Why become a member? ×

Post gig exhaustion

SpaceChick

Was wondering if it was just me.

The day after a gig I am always completely exhausted. I tend to spend the day (assuming weekend gig) sprawled out on the sofa watching TV and knitting!!

I am usually a very busy person, so it always amazes me on my post gig days when I don't have the energy to rush around like my usual busy manner!!

I am usually an early to bed, early to rise person, so I wonder if it's as much the late night as it is me putting my all into a performance!

I also have ridiculously strange vivid dreams after gigs (last night I was playing with my band in a holiday camp for aliens?!? WTF?!?)

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1401630982' post='2465325']...(last night I was playing with my band in a holiday camp for aliens?!? WTF?!?)[/quote]

I'm not surprised that you're having vivid dreams if that's the gigs you're playing..! It might explain the fatigue, too. :rolleyes: :lol: :P

I know the feeling! Always feel quite quite zonked out the next day, even if I get a good night's sleep.

I never touch any alcohol on gig days/nights, or when I get home, so it's not that!

Mostly work Saturday's, but I find if I'm up and about - and at work - I don't feel as sluggish as if I were at home.

Off to play a Wedding reception tonight.....so late night + that Monday feeling....great! :([size=4] [/size]

Have you tried having a little kip in the afternoon before the gig Deb? I got the idea from Johnny Cash and my drummer, who both do/did this. About 4pm I go and lie on the bed for 30-40mins with a blanket over me, curtains drawn, and just snooze and/or think happy thoughts. I rarely go off fully to sleep, but it really helps to refresh me, and means I am not running on the cr4p in the bottom of the fuel tank by the end of the gig.

Yup, same here, I've always assumed it's a combination of adrenalin, a few hours of physical work on stage and setting up and breaking down the PA. After that it's late to bed and only a few hours before the children wake me up.

Yeah, I tend to be exhausted the day after most gigs, I still put everything into each gig so am knackered and ache the day after....so perfect for a 4 hour recording session this afternoon then.....and next week a 4 hour practice, and the following week a radio session....not really thought that one through have I!

Not for me, gigged last night (home about 1am, bed by 1.45 after a cuppa!) Up this morning @ 9ish & out for a long (14mile) Sunday run by 9.30 - rest of the day doing the other 'Sunday' stuff (gardening, shopping etc) b4 work 2moro!

Always knackered the day after, a kip does help a bit though.
More worrying is I'm usually feel really lost / depressed by the time I get home, even if its been a really good one. Sort of an anti climax thing I spose, when I was younger it would always be a piss up after, or at least a curry, but these days us old gits all go our seperate ways till the next one, so theres no
craic which just dont seem right.

This seems to affect some people more than others, my band regularly play 6 gigs between Thursday night and Monday morning and after the first couple I tend to go into zombie mode; Sunday nights can be a nightmare without large amounts of RedBull. The other guys in the band barely seem affected though, so presumably ukuleles take up less mental energy to play than my U-Bass...