Why become a member? ×

'Worn' basses - hot or not?

action_panzer

I've just come up with the ideal thing for those who long for that 'road worn' look (not forgetting the feel of course) but can't wait for all those years of playing to pass. I have developed a jacket with velcro patches so that sandpaper can be attached to various points of contact with you bright new shiny guitar or bass. For the first hour i've found 50 grit ideal and then 220 grit for the final hour thus reducing in a few hours of gigs or practice to something that looks as if it has been thrown in and out of a van on a 20 year world tour. The downside is that the current prototype jacket is denim so at the moment it's only good for metal. :D

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1391798573' post='2361501']
I've just come up with the ideal thing for those who long for that 'road worn' look (not forgetting the feel of course) but can't wait for all those years of playing to pass. I have developed a jacket with velcro patches so that sandpaper can be attached to various points of contact with you bright new shiny guitar or bass. For the first hour i've found 50 grit ideal and then 220 grit for the final hour thus reducing in a few hours of gigs or practice to something that looks as if it has been thrown in and out of a van on a 20 year world tour. The downside is that the current prototype jacket is denim so at the moment it's only good for metal. :D
[/quote]

:D

And what's more it would wear the bass in exactly the correct way for the owners playing style. Having said that, by all accounts, these factory produced relics seem to magically do this already. :yarr:

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1391798573' post='2361501']
[/quote]
I already mooted this on the "accelerated relicing " thread

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1391803083' post='2361590']
:D

And what's more it would wear the bass in exactly the correct way for the owners playing style. Having said that, by all accounts, these factory produced relics seem to magically do this already. :yarr:
[/quote]
It isn't magic. Oh dear now i've spoilt it for you. Sorry. ;)

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1389604164' post='2335898']
Well, I went for that roadworn Jazz bass I was thinking about
purchased from fellow bc member
The finish is superb
It really does look genuinely roadworn

I can't believe just how well it plays
I've heard others talk of this series being as good as they are talked up to be
it plays superbly, sounds great
..... and I love it :)

Would I swap it for a brand new, shiny, unmarked example?
Nah....
[/quote]

Hope you didn't find a RW Fiesta Red jazz on here before me :angry: :lol:

• 5 months later...

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1406551612' post='2512320']
Genuinely worn basses are cool, faked ones tend to be bought by men of a certain age wealthy enough to buy a fake, too tight to buy the real thing or realised the real things are often awful basses :D
[/quote]

You calling my pint a m***er?!

Actually, I think all 3 of those apply to me.

Edited by martthebass

I would say that the best analogy is probably that playing a relic’d bass is like making love to a beautiful woman – who has had a boob job!

You might prefer the idea of the real thing but when it actually comes down to it, does it really matter??

Was never a great fan of relics but lately I've changed... love the RW series, not just for the looks but because they just play so well!

Mr discreet's new/old Limelight is giving me the goobers!

My 62 Jazz was a wreck when I bought it (mid seventies) never bothered me though. I love it, it's my main gigger... it's a bit of a beater now.
My Precision basses were mint when I got them and they're going to stay that way, I get knarked if there is so much as a new scratch or dink, well pissed off in fact.

Edited by bh2

I think basses look best when they are brand new and in showroom condition. That wouldn't put me off buying a worn one if it played well and I got a bit knocked off due to its condition.

But paying extra for a new one that has been made to look old and worn seems crazy to me. I would feel like I was paying extra for a fake.

[quote name='Immo' timestamp='1406558751' post='2512421']
I wholeheartedly prefer to scratch, ding and blemish my basses by myself, thank you, sir.
[/quote]

What he said, although having said that I only ever buy secondhand stuff, apart from strings and cables - so most of my basses and pedals and cabs etc etc already have a certain amount of previous abuse to report anyway.

[quote name='b7l4s' timestamp='1406724139' post='2514087']
What he said, although having said that I only ever buy secondhand stuff, apart from strings and cables - so most of my basses and pedals and cabs etc etc already have a certain amount of previous abuse to report anyway.
[/quote]
Yeah, same here usually :)
The best thing about used gear is the fact that the first scratch/ding is already there, so it won't hurt that much <_<

'peteb'
I would say that the best analogy is probably that playing a relic’d bass is like making love to a beautiful woman – who has had a boob job!

You might prefer the idea of the real thing but when it actually comes down to it, does it really matter??

MB1.
You are Swiss Toni
and I claim my £50

[quote name='great harry' timestamp='1406673224' post='2513703']
I think basses look best when they are brand new and in showroom condition. That wouldn't put me off buying a worn one if it played well and I got a bit knocked off due to its condition.

But paying extra for a new one that has been made to look old and worn seems crazy to me. I would feel like I was paying extra for a fake.
[/quote]

+1 Although I'll add that for basses over a certain age (20 years +) some normal wear shouldn't hit the price. I'm not going to hate someone for haggling though!

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1406758899' post='2514577']
Fender Roadworns are great basses. Be a shame to write them off because someone didn't like the paint job.
[/quote]

It would. A great bass is a great bass - wither they look great to everyone or a person in particular is another point entirely. I've yet to have the pleasure to play one myself, but I've heard they aren't commanding higher prices just for the relicing, they are great sounding, well put together basses according to most who pick them up.