Why become a member? ×

Is my hunch way off?

Evil Undead

Lovely '69 fender jazz for sale - can't decide if it's genuine or not. Only thing that bothers me is the "sharpness" of the edges on the body. Every fender p or j I've played has had much smoother transistions around the body edges.

Am I way off the mark?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171342135778

The body does look quite slabby doesn't it.
Fender's back then were all shaped by hand on sanding machines so they weren't as consistent as our CNC basses of today of course. Maybe it was a friday avo bass :)
May be legit. Looks bloody lovely mind.

Edit.. The "70's" logo as it's known was used from '68

Edited by miles'tone

It's not the best description from someone asking £2,900 for a bass.

There's so many details missing it's either someone who doesn't really know much about dating an old Fender or it simply isn't completely legit (or a bit of both).

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1401143925' post='2460621']
No idea about the period specific details, but the condition of the neck and tuners is jarringly off from the condition of the body and hardware which looks way too new and shiny, and no pics of the relevant date stamps from the neck/pocket/pots.
[/quote]

^ this the tuners especially look like a determined relic job + while being no expert I think in 1969 they were still on tug-bars ratrher than thumb-rests.

I'm no-one's Fender expert but if it's genuine - body's a refin, ashtrays & thumbrest are brand new. It's drilled for a tug bar - or at least the scratchplate is.

Very odd choice of angles for most of the pics, and no pics at all of the back of the body, no clear view of the neckplate.

Jon.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1401145337' post='2460627']

^ this the tuners especially look like a determined relic job + while being no expert I think in 1969 they were still on tug-bars ratrher than thumb-rests.
[/quote]

There are tugbar screwholes (at least there are on the scratchplate) so it could just have been moved

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1401146112' post='2460638']
There are tugbar screwholes (at least there are on the scratchplate) so it could just have been moved[/quote]

Doh! I'll have to get Hubble to make me a new pair of lenses, but now that you mention it that scratchplate would have discoloured by now too.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1401145456' post='2460632']
I thought that this was going to be about Quasimodo. Oh well.
[/quote]

Me too.

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Just%20Stuff/Sundry/hunchback_zps3419e442.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Just%20Stuff/Sundry/hunchback_zps3419e442.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

IMHO it's a case of what is 'not' being said or shown that would make me walk away. VERY vague non-committal with the description, yes contact for details but then you would expect to be able to any way. No one thing shouts out to me but as a whole the bass just doesn't seem quite right.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1401174574' post='2460710']
To be fair to the seller, they do state to contact them regarding any queries.
They may even be up for an in person inspection from a buyer. Don't know til you ask!
[/quote]

Of course.

Maybe he has been sold it as he describes it.

Mainly, I'm just seeing how my "Fender-identifying" skills are coming along :)

If you look at the photo of the back of the neck, you can make out the number of digits in the neck plate serial number. (Appears to start with 11. In all, 7digits in this case whereas I thought that there should only be 6 digits in a 69 serial number. I stand to be corrected of course.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1401188563' post='2460886']

Of course.

Maybe he has been sold it as he describes it.

Mainly, I'm just seeing how my "Fender-identifying" skills are coming along :)
[/quote]

Sorry there Mel, my comment was meant towards the people who wanted to see the pots and date marks.

As for your Id skills :) they are coming along just fine. Well done for questioning the body shape, you were right to.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1401191398' post='2460929']

Sorry there Mel, my comment was meant towards the people who wanted to see the pots and date marks.

As for your Id skills :) they are coming along just fine. Well done for questioning the body shape, you were right to.
[/quote]

No apology needed dude :)

Thanks! It's good to know that I've picked up one or two things in the many hours I've spent staring at, reading about and playing basses :D