Why become a member? ×

Why am I gassing for a 4003?

police squad

The only bass that has gotten compliments from women has been my 'Backer. The remarks were that it looks good ; not "It sounds good". Down here in Alabama you can go out on a Saturday night and hear ten bands in ten clubs and never hear a Rickenbacker! I own two and have my eye on a beautiful blue 4003. It costs about twice the price of a Fender Sting (Telecaster) . Help me decide...

I've had my 4003 for about a year now, I've toyed with the idea of getting rid of it as I don't use it as much as I'd like to, but can't actually bear the thought of letting it go!
It's another one of those I dreamed of having looking through the music mags as a nipper growing up

I've not gigged any of my other basses since I got one:) It's a lovely, lovely thing and you have to buy one :D.

Buy second hand - it's cheaper, and you won't be filling JH's coffers.

If JH has p*ssed you off too, remove the TRC like I did - no-one knows if mine is genuine or not unless they ask me...

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1386764499' post='2304137']
I've not gigged any of my other basses since I got one:) It's a lovely, lovely thing and you have to buy one :D.

Buy second hand - it's cheaper, and you won't be filling JH's coffers.

If JH has p*ssed you off too, remove the TRC like I did - no-one knows if mine is genuine or not unless they ask me...
[/quote]

sounds like a good idea removing the truss rod cover

I like the look ( and sound, from what I have heard on YT ect) ) of the Ric 4004. I would love to have a go on one. Maybe I would find it a bit more playable that a 4001/ 4003. I just love that clanky and agressive Rickenbacker -with- roundwounds sound. Nothing else will substitute for it. It's the sonic equivalent of a woman with red hair and a nice bottom .

John Hall's supposedly "difficult" attitude wouldn't put me off actually buying a new Rickenbacker bass, but it had better be made right or he will be getting it back and on the end of my own "difficult" attitude.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1386792841' post='2304722']
I like the look ( and sound, from what I have heard on YT ect) ) of the Ric 4004. I would love to have a go on one. Maybe I would find it a bit more playable that a 4001/ 4003. I just love that clanky and agressive Rickenbacker -with- roundwounds sound. Nothing else will substitute for it. It's the sonic equivalent of a woman with red hair and a nice bottom .

John Hall's supposedly "difficult" attitude wouldn't put me off actually buying a new Rickenbacker bass, but it had better be made right or he will be getting it back and on the end of my own "difficult" attitude.
[/quote]

You see that's the funny thing. I like a woman with dark hair, but that does not put me off Rics, or indeed any other opinion. We slag JH, but only because he has been so overt in the protection of his brand. He is a very visible Captain, but only for protecting his brand. He keeps his product 100% USA made (while we all salute British made stuff). He uses (I think sustainable) American woods, and has stayed true to the Ric design and sound (love it or hate it).

I've no idea who the Fender CEO is, but I wonder if He (or She) treats all the Fender workers equally worldwide, and pays them at the USA rate.
I've no idea who the Gibson CEO is, but IIRC was up in court for buying endangered wood from the dwindling rain-forests?

I wonder what the ratio of quality control issues are if we lined up Fender, Gibson, Ric, etc, etc? In my time I've bought 2 brand new Fenders, and 3 brand new Gibson's (1 bass, 2 guitars) and all but the Gibson SG guitar had QC issues. Was I annoyed? No, it just seemed like something you had to go through to make the think your own.

Seriously, we should save the real vitriol for Gibson's 3 point bridge and illegal wood purchases.

That and I've played Yamaha's that were just sh*t all round

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1386792841' post='2304722']
I like the look ( and sound, from what I have heard on YT ect) ) of the Ric 4004. I would love to have a go on one. Maybe I would find it a bit more playable that a 4001/ 4003. I just love that clanky and agressive Rickenbacker -with- roundwounds sound. Nothing else will substitute for it.
[/quote]

Trouble is D, the 4004 doesn't sound much like a 4003/1 unless you do some serious rewiring....

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1386792841' post='2304722']Maybe I would find it a bit more playable that a 4001/ 4003.
[/quote]

I had a terrible time initially with my 4003, just dreadful. I was all for selling it and banished it to a case in the cupboard. I took out a month or so ago and just loved playing it. It's pretty much my main bass at the moment it has a great sound and it's fun to play. I think it's a case of getting used to it's foibles and accepting that Ricks are a bit odd. There is the added bonus when I pick up any of my other basses they are so easy to play in comparison!

4004's are much more comfortable to play IMHO.

I've had a few - a Laredo and 2 Cheyenne 2's.

I found that I could get a 4003-esque sound with a bit of EQ'ing. To me, there a bit like a Ric on steroids!

However, to me they just weren't me. I just prefer the older look and slab body.....but anybody coming from a different bass perspective would probably love them. They can be a snip second hand as well, as they remain quite a minor interest to most.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1386766240' post='2304176']
You could upset him more by buying a Rockingbetter and putting a Rickenbacker TRC on
[/quote]
From [url="http://www.rickenbacker.com/faq_item.asp?faq_id=7"]http://www.rickenbacker.com/faq_item.asp?faq_id=7[/url] :
[quote] [b]I would like to buy a new truss rod cover or "R" Tailpiece. Why does Rickenbacker require me to trade in my old one? [/b] The recent spate of 'copy guitars' sporting genuine Rickenbacker nameplates and "R" Tailpieces, has forced us to adopt a stringent nameplate replacement policy. Customers must return at least half of any nameplate/"R" Tailpiece in order to purchase a new one.
[/quote]
...and they are not listed in the "Boutique" so you would have to phone them to get hold of one

The reason you have to trade in RIC truss rod covers is because they're afraid people will buy them just to put on Rickenfakers.

I like my 4003 but it literally took several years of a love/hate relationship before I settled with it. Setup is absolutely crucial with these things. I mean, I know every bass requires a decent setup but getting it right on a Rickenbacker takes time and patience. Once everything is set perfectly then you're gold but they can be extremely frustrating instruments to work on.

Taking the pickup cover off makes playing them a lot easier in my experience. Setting the neck practically dead-flat was necessary too; with a touch of relief the intonation along the neck suffers badly. From my understanding of bass construction and the physics involved it doesn't make that much sense but I was seriously having terrible intonation with even a little bit of relief.

Always remember when playing a RIC: it's not a Fender. This can be good or bad for you. For me, it's just another flavour to mix up my arsenal :)

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1386798405' post='2304830']
Trouble is D, the 4004 doesn't sound much like a 4003/1 unless you do some serious rewiring....
[/quote]

Depends what you put them through IME. Through the small Ashdown combo at rehearsal mine sounded a bit flat but through my Hartke, with a tweak of the shape control, it sounded like the biggest 4001/4003 you ever heard, and I have the 2 best-sounding 4001s (IMO) I've ever heard to compare it against. Amazing sound, possibly the best I've had, and gutted I had to sell it because (ironically) the ergonomics didn't suit. Having said that, mine sounded a lot better than the other one I tried in the shop.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1386853518' post='2305353']
Depends what you put them through IME. Through the small Ashdown combo at rehearsal mine sounded a bit flat but through my Hartke, with a tweak of the shape control, it sounded like the biggest 4001/4003 you ever heard, and I have the 2 best-sounding 4001s (IMO) I've ever heard to compare it against. Amazing sound, possibly the best I've had, and gutted I had to sell it because (ironically) the ergonomics didn't suit. Having said that, mine sounded a lot better than the other one I tried in the shop.
[/quote]

You're probably right but I couldn't get 'that' sound using a Peavey combo or (at the time) my MarkBass Rig. I could only get (for me) a sound I liked out of the bridge pup, dialling in the neck just muddied things up irrespective of what I did with the EQ. On the other hand the 4003 just seems to have more punch on the bridge or combined pups and is smoother than the 4004 on the neck pup solo'd.

I did try to like it because I loved the shape and the 'modern' bridge.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1386795942' post='2304789']
We slag JH, but only because he has been so overt in the protection of his brand. He is a very visible Captain, but only for protecting his brand. He keeps his product 100% USA made (while we all salute British made stuff).
[/quote]

Yes he's protecting his brand - apparantly you have to do that in US law to keep the trademark 'active'. However you only need to look at the email on this very site that was his opening email, paraphrased: 'do I need to send round the boys?' regarding private sales. Unnecessarily aggressive and unprofessional. He could also do himself a favour by getting a minion to this stuff, they might be more professional about it and he wouldn't get tainted with the dirty work. It also gives the impression that the guy's got nothing better to do all day.

Edited by Mr Arkadin