Why become a member? ×

What can replace a GB Streamliner?

bassist_lewis

So I've been using my Genz-benz Streamliner for about 2 years now and I love the sound and functionality. However, if it were ever to malfunction beyond repair it would be irreplaceable now that Fender has shut down GB.

Aside from buying one second-hand, is there another amp with an equivalent volume to size ratio?

Fender have brought out some heads based on the Genz stuff, but I don't know how loud they are.

Another promising head is the Bugera Veyron. These appear to be very heavily influenced by the Streamliner, and there is no shortage of watts!
No idea when they come to market, or price, although Bugera (Behringer) tend to be very competitively priced.

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/bugera-bv1001t-veyron-t--207798

This might be worth a look - I've read good things about the Carvins: [url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk/product/carvin-amps/carvin-bx1500-1500w-bass-head/"]http://www.bassgear.co.uk/product/carvin-amps/carvin-bx1500-1500w-bass-head/[/url]

It's a bit bigger but only weighs 10lbs.

1.5kw should do it :D

I am intrigued by these [url="http://www.bassbarn.co.uk/epages/es140349.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es140349/Categories/Taurus"]Taurus[/url] amps, but very limited info available. Looks like the hybrid models should appeal to Streamliner users.. (not price wise, unfortunately)

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1398460755' post='2434479']
Until some bright spark realises Genz were really onto a brilliant product....nothing.

The GK amps are very loud but I don't personally think they are as well made.

Carvin amps are an option but not the same size/tone.
[/quote]

Not a sales plug as I'm not hugely bothered about selling it, but, regards GK.
In my ad you will see the condition of my GK MB 500 after about 50 Dog and Duck and a couple of festival gigs.
Mind you, it has always been protected in transit, in a laptop bag :lol: .

The thought of the 800 version scares me silly, and that's against kick drum, toms, snare, two loud guitarists, ALL through PA at every gig.
Me through the PA at two festivals :rolleyes: .

When discreet and I got together the other day, he brought his MB Fusion 500 with him so had a chance to compare my streamliner 900 with that. Not being a fan of the GK sound I was suprised to find that I actually liked the sound of the fusion and we both agreed that with a bit of twiddling we could get both amps to sound pretty much the same.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1398503156' post='2434693']
Not a sales plug as I'm not hugely bothered about selling it, but, regards GK.
In my ad you will see the condition of my GK MB 500 after about 50 Dog and Duck and a couple of festival gigs.
Mind you, it has always been protected in transit, in a laptop bag :lol: .

The thought of the 800 version scares me silly, and that's against kick drum, toms, snare, two loud guitarists, ALL through PA at every gig.
Me through the PA at two festivals :rolleyes: .
[/quote]

The GK amps are incredibly loud, and the Fusion 500/800 might get close to the GB Streamliner as they are both a little (I mean a little) mid shy when the amps are set to 12 on the dials of the EQ, but for both amps, bump it up, and you have more 'flat' mids, or bump a lot for a more middy tone.

[size=5][sub]You shouldn't really have to worry about getting any amp repaired and if they were point to point, that would be easier.[/sub][/size]
[size=5][sub]You may well find a lot of boards are pretty popular in a LOT of amps.... so the heritage of..say, Behringer, might spread[/sub][/size]
[size=5][sub]further that you'd like..??? :lol: :lol:[/sub][/size]

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1398508609' post='2434774']
When discreet and I got together the other day, he brought his MB Fusion 500 with him so had a chance to compare my streamliner 900 with that. Not being a fan of the GK sound I was suprised to find that I actually liked the sound of the fusion and we both agreed that with a bit of twiddling we could get both amps to sound pretty much the same.
[/quote]

I read on Talkbass that the MB Fusion 500 was the least GK sounding GK amp around, and have to say I agreed with that when I had one. Soloed it still had the GK sound, but in the mix I found it much thicker-sounding, more Ampeg-like. Or maybe cos that`s the sound I go for, but it easily made those tones.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1398517831' post='2434888']
[size=5][sub]You shouldn't really have to worry about getting any amp repaired and if they were point to point, that would be easier.[/sub][/size]
[size=5][sub]You may well find a lot of boards are pretty popular in a LOT of amps.... so the heritage of..say, Behringer, might spread[/sub][/size]
[size=5][sub]further that you'd like..??? :lol: :lol:[/sub][/size]
[/quote]

What's point to point?
So if a board burns out they're easily replaced?

Point to point wiring.

The emphasis today tend to be on circuit boards which potentially means
you are swapping out a big board. If these bespoke boards, then getting a replacement is/maybe
an issue , or if they are standard, they are likely to be shared with low cost brands.

My thinking is that I want as much of a point to point amp as poss, made in the west with decent/hi spec
component parts, but then these amps aren't likely to be cheap.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1398521551' post='2434943']
I think we need a UK company to start building hand made, point to point amps, not just aimed at the big tube amps. It would be worth the premium. Totally OT there, sorry.
[/quote]

Spoke to someone recently about this - opening estimate was £30K of R&D costs to get something fully operational, patented and approved for operation across EU and into production with high quality components and chassis. . .