Why become a member? ×

G+L opinions?

civilian_project

G&L basses are great. The Tributes represent great value for money - especially second hand. I own or have owned a Tribute L-2000, an El Toro and a Tribute M-2000. Have played a USA L-2000 and an SB-2. All of them have played well, been well screwed together and had good finishes on them. Of course, you're only going to get a USA LB-100, no Tribute version of that is available.

I've never had a USA G&L new out of the box before, but I can foresee few (if any) problems.

For the money they are really great stuff. I owned a tribute series five string but it would appear on reading everyone else's opinion I got the only runt of the litter.
My bass was useless, shabby finish on the electronic controls mountings and the truss rod took an age to get set to a comfortable action.
But I'm the only one who will likely say anything bad, id try another if one came along at the right price to see what a good one plays like.

I've a '95 USA SB2 and a more modern Tribute L2000 and they're both great, though the QC is better on the USA - the L2K has a slightly dodgy pot and hasn't got the tightest neck pocket in the world, but tbh hasn't ever really bothered me

They don't make a Tribute LB100, so you'll be getting a USA made instrument with the QC to match, I'd imagine it'll be built to order so you'll be able to specify neck profile, wood, finish etc.

However, I would suggest looking at the SB2 that is in the classifieds section at the moment, solo the split coil pickup and roll the volume down and it'll do that classic P-bass thump easy.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/236698-usa-2005-g-l-sb-2-for-sale/

If that come up last September time, I'd have bitten his hand off - I love that finish

I had an L-2000 and it was fantastic but stupidly sold it for something else that's long gone. Fantastic neck and played really well.

However, earlier this year I spotted on Thomann a limited edition Mahogany L-2000. it was limited to 50 worldwide and I decided to go for it. When i got it, however, the body felt like it hadn't been sanded properly and was really rough plus the neck was so thick front to back that I couldn't have played it so it went back for a refund.

I'd still like another but if I do go for one i would need to play it first

Since Leo Fender got the MM so right you basically had the final draft right from the gun, so
there isn't anything the G&L could add IMO...

I think they do ok now, but that might be more about what EB has done with the MM brand
than a need for a G&L.
I tend to think the G&L basses tend to try to be everything and don't convince at most..

I am not saying they aren't decent basses...just a bit blah..!!!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1401799882' post='2466947']
Since Leo Fender got the MM so right you basically had the final draft right from the gun, so
there isn't anything the G&L could add IMO...

I think they do ok now, but that might be more about what EB has done with the MM brand
than a need for a G&L.
I tend to think the G&L basses tend to try to be everything and don't convince at most..

I am not saying they aren't decent basses...just a bit blah..!!!
[/quote]

I got into G&L because I couldn't get Rays to work in every situation. The G&L for me is a one stop solution. Doesn't come with an eye catching pick guard or cool looking 3+1 headstock though!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1401799198' post='2466938']
Only seen a few of them, or heard them, but I seem to see a few neck problem threads every now and then.
[/quote]

Can you link me a few please? I've missed those.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1401957904' post='2468596']
Can you link me a few please? I've missed those.
[/quote]

It would involve a few searches on Talkbass....there was one chap recently who waited months and months, then sent it back, then something else happened and I'm sure he had to get a third bass. I could be wrong. If you search G&L on Talkbass there should be a few things that come up.

It's probably a very small percentage that don't turn up right.

I have a G&L USA JB-2 which is marvellous. I got it after owning a MM 3eq Stingray. The Ray just didn't cut it for me and had that old famed weak G. I also felt that the G&L had better build quality. I was very disappointed with the Ray as I had hoped that it would complement my MM SUB which is a great bass.

Edited by Hutton

It's worth bearing in mind that a friend's dad bought one of the double H pickup basses (L2000?) and it looked like a stunner in all natural finish.

As with all companies, if it turns up with a problem, you don't really have much to worry about apart from them sorting it out.

I'm quite suprised they haven't been more popular.

For me, the humbucker tones sound great but not my usual tastes. I've seen the recent reviews online for the P bass they've re-released, and for me it isn't Fendery enough. That's me though...and its only a youtube demo.

L2500 USA owner, awesome bass. Prefer it over Stingrays that I played for many years. Pretty sure it will not be my last G&L I buy, M2500 USA at some point. Build quality, finish, parts, all top stuff and a little more friendly on the wallet than some of the more well known peers.

I had a Tribute L2000 that was excellent. I only sold it because I had one of those 'I need a change' GAS episodes. I now have a USA L1505. It sounds monstrous, but it is a bit of a beast to tame. Despite it being strung with flats, I have to be really careful with my left hand damping to make sure unwanted 5th-fret harmonics don't ring out.

I run a '97 US L2500 as my main bass - can't fault it at all. I prefer playing it to the Wal! I've played Tributes before, and for the money, out of the box, you can't really complain. A bass is only really as good as the setup though, there are some great basses out there let down by shoddy setups and such.

The things I like about mine are that, it sounds good. I mean, REALLY good. I leave the EQ on my amp and MXR on flat and haven't yet had issues getting a sound suitable for a song out of it. Last night's gig was cab-less, so I was running straight from the M80+ to the desk, and it sounded absolutely fantastic through the PA on it's own.

It also looks great, they're real head turners, but they're not ostentatious or flashy. People in the know, know exactly what it is and how good a product it is. Those who aren't in the know and are only interested in a 'big' brand, haven't a clue. That's fine by me.

Value for money - what can I say? Mine cost me less than £1000. I've played Fenders and such for more than that, which I wouldn't trade it for.

Then there's exclusivity, in the UK, they're not overly common. I still see it as a nice surprise to see another one at a gig somewhere, especially a US model.

My recommendation is to go for one, you won't regret it, and if you do? It'll easily sell on.