Why become a member? ×

Signature Basses That Don't Exist...But Should

Freddy Le Cragg

Wal could do a Mick Karn Signature, although you would need a mortgage!
Derek Forbes, Fender P
Pino may have a Fender P signature but he will always be known as a Fretless Ray man ;o)
Bedders from Madness another Fender P?
Les Pattinson and a Lake placid Jazz with block inlays?

Come on Fender!!

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1388691490' post='2324962']
For the most part none whatsoever! I'm just surprised they don't make them already considering some of the artists they mass produce signature basses for. The Flea replica would be interesting as far as I know they don't currently do a stackknob '61 jazz reissue in the same price range as say the geddy lee or mike dirnt basses, and the Paul Simonon would have a black headstock and DiMarzios as standard.

Besides, the Geddy Lee sig, one of their more popular ones currently, is just a '73 reissue with a Badass II and a squiggly line on the back of the headstock... doesn't stop it being a great bass though :) It's not always so much the player as the era it conjures up
[/quote]

And the skinniest neck on any Jazz Fender make. And it's the skinny neck that makes the sound (which I confirmed by fitting various other necks on my old Geddy in the spirit of experimentation).

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1388694197' post='2325027']
or a Burton Ricky would be kinda cool
[/quote]

Was that actually a Ric? I think I'd picked up the suggestion from somewhere that it was a copy - but that would be quite a unique signature for a Rickenbacker! :lol:

A Peter Hook Hondo for me please. :)

or

A Nigel Tufnel Fender Bass VI in Seafoam Green

but seriously i'd love a Mark Sandman (Morphine) 2-String Bass (based on his converted 4-String Premier Bass). I would actually buy one of these.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='woodster' timestamp='1388703841' post='2325212']
As a kid, I had a poster of Madness on my wall and used to gaze longingly at the black/maple P bass played by Mark 'Bedders' Bedford.
That would be my choice, despite it being a standard instrument!
[/quote]

I,m sure I had a poster of Bedders playing a Fender Mustang too!

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1388693590' post='2325005'] Mike Watt's bass. Although I can't see gibson ever doing one! [/quote]

HELL YES!!!!

I keep thinking about getting an EB-3 and modding it

EDIT: of course that actual bass is still missing... keep yer eye's peeled!

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1388704204' post='2325213']
Was that actually a Ric? I think I'd picked up the suggestion from somewhere that it was a copy - but that would be quite a unique signature for a Rickenbacker! :lol:
[/quote]

It was a real Burgundy Ric. But with an EB pickup in the neck position and a jazz pickup in the bridge position

Edited by bartelby

That Mike Watt bass would be the ideal candidate for a signature bass, and since there's so little of the original instrument left it wouldn't even have to be made by Gibson. Plus all the compromises that were made because the modifications evolved over the years and were done in the simplest (rather than best) way could be done far more appropriately.

For me a signature instrument isn't the one that a musician is actually best known for playing, but the one that they would play if they didn't have to make any compromises.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1388751588' post='2325534']
I was going to say that! It would be genuinely different to anything on the market.
[/quote]
That's two of us in the market for one but i don't see them catching on somehow. :(

I do have a Krappy Guitars 'Mark Sandman/Morphine' inspired 2-String Bass though. :)

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1388745654' post='2325439']
I'd like to see my own signature bass, the 4-string-thing 4-string-thing! It would be a Squier butterscotch CV 50's P with a neck from the Squier CV Tele Bass.
[/quote]

Likewise, I look forward to Gibson offering to build a customised SG/T-bird hybrid to my own ridiculous specifications. Though I expect I might have to throw a considerable sum of money at them before anything like that happens...

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1388694197' post='2325027']
I think Aria already do a Cliff Burton type bass but it is not a signature bass or am I wrong? or a Burton Ricky would be kinda cool
[/quote]

i think the aria is a sig, but the rick sig with the guitar pickup thing would be sweet!!!!

only thing is hes known for the aria.

i dnt really get the sig fenders, as they are all pretty much stock, but based around a certain year, and with some money added! i know there all nice but i do struggle to see the point on occasion

[size=3][b]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=2325027"][/url]Thunderbird, on 02 January 2014 - 08:23 PM, said:[/b][/size][size=3]

I think Aria already do a Cliff Burton type bass but it is not a signature bass or am I wrong? or a Burton Ricky would be kinda cool[/size]

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1388757333' post='2325667']
i think the aria is a sig
[/quote]
There are two. See posts #25 and #33.

I was going to say something by 'Beefcake the Mighty' from GWAR, but it seems I'm a little late to the party…
[URL=http://s1221.photobucket.com/user/paul_510/media/beefcake_main_zpsc5b988b6.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd471/paul_510/beefcake_main_zpsc5b988b6.jpg[/IMG][/URL]