Why become a member? ×

What can replace a GB Streamliner?

bassist_lewis

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1398460678' post='2434477']
Fender have brought out some heads based on the Genz stuff, but I don't know how loud they are.

Another promising head is the Bugera Veyron. These appear to be very heavily influenced by the Streamliner, and there is no shortage of watts!
No idea when they come to market, or price, although Bugera (Behringer) tend to be very competitively priced.

[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/bugera-bv1001t-veyron-t--207798"]http://www.dv247.com...eyron-t--207798[/url]
[/quote]

Goodness, looks like they bought the rights for the Streamliner, that's very similar.

Must have been looking the other way, didn't realise Fender closed down GB! I saw STLs were cheap at Bass Direct, didn't realise why.

What a crying shame! I have an STL900 and it's the best amp I've ever had.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1398776441' post='2437473']
Goodness, looks like they bought the rights for the Streamliner, that's very similar.

Must have been looking the other way, didn't realise Fender closed down GB! I saw STLs were cheap at Bass Direct, didn't realise why.

What a crying shame! I have an STL900 and it's the best amp I've ever had.
[/quote]

Apparently Genz are gone for good. Whether the designers are on a no compete clause, and may come back, I don't know.

Fender could have really hammered the bass market by rebranding. Smart move....not....at....all.

One of the Genz chaps is now with Mesa. They might make a decently priced high wattage Walkabout...who knows.

I really do think Genz were/are one of the best bass amp/cab manufacturers. At least they ended on a high.

I remember asking them a question about the V1 valve in the Streamliner and got a response straight back from Jeff Genzler. Seemed to actually encourage experimentation with it. Shame to have lost all that.

No doubt he won't be troubled for finance for the rest of his life, maybe he'll do a Leo and pop up with another company!

Wish there was a UK firm who would make amps like these.

They talked about a 500W micro amp, tried a few mockups but couldn't solve some of the issues. There's a thread on here somewhere following their progress. I was one of those eagerly awaiting, in the end I bought a Streamliner and not looked back while the Matamp version disappeared.

I heard that none of the GB staff worked for Fender, who pinched the Class-D technology for their Rumble amps.

Bit like Kraft promising to keep the major UK Cadbury factory running before they took them over, but closing it 1 week after.

Can Fender be forgiven?

I think it is plausbile to believe that a company like Fender can buy out some decent amp makers and
just write them off/into their business model. If that means they now own patents and valuable R&D from
those companies but by the same time, wipe out a bit of competition along the way, then they are big
enough to do that.... ????

• 2 months later...