Why become a member? ×

Tribute bands

Roger2611

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1400526522' post='2454695']
I may wear sunglasses as a concession to a Blues Bro gig [/quote]

Black sunglasses on a BB tribute gig ain't a concession,
They are more important than the right crotchets and quavers.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1400540428' post='2454882']
Are you really interested in what I regard to be good music?
[/quote]
I'm just interested to find out what actually is 'good music'.

I will soon be playing James Last & Karlheinz Stockhausen vinyl LPs played back to back and will report back on my own conclusion later today.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1400541746' post='2454888']
I will soon be playing James Last & Karlheinz Stockhausen vinyl LPs played back to back and will report back on my own conclusion later today.
[/quote]
I can happily report back my findings. I played Ra-Ta-Ta by the James Last Orchestra and Kontakte by Karlheinz Stockhausen both on vinyl and played at the same time using two identical Rega Planar 3 turntables. I was found myself tapping my foot, clapping and shouting 'hey!' all the way through one LP but sadly couldn't get enthused or dancing to the James Last LP although i do think that the Stockhausen LP could have benefitted from some of the JLO's brass section and maybe the JLO could have been improved with someone randomly spinning the radio tuning dial throughout the LP. I could go on but i must lay down in a darkened room for a while now. Now what was the point of it again?

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1400530600' post='2454760']
Black sunglasses on a BB tribute gig ain't a concession,
They are more important than the right crotchets and quavers.
[/quote]

As it happens it was the wearing of sunglasses - perhaps cheap sunglasses - that was one of the problems with ZZ Topps. The bassist evidently couldn't see what he was doing and was standing in a very awkward way in order to peer underneath the lenses. Played a few terrible wrong notes, too.

Seen Dressed To Kill twice and they were excellent.
Also seen Iron Maiden, Alice Cooper, Ac/dc tribute bands and all pretty impressive altho some not to my taste but i was there to see other bands but they did all go down an absolute storm and TBH i was having a great time too.

Dave

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1400602742' post='2455370']
Seen a fair few tributes, the best being Bjorn Again, The Jamm & The Likeness. To date, not seen a bad tribute band, which is nice.
[/quote]
Ah yes, I'd forgotten about The Jamm, saw them a few years back at The Fleece and they were very good.

I was in a ZZ TOP trib band for about 3 years. It was a side project of my regular band , Dr Blue. Why ? Because it got us playing in places that wouldn't normally have a pub band like Doc B - all over the UK and in Europe , it also got Doc B in the same places because we would support ourselves. We did huge car shows , night clubs , trib festivals and in Portugal actually replaced ZZ Top when a monster outdoor gig fell through for them and the organisers would have lost a fortune if they' cancelled the event. I enjoyed it - fantastic experience. 50k rig , more lights than Blackpool and chauffeured from sponsor to sponsor in an open limo !! We stopped doing it because I felt I was becoming too much of an actor and we were starting to take regular pub work which I saw no point in doing. I don't really like trib bands enough to go see them regularly but I don't really like seeing other bands anyway - I'm only interested in being a player , not being audience. There are some great players doing it that I stumbled across ( and some complete celeb obsessed arseholes who should get a life too) - and a huge market for it. Simple thing for me - if you like trib bands , play in one or go see one. If you don't - well... don't ! I've never appreciated an alternate view to that and can only put such views down to sniffiness and a 'holier than thou' attitude.