]

[pedant]
No, this will give the volume. The weight will depend on the specific gravity of the bass and its components. A hollow bass will displace the same volume as a solid, but will weigh less (typically...).
[/pedant]

Anyway, it's not a Good Idea to dip a whole bass (instrument; not the fish...) in water; they don't like it up 'em... :lol:

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1401970079' post='2468764']
[pedant]
No, this will give the volume. The weight will depend on the specific gravity of the bass and its components. A hollow bass will displace the same volume as a solid, but will weigh less (typically...).
[/pedant]

Anyway, it's not a Good Idea to dip a whole bass (instrument; not the fish...) in water; they don't like it up 'em... :lol:
[/quote]

if it feels too heavy you could always ask a friend to hold it up while you play it :gas:

I'm badly placed to comment (I'm basically a drummer..! :blush: ) but I don't really understand why, if weight is such an issue (with which I fully sympathise...), why are hollow or semi-hollow instruments not more solicited..? I should declare by interest; I play mostly a Hofner Verithin bass, which is as light as a very light thing. There are many other models out there, with or without centre blocks, weighing very much less than these 'boat anchors' (yes, I've a Cort fiver and a 6-string fretless; I feel the difference...).
I know that the tone is not identical (OK, I'm a drummer, but not [i]completely [/i]deaf...), but it's not that hard to get excellent sounds from most decently-built basses these days, and if one's health is so important (I agree with that...), a change of style could be a positive move from all points of view, no..? Of course, if one can only ever be happy with a lump of mahogany around one's neck, I can't argue further, but then I'd be looking more for a floor stand than a specifically light model of a bass. Maybe I'm wrong; it has been known... :unsure:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1401971011' post='2468774']
I'm badly placed to comment (I'm basically a drummer..! :blush: ) but I don't really understand why, if weight is such an issue (with which I fully sympathise...), why are hollow or semi-hollow instruments not more solicited..?
[/quote]

The answer in my case is simply that I like Precisions, and there are light ones out there.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1401970079' post='2468764']
[pedant]
[/pedant]

[/quote]
Wrong. The bass will float and the weight of the water displaced will equal the weight of the bass.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1401955852' post='2468570']
Pish and tush. How many people own an industrial postal scale, let alone carry one about with them?

Exactly my thinking some years ago, Kev, which is why I bought [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fishsense-Weighlite-Fishing-Scale-and-Measure-Weighs-Up-To-65lb-With-Batteries-/350846649199?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&var=&hash=item51b017036f"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item51b017036f[/url]

The scales themselves weigh only a few ounces and I frequently take them to bass bashes and even occasionally to shops, they are as accurate as they need to be to satisfy dedicated fishermen, the hook thingy at the bottom is perfect for tuners, and they have been borrowed several times by other Basschatters.

This "no way to weigh" issue is a problem with no excuse for existing.

Incidentally, I'm astonished that Michael has had to explain why the weight of a bass is important to him. One thing that has changed about Basschat (for the better) in recent years is recognition that some of us are actually a bit older than we used to be, and that very few of us are professional weight-lifters who think nothing of playing a 3-setter with a 5Kg boat-anchor slung over our shoulder.

If you're a bass-player who has no back problems then congratulations and long may that continue. Sadly, it won't be for ever ... your lumbar region is waiting (weighting?) for you, lurking in a shadowed doorway with a baseball bat, and ready to totally spoil your whole day.
[/quote]1
]

If you read my post you will see that I acknowledged that proper postal scales are not a very practical option for most people. They are, however , the most accurate way to weigh a bass. Postal scales are what more reputable shops and manufacturers who want to give an accurate weight to their customers, like Sadowsky at their NYC workshop for example , use to weigh basses Not pish and tosh, then. :)

I'm sure a decent quality fishing scale or luggage scale is enough to give a fair estimation of the weight of any given bass, just like my two kitchen scale method. But a postal scale is the most accurate, nevertheless.