action_panzer

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1389356989' post='2333200']

Oddly enough, as someone else has already mentioned,
Roadworn seems to work well with Fenders,
but not so well on other guitars....
Wonder why that is?

Marc
[/quote]

I may be unique in this but I almost never want to pick up a new Fender and play it. There's just something about a new, pristine Fender that I find incredibly un-tactile, if there's such a term. The newer ones with pale necks are even worse. Whereas a Roadworn I immediately want to pick up; it's not a conscious thing at all. They're just warmer, friendlier somehow, if that makes any sense (I'm sure it doesn't!). I guess I'm into warm & comforting. ;)

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1389358146' post='2333230']
I may be unique in this but I almost never want to pick up a new Fender and play it. There's just something about a new, pristine Fender that I find incredibly un-tactile, if there's such a term. The newer ones with pale necks are even worse. Whereas a Roadworn I immediately want to pick up; it's not a conscious thing at all. They're just warmer, friendlier somehow, if that makes any sense (I'm sure it doesn't!). I guess I'm into warm & comforting. ;)
[/quote]

I get that. Poly finish seam to seal in the soul :) lol this is getting deep!

Have to disagree with the earlier "try hard" comments. The Fender Roadworn series play way better than the pristine ones for me. I had a 50s MIM Precision and sold it, played the equivalent RW one and was totally blown away. Its certainly a visual thing for some, but the feel and playability of the basses is totally different.

I'd like to hear some hardcore aged Sandberg folk's opinions.

Also the forum seems to think hot.........

Edited by stingraybassman

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1389306555' post='2332777']
[url="http://www.nashguitars.com/Images/Guitars/bass/JB63CARr3pw.jpg"]http://www.nashguita...JB63CARr3pw.jpg[/url]

thats is sexy as!

im all for natural wear tho doing that on my mody, its now a nice yellow close up, not bad in nearly 6 yrs.

andy
[/quote]

That bass is so "distressed" that it looks like it has been left outside to the elements in a Portuguese fishing village for thirty years! Who would put wear on a bass like that ? It looks like it has been used on building site or something similar. People are paying extra for this? Just ridiculous.

On another note, I never knew Nash guitars were from Olympia, Washington. It's a long time since I was there , but back in the 1980's that was a[i] wild t[/i]own! I would love to tell you the stories, but Mrs Dingus ( and the Moderators) might read this so I had better not.

Didn't Levi's (or somebody similar) put out a line of similarly "reliced" jeans a few years ago? I remember thinking that was a daft idea, especially given the amount of money they were charging for a pair of jeans that looked like somebody had used them to wipe their arse following a bad night at the Balti Hut.

A friend of mine did have a RW Tele for a brief while, and I must admit, it was a lovely guitar to play. Never got near, say, a US Std Tele to make a fair comparison, but the RW seemed like a nice instrument. But I wouldn't have paid the extra money for a Fender employee to kick it round the shed.

Someone who worked at Fender told me that the more recent basses they have made will never wear in the same way as the older basses. Even the thin polyester coats they are using now are far more robust that the nitro finishes of yesteryear, and the paint technology has moved on a long way as well. Colours are far less prone to fading and wearing off. In the 1950's and 1960's it was still early days for the synthetics they were using at the time and they were relatively primitive products by today's standards. Everything in the finishing process is much more stable, durable and robust nowadays.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1389368301' post='2333470']

The previous one was Abi Titmuss, and the current two are Emma Thompson and Victoria Coren.
[/quote]

Ah La belle Coren, didn't recognise her, or Abi as a brunette

Edited by Geek99

I have 2 Road Worns, a Strat and a Tele. Both play every bit as well as the Custom Shop Strat I Had. Though I wouldn't have minded if they were 50% less worn in appearance than they are. I think the new Road Worns are a lot less 'worn' because of similar Customer feedback.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1389373786' post='2333564']
Those Fender Roadworn basses are very nice and very playable , but for some reason Fender have quietly changed how they make them recently. They have started using much heavier wood for them.
[/quote]

Yes I've noticed that with one I picked up a few months back. It was a 2012 Precision. Heavier with slightly less wear than my 2008 Precision and the neck felt less worn-in to play.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1389373904' post='2333571']
Yes I've noticed that with one I picked up a few months back. It was a 2012 Precision. Heavier with slightly less wear than my 2008 Precision and the neck felt less worn-in to play.
[/quote]

The bottom line will be Fender are trying to make them cheaper to protect their profit margins. I honestly think those Roadworn basses are the JV Squiers of the future. If you have got a good one, keep it.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Alfie' timestamp='1389378596' post='2333666']
A couple of years ago Barbour released a 75th anniversary jacket that was "pre-distressed". It had synthetic mud spatter on it and everything. Probably the biggest example of relic w***ery I have come across.
[/quote]

They should have made a special deluxe version that came with a genuine middle class twit included.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1389379237' post='2333681']
They should have made a special deluxe version that came with a genuine middle class twit included.
[/quote]
Surely anyone deluded enough to actually buy one provided that themselves?

Edited by FinnDave

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1389356275' post='2333180']
I'm a bit the same with women. :lol: High-maintenance glamour (Cheryl Cole, Nicole Sherzinger etc) are not my bag at all, I find them quite off-putting. Give me Barbara Good anyday; she doesn't even need the posh frock. ;)
[/quote]

Plus about a billion. :)