Why become a member? ×

Wilko Johnson

Bassmonkey

Had the pleasure of seeing Wilco at The Shepherds Bush Empire on Tues night. He was joined by Roger Daltrey, Mick Talbot (ex Style Council) and of course the magnificent Mr Norman Watt-Roy. The night was great but I could not take my eyes of Norman. Have seen him before but usually through a crowd of bodies whereas this time, I was on the balcony so could watch him do his thing with a perfect view. He works his @ss off. What a player. Big respect and obviously to Wilco. On the night my pals met up with Messrs Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond sporting a groovy tweed jacket and jeans look! Nice!

We had the pleasure to support and meet Wilko and Norman back in Jan of this year, it lived up to all my expectations and more, even got Norm to play my P after their sound check :) That night will stay in my memory for a long time.

edit. Give me a chance to post this again :)
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/8374568@N07/12027296986/][/url]

Edited by Highfox

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1393520567' post='2381427']
We had the pleasure to support and meet Wilko and Norman back in Jan of this year, it lived up to all my expectations and more, even got Norm to play my P after their sound check :) That night will stay in my memory for a long time.

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/8374568@N07/12027296986/"][/url]
[/quote]
Look at the length of those big beefy fingers! That's cheating!

I loved the Feelgoods and they were never the same without Wilko that's for sure. I saw them loads of times in the 70s and what was great about those times was not only the music but that you'd just jump on a bus or the tube and you could see them down the pub. No queueing, no advance tickets, no rip-off prices for drinks you just paid your 50p for a couple of hours of rock, sweat and beers. Lovely. :D

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1393520567' post='2381427']

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/8374568@N07/12027296986/][/url]
[/quote]

Very cool indeed!
Beautiful P-bass you have there too.

[quote name='andyonbass' timestamp='1393592431' post='2382310']
Heard a couple of cracking tunes from the soon to be released Wilko and Roger Daltrey album on the radio this morning.Very reminiscent of the early feelgoods. Definitely on my shopping list!
Anyone know if Norm is playing on the album?
[/quote]

I'd guess he is.

[quote name='andyonbass' timestamp='1393592431' post='2382310']
Heard a couple of cracking tunes from the soon to be released Wilko and Roger Daltrey album on the radio this morning.
[/quote]

This was one of them........

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1Me-LubTgk[/media]

Couple of old fart rockers* going back to their roots at the tail end of their careers. Always a recipe for disaster! But not these two. Love it. Way to go Rog and Wilko :gas:

A

* Said with the utmost affection for two of my heros :happy:

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1393786386' post='2384368']
But isn't that the thing with musicians? As long as they remain physically able, their playing should really just get better and better, or at least not decline. I love watching a bunch of old muso's at the top of their game just having effortless fun playing.
[/quote]

Well not really because the energy goes, the pace lessens and the anger fades. It becomes a reminisce rather than a meaning. This really only applies in the 'rock' world of course. The travelling wilburys where the epitome of everything I dislike about the 'going back to your roots' thing. Horrid stuff. You can see in fast paced angry groups later works - they mellow as is expected then when they do the early stuff its at the same pace as the later. Doesnt work.

A

Apology for derailment btw

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1393789762' post='2384405']
The travelling wilburys where the epitome of everything I dislike about the 'going back to your roots' thing. Horrid stuff.
[/quote]

[derail] In an alternative universe they'd have turned Jeff Lynne away at the door and hired almost anyone else to produce them. Rick Rubin, perhaps, given his sterling, stripped down work with Cash. Even Nick Lowe would have done a better job.

And a shout out for the late Vic Maile for his production work on the first three Feelgoods albums [/derail]