Why become a member? ×

'Worn' basses - hot or not?

action_panzer

I had a 64 relic custom shop jazz.
Best bass I've ever owned, gutted it had to go.

I've now got a Nate Mendel.

Both were purchased on their merits as basses, not as 'pre worn' instruments.

It doesn't bother me either way; it's not exactly a new idea - it shocks me that people get so bothered about it.

My stingray classic is pristine, and will be staying that way.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1389384523' post='2333791']

It doesn't bother me either way; it's not exactly a new idea - it shocks me that people get so bothered about it.

[/quote]

How much wear is on the Nate Mendel precision? I like the look of them and from the pictures the relicing looks subtle. Am I right in thinking the controls knobs are 'aged'? I do like that particular look rather than shiny knobs!

I don't mind subtle relicing on instruments but I personally would not want to buy a new instrument that looked like it was not looked after very well. However I have no issues with dings on guitars when I buy second hand, cause that's a sign they have been well played!

Imagine if they did reliced cars brand new! A Ford focus with ripped seats, smokey interior, dings in the bodywork etc.. Is there a market?

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1389390090' post='2333880']
How much wear is on the Nate Mendel precision? I like the look of them and from the pictures the relicing looks subtle. Am I right in thinking the controls knobs are 'aged'? I do like that particular look rather than shiny knobs!

I don't mind subtle relicing on instruments but I personally would not want to buy a new instrument that looked like it was not looked after very well. However I have no issues with dings on guitars when I buy second hand, cause that's a sign they have been well played!

Imagine if they did reliced cars brand new! A Ford focus with ripped seats, smokey interior, dings in the bodywork etc.. Is there a market?
[/quote]

Yes, indeed, or imagine if Fender had offered a knackered version of their guitars as an extra cost option back in the 1950's and 1960's. Those who enthusiastically purchased such guitars would probably have been forcibly placed in a mental asylum and given a lobotomy.

[/quote]

http://instagram.com/p/i6cqdOOQYU/
http://instagram.com/p/gvXoTVuQeY/
http://instagram.com/p/g8KbGMuQas/

Is mine...trying pickguards/covers etc.

http://instagram.com/p/URpwFduQeA/

Is the first time I saw one and compared it to a 77 I sold in June...and wished I hadn't.

Which is why I have bought one (and mine is about 7.5lbs which suits my spine!)

The aging is subtle, more so than my cs64.

The feel is bang on, and yes the chrome work is aged, but not grotty.

A very cool bass.

[/quote]

I have a Nate Mendel and the relic job is described as 'light'. It's actually very subtle like you say and yes, the control knobs (and machine heads/hardware) is worn too along with the scratch plate.

Stunning bass though!

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1389391018' post='2333895']
Yes, indeed, or imagine if Fender had offered a knackered version of their guitars as an extra cost option back in the 1950's and 1960's. Those who enthusiastically purchased such guitars would probably have been forcibly placed in a mental asylum and given a lobotomy.
[/quote]
Seems fair to me.

[/quote]

I guess that would be akin to a Rat Rod although a For Focus wouldn't quite cut it.
I am fond of Rat Rods as well.
B)

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1389391270' post='2333900']

http://instagram.com/p/i6cqdOOQYU/
http://instagram.com/p/gvXoTVuQeY/
http://instagram.com/p/g8KbGMuQas/

Is mine...trying pickguards/covers etc.

http://instagram.com/p/URpwFduQeA/

Is the first time I saw one and compared it to a 77 I sold in June...and wished I hadn't.

Which is why I have bought one (and mine is about 7.5lbs which suits my spine!)

The aging is subtle, more so than my cs64.

The feel is bang on, and yes the chrome work is aged, but not grotty.

A very cool bass.
[/quote]

They are really pretty I think and that relicing is definitely done tastefully. I think from the spec of those basses that they would probably fit my needs really well what with jazz neck etc and I think the BA adds a nice look to the classic precision look. Candy apple red is sweet colour too.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1389384523' post='2333791']

[/quote]

Can you get the action down nice and low on the NM with the Badass?

The one I tried the action was sky-high and there didn't seem to be much room left on the bridge.

That's the problem when fender and the like slap these fancy-pants bridges on- they don't usually make any allowances for the fact they sit much higher up on the body.

Maybe I had a bad one though- it wasn't overly light either, so it wasn't coming home with me that day.

I would like to try a well set up, light example as they are being very well reviewed and they seem to tick all the boxes for me. Might be tempted to change out the SPB3 though.

The relic job looked great as far as I was concerned and much better than my Road Worn precision. Subtle and believable wear.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1389554470' post='2335498']

Might be tempted to change out the SPB3 though.
[/quote]

My preferred action is the lowest possible; some people have called my basses 'unplayably low'.

I've not tweaked mine much - think your experience was bad luck.

The pickup, I need more time to decide - I'd like a more mellow tone from a p-bass, and to be fair that's not Nate Mendel's style.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1389560252' post='2335582']

My preferred action is the lowest possible; some people have called my basses 'unplayably low'.

I've not tweaked mine much - think your experience was bad luck.

The pickup, I need more time to decide - I'd like a more mellow tone from a p-bass, and to be fair that's not Nate Mendel's style.
[/quote]

My preferred action is the lowest possible too. I play with a very light touch, and I find I can control tone and muting better this way. The lower the better.

The pickup- yes, maybe more Nate, but not my style.I wouldn't ever buy this bass on the basis it was Nate's model though, as I hate the Foos. I'd prefer if it was just a 70's Roadworn! I'd chuck a SPB1 in.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1389554470' post='2335498']

The one I tried the action was sky-high and there didn't seem to be much room left on the bridge.

That's the problem when fender and the like slap these fancy-pants bridges on- they don't usually make any allowances for the fact they sit much higher up on the body.

Maybe I had a bad one though- it wasn't overly light either, so it wasn't coming home with me that day.

I would like to try a well set up, light example as they are being very well reviewed and they seem to tick all the boxes for me. Might be tempted to change out the SPB3 though.

The relic job looked great as far as I was concerned and much better than my Road Worn precision. Subtle and believable wear.
[/quote]

I had a similar issue with mine regarding the bridge. I felt it was quite high but bought it, gave the neck a good tighten and adjusted the bridge and now it's playing like a dream. I like a RIDICULOUSLY low action on my jazzes and whilst my Mendel has a slightly higher than I'm normally used to, i let a friend play it he other day and he reckons it's too low for him (and he likes a medium action) so it's definitely possible to get it down if you want too.

I also agree about the pickups. I've got an Aguilar AG4P-60 on the way to switch as I find the quarter pounder really aggressive and Id prefer a more thumpy, vintage tone so I'm switching it out.

The bass itself is lovely though. Finish is superb, plays beautifully, feels comfy and just needs the pickups swapping and it'll be perfect for a super light (.35-.95!!) string jazz bass lover like me!