Why become a member? ×

I think I wanna sell my stingray....but I am not sure!

aende

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1387390741' post='2311479']
Yup, can't get on with mine either. I can twiddle the controls on my amps to make it sound nice but then all my other basses sound rubbish, it just doesn't seem to fit in.

I'm 100% certain mine's gotta go, but if you're not sure I'd say keep yours if you can.
[/quote] ? so you've got one - and you can set your amp to make it sound nice.... but because your other basses need a different amp setting you're going to sell the stingray? did I understand that correctly?

and Aende..... yes you are. ;)
Let me put it this way if you started the post with "I played a ..... and now want to sell my ray" I'ld say go for it. - but.... PJ's are just odd in most cases (Yamaha BB series has grown on me, worth a look) and PM puts the M pup in the "wrong" place. I don't think you know quite what you're after... so don't jump before you know...

I LOVED my 2EQ. Felt and played awesome... But, I sold it recently to fund an US Standard P and am completely happy with my decision. I thought I'd regret it a little, but the P is just perfect for what I want. I don't think I'd buy another Ray either, maybe if I was in doing something differently musically, but for me, the Precision just does it better.

[quote name='aende' timestamp='1387312079' post='2310644']
Persuade or dissuade me!

I quite fancy a pj or pm format bass like a schecter model t or a sandberg pm. I am not sure.....I love my mm stingray, but it is a 1 trick pony!

Am I being a twat?
[/quote]

No, you're not being a twat, but you are being a bit silly :P

One trick pony!?? ha! Never!!! :lol:

I love the Stingray...

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1387401431' post='2311661']
? so you've got one - and you can set your amp to make it sound nice.... but because your other basses need a different amp setting you're going to sell the stingray? did I understand that correctly?
[/quote]

Yup, I can get a good Stingray sound if I adjust my amps, but I don't need a Stingray sound enough to go through the hassle when other basses just plug in and work for me. I fixed the common quiet G problem though so it's much better than it was.

Also I prefer Jazz profile necks so the Stingray doesn't feel particularly comfortable, and the truss rod always seems to need adjusting as the neck is very unstable. My other basses are hassle free and feel just right.

Stingray is definitely not for me.

[quote name='bh2' timestamp='1387442982' post='2311906']
A lot of Stingray players can't get on with them because they don't know how to eq...
[/quote]

Shouldn't need too much EQ to behonest. I pretty much use my Bongo flat out and adjust abit of bass and mid when needed. Thats another reason i sold my J-Retro and convert my jazz bass back to passive. I only really do two things now on my passive bass, full volume and full tone .......

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1387445398' post='2311934']I only really do two things now on my passive bass, full volume and full tone .......
[/quote]
Yep I've never understood this obsession with bass guitar controls, amps do it far better, and there's plenty of EQ pedals out there if that's your bag, I'd happily bypass the controls on my bass if they were playing up

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1387397384' post='2311599']
Erm...a US Stingray doesn't have a 'thin and almost jazz-like' neck - quite the opposite, in fact. A US Fender P is more than a grand new nowadays, I'd say they were in the same price bracket...
[/quote] Now that is good to know I have always thought they looked very J Ialso agree about the price bracket :)

I played the 'ray again last night after a string change and my view has changed, it requires very little input for allot of output.

I generally run the amp flat (Markbass F500 through SWR Golight 112's - Kinda like Vanderkleys) and it sounded rather good - added a little low mid at ~250Hz and put the VPF on to about 1/3rd. Really chunky sound. The 'ray 3eq is running:

Treble - just startung to bite
Middle - just over half/notch
Bass - almost full on

I played my Jazz too; Schecter California Custom with EMG pickups and Pre amp 35" scale bass - It sounded tighter and more focussed than the 'ray.

Contrast; a little towards from pickup
Bass; just over half
Treble: Middle/starting to bite

I think I was gassing over nothing......! Although part of me still likes the idea of building or buying a PM style bass.......I may swap out the Schecter as 35" scale is pretty big to play!

I've had several Stingrays and always seem to miss them when i haven't got one, so recently I traded for a Ray34 to have something Stingray ish in my life again. I am pleasantly surprised with the Ray34, it has the Ray tones covered pretty well and the good looks too...all for half the price - i actually thought it was quite versatile tonally as well.

Why not sell the Ernie Ball Ray and get a Ray34 ? or even a Ernie Ball U.S. Sub Stingray (have had two of those too...but sorry to the Sub lovers, i prefer the Ray 34 by miles) and with the change left over after the Ernie ball sale you could get a nice Jap P...or even get a proper bass like a Jazz :ph34r: :lol: B) :lol: :P (haha....i'll get my coat). :yarr:

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1387445398' post='2311934']
............ I only really do two things now on my passive bass, full volume and full tone .......
[/quote]

How did you find my bass settings :)[size=4] [/size][size=4]? Am currently (re)assembling a Peavey patriot somewhat beaten bass. Only control is a pickup blend. Volume and tone full on, so no controls needed.[/size]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1387451248' post='2312040']
The best sound I heard from an SR5 was an HH with Piezo bridge. That sounded very meaty and had a flexible range of tones.
[/quote]
There's a thought, add a humbucker around the P spot. Nordstrand for instance, very powerful dark tone.

Think I have found a donor bass:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NINJA-AXIS-solid-body-electric-bass-guitar-/261357293613?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3cda1bd02d"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NINJA-AXIS-solid-body-electric-bass-guitar-/261357293613?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3cda1bd02d[/url]

Well if you like the sound you get out of a Ray then a jazz or a p is very unlikely to replace it.

That's not to say a p or j is not a good bass - for some they are but I have to say I've never heard these instruments played by anyone I'd list as a favourite player without an outboard (or inboard) pre amp!!

I freely admit I don't get it with these instruments - I recently played a 63 p reissue and 64 j reissue in a shop - preceding that I played a Wal mk 1 and after a 78 Stingray. The p and j looked gorgeous but the covers prevented aggressive playing except in front of the pick up ( neck one on the jazz) and they frankly sounded pedestrian - lacking detail in sound. Someone in the shop was trying out a Ric and it sounded far better at routine bass things and had a lot more to boot. Compared with the Wal and Stingray they sounded positively low fi.

Another interesting point - I listened to and watched a DVD recently of ten years after in 1991 - now Leo Lyons is some bass player but hitherto I'd only really heard him play tya stuff on an old jazz through Marshall stacks. This time he was playing a Warwick through Hartke (4 x 4 x 10) - for the first time I could hear the detail of his playing.........which was fabulous - I've only been waiting since 1969 to hear such things!!

So my take is the. P and j are excellent meat and potatoes basses for some genres but then so are most basses - but if you want to go further..... Or want the detail of your playing to be heard - or like the sounds your Ray can get then don't sell your Ray!!

[quote name='aende' timestamp='1387312079' post='2310644']
Persuade or dissuade me!

I quite fancy a pj or pm format bass like a schecter model t or a sandberg pm. I am not sure.....I love my mm stingray, but it is a 1 trick pony!

Am I being a twat?
[/quote]

They are a bit one-trick IMO.. not a bad trick, mind, but it depends if you are bored with it.
I was... and mine was a great bass... but I started to rip out the electrics and I knew the game was up...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1387825446' post='2316202']

They are a bit one-trick IMO........,
[/quote]

I have to say I don't believe any bass is a one trick pony ............. least of all a Ray - watch Ed Friedland's review of a classic stingray if you don't believe this - now on the other hand bass players sometimes are indeed one trick ponies - I sometimes find myself sliding into this rut - and it ain't the instrument!!

It is a single humbucker pickup with a simple pre amp. I don't need an Ed Friedland review to tell me about a bass I used exclusively for 10 years, tbh.
When I think Stingray, I think classic Louis Johnson and the sound of those days have long gone.
I think the reason people get a Stingray is for a specific sound...