Why become a member? ×

'Worn' basses - hot or not?

action_panzer

Think my point was it depends on what your definition of 'cool' is.

For example; if you were buying one to try and kid on that you were a long touring, hard working musician, I'd consider that un-cool.

If you liked the way a bass sounded, felt and looked or even if as in some cases people would prefer the sound and feel of their worn bass but without the scratches...then it's a tool of the trade, basses are meant to be played, not polished and that reasoning I could cope with.

Some people buy them so they don't have to worry about scratching their bass - it's already done, why worry?!

And there's my standpoint, I buy basses when I feel they're good - relics, coffee tables, headless, active, passive etcetera...which is pretty good as I don't have to stop myself from liking anything just in case the 'cool' kids poke fun...

It can't be that ridiculous if people like Nash and Limelight are still doing clones of fender relics, there are companies who's basses are new models and have aged options thrown in - G&L Rustic springs to mind, Sadowsky Vintiquity and Fano.

Horses for courses, there's nothing wrong with having a preference either way - like I said initially, It shocks me that people are so against the concept which had been around for years; nobody is making you buy one or even suggesting you need to like one or 'get it'...

Hot or not? I'm not sure - I'd say there are enough Roadworns and Relics in circulation to keep the second hand market going.

I'd heard a rumour the Roadworn series was finished at Fender for 2014 - they certainly toned down the level of ageing for 2013.

Guest FretNoMore

If it shocks you that people have and express different opinions then Internet must be some kind of h-ll for you. ;)

Edited by FretNoMore

[quote name='FretNoMore' timestamp='1389603079' post='2335889']
If it shocks you that people have and express different opinions then Internet must be some kind of h-ll for you. ;)
[/quote]

That people who don't like relics are STILL making the same points like it's some crazy new idea.

'Shocks' is probably the wrong word.

Well, I went for that roadworn Jazz bass I was thinking about
purchased from fellow bc member
The finish is superb
It really does look genuinely roadworn

I can't believe just how well it plays
I've heard others talk of this series being as good as they are talked up to be
it plays superbly, sounds great
..... and I love it :)

Would I swap it for a brand new, shiny, unmarked example?
Nah....

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1389604164' post='2335898']
Well, I went for that roadworn Jazz bass I was thinking about
purchased from fellow bc member
The finish is superb
It really does look genuinely roadworn

I can't believe just how well it plays
I've heard others talk of this series being as good as they are talked up to be
it plays superbly, sounds great
..... and I love it :)

Would I swap it for a brand new, shiny, unmarked example?
Nah....
[/quote]

What Marc said ^

Guest FretNoMore

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1389603864' post='2335895']

That people who don't like relics are STILL making the same points like it's some crazy new idea.

'Shocks' is probably the wrong word.
[/quote]

Maybe it's not the same people, the idea may be new to some.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1389602391' post='2335878']
Think my point was it depends on what your definition of 'cool' is.
[/quote]
Whatever 'cool' is it certainly isn't an artificially 'road worn' bass.

Now on the other hand if you wanted to define 'naff'. :)

Edited by BetaFunk

I find it amusing that market values put a premium for fake damage on new basses, but also put a premium on mint condition for vintage instruments. Isn't there a conflict in that?

To me - and it's purely my opinion - relicing on a bass is the same as asking for factory scratches to be put down the side of your new car.

Guest FretNoMore

There are those who clearcoat rusty old cars to preserve the patina, and even those who simulate rust and old age on cars using airbrush painting. So I guess there is a similar taste for things looking old even with cars. Doesn't work for me unless it's an actual weathered car turned into a cool hot rod/rat rod though. A new car with scratches is just a damaged car to me.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1390306892' post='2343745']
I have accidentally got serious GAS for a Vintage Mick Abrahams Signature model SG. But I hate signature models, and relic finishes.

I shall have to strip it, take off the signature bit and be happy with a P-90 SG
[/quote]

Which leads to an interesting question. Which is more authentic? A re-finished original or a re-finished relic?

And is re-finishing a relic less authentic than leaving it as it is?

I shall not be able to sleep tonight.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1390321329' post='2344024']
Which leads to an interesting question. Which is more authentic? A re-finished original or a re-finished relic?

And is re-finishing a relic less authentic than leaving it as it is?

I shall not be able to sleep tonight.
[/quote]
I too couldn't sleep and so I was wondering what if you had a relic but didn't like the colour scheme so you decided to have it re-finished. Should you re-relic your re-finished relic? Then all of a sudden I fell soundly asleep.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a convert, used to hate the look and whole concept of relics, but I have had the pleasure of playing a few relic fenders recently and all I can say is that they are up there with every top end instrument I have ever played, Alleva, Sadowsky, GB, Overwater, Sei etc. In fact I would say that the feel and playability was better on the fender for me personally because of the lovely rolled fingerboards and general worn in feel of the necks, they were just out of this world. Even the road worn basses I have tried have been wonderful, and the build and playability was on a par with the Sadowsky metro's I have played which are well over double the price (similar price to Fender CS Relics in fact).

It's all about necks and playability for me, I don't care what the thing looks like, I don't care if it looks battered or mint but that worn in CS neck is amazing, which is why I have a savings pot for a CS Relic on the go.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1391788595' post='2361337']
It's the feel that works, doesn't matter if a sander did it rather than skin
[/quote]

Damn right! A sander just puts thousands of tiny scratches into the body VERY quickly, as opposed to my arm which does it slowly over thousands of hours. The outcome is the same.