Why become a member? ×

Tribute bands

Roger2611

Tribute bands, there are only a few I'd think of being in, and one day may get round to putting one of them together. Dr Feelgood, CCR and LynSkyn, perhaps Booker T & the MG's, that's it. All the rest have either been done to death or not worth doing in the first place.

Now if I can just find a singer who sounds like John F I'd be sorted...

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1400850028' post='2457518']
Tribute bands, there are only a few I'd think of being in, and one day may get round to putting one of them together. Dr Feelgood, CCR and LynSkyn, perhaps Booker T & the MG's, that's it. All the rest have either been done to death or not worth doing in the first place.

Now if I can just find a singer who sounds like John F I'd be sorted...
[/quote]
Don't Dr Feelgood do the rounds without any of the original members, doesn't that make them a tribute band?

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1400850708' post='2457529']
Don't Dr Feelgood do the rounds without any of the original members, doesn't that make them a tribute band?
[/quote]

I think you are thinking of the 007 Tribute - Dr Nogood.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1400835125' post='2457330']
The thought of doing just 1 trib act all the time and nothing else wouldn't keep me interested for very long, probably go a bit mental actually.
[/quote]

I wonder how Macca feels about being in a Beatles tribute band ;)

I have seen High-on Maiden a couple of times and a Beatles tribute that I think was called The Fab Four. Enjoyed both.

I'd be up for a Rammstein tribute band made up of chubbies. As long as I got to set fire to stuff.

I used to work for the bass player for AB/CD. Never saw them play, though, can't stand AC/DC, so not much point really. They once supported the Stereophonics in an arena in Cardiff after winning a competition on MTV.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1400855992' post='2457627']
At least he gets to change the set around a bit as he still writes new material every few years. And with that sort of back catalog plus the Wings and solo material I guess it's not much of a hardship ;)
[/quote]

. . . which raises an interesting point; the quality of the material. I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek about Macca being a tribute for the Beatles, but his fairly recent inclusion of them into his concerts has at least given people to hear the songs in the most 'authentic' way possible.

Does the concept of a tribute band change if there are no surviving members of the original band? I think someone mentioned classical works earlier - should we really dismiss Mozart, Beethoven and all the other greats simple because any rendition of their work is either a cover or a tribute?

Surely the only thing that really matter is that the music is played well? After that, if you happen to like it then great, if not just listen to something else, but simply dismissing covers or tributes seems a bit churlish really.

Amen to that example, though I can't really think of many covers that were better than the originals.

Cream's 'Crossroads' would be one and, possibly, Lynyrd Skynrd's 'Call Me The Breeze' - though that's a close run things as I really like Cale's laid-back version.

No doubt others will post loads of examples I should have thought of!

There's a band I've seen a lot up in Scotland called The Counterfeit Clash.

They tended to do two sets---the first was everyone's favourite punk and new wave numbers, then they'd come back on and do an exclusively "Clash" set. No attempt at looking like the band, just playing all the songs (and well I might add). Always seemed to get a very good crowd, lots of singing, dancing, etc.

Picking the right band to pay tribute to is definitely key.

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1400860267' post='2457697']
CCR do my favourite version of "Heard It Through The Grapevine", much better than the Smokey Robinson one.
[/quote]

Although I do like that version (apart from the out of tune single line picked Gtr part},
it's quite rough and ready from the band (In a good way), vocal wise it is terrific.

Marvin Gaye's version is pretty cool (My Fave), and Gladys Knight gives out a nice Funky Soul version,
With a terrific Bass line.

[quote]Although I do like that version (apart from the out of tune single line picked Gtr part},
it's quite rough and ready from the band (In a good way), vocal wise it is terrific.

Marvin Gaye's version is pretty cool (My Fave), and Gladys Knight gives out a nice Funky Soul version,
With a terrific Bass line. [/quote]

Just to caveat, I think all three of those versions are better than the original!

I play in 3 tribute bands in Scotand with different singers!
We play in great venues and paid well! And we get to support ourselves which is great for sound checks etc!
The key is picking bands with loads of hits and great singers too!
I think were pretty good but there are some awful tributes out there but some incredible ones too!
I enjoy not playing wee pubs, bursting my ears for £200 and playing to 50 folk!
Each to their own though! I get that there is musical snobbery in "own stuff" but it bores most punters to death !

Most of my friends who are professional or semi-professional musicians either play or have played in tribute bands and many are incredibly well supported at gigs. Well paid too it seems which is great for them. As someone who has never been payed a penny to play anywhere i can only speak as someone who as a punter has seen hundreds of bands from pubs, bars, college circuits, festivals and stadiums since the late 60s to the present and seeing a tribute band has no appeal to me whatsoever. Having seen hundreds of performers in the last 45+ years means that i've probably seen everyone i ever wanted to see when they were around so have no need to see any tribute to them but i can certainly understand why they appeal to a lot of people and people want to play in those bands. That's great but just not for me.

I can understand that it must be great to play in front of a big audience but purely as a music punter some of the best gigs i've seen were in small venues in front of small audiences. Ian Dury, Joe Strummer, The Stranglers in pubs in London and UZEB (with Alain Caron) in front of (i think) 45! were just a few examples that it doesn't have to be a big venue or audience to be a great gig.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1400872265' post='2457832']
That's an interesting example where the cover is so very different to the original version that they are almost like completely different songs.
[/quote]

And yet so similar to the 1964 Stones cover that they might be the same band. :P

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc8_Qs_y-xs[/media]

Of course, if the current non-original Feelgoods line-up played the original Feelgoods cover of the Stones cover of the Bobby Troup original a black hole would form and we'd all die.
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1400833213' post='2457301']
That would probably be [url="http://www.facebook.com/hellbentforever"]'Hell bent Forever'[/url]? I didn't see them when they last played the Greyhound (never was a big JP fan tbh) but I'm reliably informed they packed the place so the demand seems to be there at least for the time being. Hope it comes together Tony. Some of the biggest crowds I've seen there in the last couple of years have been for rock tributes.
[/quote]

Hi KevB, yes I think you might be right it probably was them. Oh, and thanks, i'm hoping it comes together too! Rehearsals have been great fun, and it's been cool just learning the songs.

Edited by clarkpegasus4001

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1400835125' post='2457330']
Of course you don't have to be in a trib exclusively, as Tony C pointed out he was doing other projects at the same time as the Budgie trib so if you happen to pick a more obscure band that you mainly do for th elove of it then with the right logistics the various band members can still do other covers or originals bands and maintain a full diary. I think some people might actually prefer this, I would. The thought of doing just 1 trib act all the time and nothing else wouldn't keep me interested for very long, probably go a bit mental actually.
[/quote]

Well i'm not actually playing live in any tribute band now. I'm only doing a covers band although I do have a dep gig next week for a Black Sabbath tribute band.
I agree with the points you are putting across here.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1400858625' post='2457670']
I think someone mentioned classical works earlier - should we really dismiss Mozart, Beethoven and all the other greats simple because any rendition of their work is either a cover or a tribute?
[/quote]
I'm sure that the experts on here will tell me different but there can't be many (if any) symphony orchestras that perform music by just one composer (the original thread was about tribute bands). Cover bands are another subject altogether.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1400877403' post='2457903']
I'm sure that the experts on here will tell me different but there can't be many (if any) symphony orchestras that perform music by just one composer (the original thread was about tribute bands). Cover bands are another subject altogether.
[/quote]

Fair point, but if the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra plays a concert of only Beethoven pieces, does that make it a 'tribute band' on that particular night and a 'covers band' on the nights when it plays pieces by more than one composer?

Similarly, what about bands that play original and cover songs? I've played sets that are totally original, totally covers and a mixture of the two - all with the same band.

Is there a tendency to get too hung up on tributes/covers/originals, not to mention all the genres within them, and end up losing track of whats really important - well-played music that actually entertains people!

What was the first 'tribute' band, paying 'tribute' to a previously successful group..? The concept didn't exist, or if it did, I don't remember it, back in the '60s and '70s. Was it simply with the decline of the 'super-group' that this ball started rolling..? Who were the first to have tribute paid to them in this way..? Hmm... :unsure: