Why become a member? ×

band borrowed rig and blew cab.

roonjuice

My gig last night:-
The band before us asked to borrow my bass amp.
I obliged as the chap was supposedly a sound engineer and i am easy going
i explained that the head was massively overrated for the 2x10, (GB9.0 at 4ohms)
i then found out he just didnt want to lug his TE rig up the stairs (after i said he could use my rig......)
he thrashed it then the band didn't even stick around to watch us.

what would u guys do?
r

I'd find out where he lives and piss through his letterbox.

But seriously; that's a bit of a downer. I also have a Shuttle, and I have a simple policy of point blank refusing to let anybody else use my gear unless they arrange it beforehand and/or I know them. It's a bit late for that now I suppose, but perhaps in future. As for not sticking around; I'm not surprised! I guess there isn't a great deal you can do. You could try find the bands Facebook page and contacting them, explaining the situation and asking if he would be okay with paying for the damage he caused with his own selective hearing, but I doubt you'd get particularly far unfortunately.

Out of curiosity, what was the venue?

Edited by Ziphoblat

What's to do? You've been vandalized. Take it as a not so cheap lesson.

I have a simple answer when someone asks to use my equipment. I say; "no." It works really well. If they get belligerent it just confirms that I did the right thing. if they can't respect your wishes how can you expect them to respect your property?

[quote name='Ziphoblat' timestamp='1386040137' post='2294958']
I'd find out where he lives and piss through his letterbox.

But seriously; that's a bit of a downer. I also have a Shuttle, and I have a simple policy of point blank refusing to let anybody else use my gear unless they arrange it beforehand and/or I know them. It's a bit late for that now I suppose, but perhaps in future. As for not sticking around; I'm not surprised! I guess there isn't a great deal you can do. You could try find the bands Facebook page and contacting them, explaining the situation and asking if he would be okay with paying for the damage he caused with his own selective hearing, but I doubt you'd get particularly far unfortunately.

Out of curiosity, what was the venue?
[/quote]

Asking? Lol. I would be telling the monstrous twat he's paying for it.

Although lesson has been learned for next time.

I don't even trust my band mates with my stuff, let alone people I've never seen before.

It'd be a tricky one to prove, but the joy of civil law is guilty until proven innocent so, find out the guys details and take it to a small claims court.

+1 to naming and shaming.

Itf someone one has the good grace to lend you gear then you should have the common decency to treat it with care and respect.

Grrrr what's wrong with people today?

[quote name='Dave_the_bass' timestamp='1386054580' post='2294986']
...find out the guys details and take it to a small claims court.

[/quote]

Common sense dictates you'd not have a leg to stand on... legally!

Personally, I'd try straightforward reasoning with him over how he wants to resolve the matter because after that it is down hill and ultimately will result in a slagging match and not much getting sorted (the view of an outsider looking in and playing Devil's Advocate). . :unsure:[size=4] [/size]

If he's busted it, I'd be asking him to pay for the repairs as my first port of call. He borrowed, he broke, he pays.

If you decide to let someone borrow your gear again, I would make them aware that they're physically & financially responsible for it being in the same condition that it was when they borrowed it.

Never underestimate the stupidity of your average member of the public... I've lent people my amp in the past only to watch them 'set it up' hand goes straight to the bass parametric.... we'll just put that on 10.... erm... no we won't be doing that and you will not be using any of my gear.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1386055957' post='2294995']
Common sense dictates you'd not have a leg to stand on... legally!

Personally, I'd try straightforward reasoning with him over how he wants to resolve the matter because after that it is down hill and ultimately will result in a slagging match and not much getting sorted (the view of an outsider looking in and playing Devil's Advocate). . :unsure:
[/quote]

Why would he not have a leg to stand on?

I would think that there are difficulties, e.g. in proving that it was that band that caused the damage, if they deny it. Were there independent witnesses who are certain that the damage was caused by the band? And there would also be the problem of properly quantifying damages, which may involve obtaining multiple quotes. But if those points could be satisfied, then I would think that the OP would have a case and a reasonable chance of winning.Note however, that I am not a lawyer and tihs is not legal advice.

Edited by Annoying Twit

I would get a quote to fix it or find out how much a new speaker will cost and add £20 if you're fitting it yourself.
Then contact the venue and get contact details of the band.
Get in touch with the band, tell them how much it's going to cost and ask them to foot the bill.

Take it from there.

Next step would be a solicitor's letter...

Edited by TimR

It's all very easy to be saying how we would and wouldn't be doing stuff, but in pubs gear sharing is part of the process.

Is your cab actually blown (I know you say so in the title) or are you just miffed that you've been walked over by a clown (as your message reads)?

If it's damaged definitely try to get hold of him, although I think you'd be lucky to get anything more than half the costs from him, after all (looking from his point of view) you've lent him your dodgy cab, it just happened to blow when he was using it, why should he pay for your repairs? Beyond polite and less than polite requests and demands, unless you want to risk getting some of your mates round him I honestly don't think there's much you can do. However, unless he's an absolute *rse he should trump up something. I suspect he'll be a lot less lary on his own.

There's not enough info in the OP. What were the circumstances during their set? Did the cab give up during their set, was it noticeable? Did you only notice the problem when you started playing? What happened after the band left? Any witnesses? If so what did they see/hear that might help you?

So far you have not stated any evidence.

Difficult situation.

Let's imagine it goes to court. The claim is that the person damaged the rig by misusing it. That person might well claim he was simply using it for it's intended purpose and the fact that it was damaged is proof that it was not fit for purpose. And that's without all the messy stuff such as counter-claiming that it was already damaged before he used it because the amp was far too powerful for the cab.

I'd go with TimR's approach, but think about what you'll do if he flat refuses to pay and denies any liability.

I'm not defending the guy, I'm just saying that the sort of arse who has no respect for a fellow bassist's gear will likely have no compunction about defending his position, with lies if necessary.

A sad tale all round really. :(

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1386064759' post='2295101']
I'm not defending the guy, I'm just saying that the sort of arse who has no respect for a fellow bassist's gear will likely have no compunction about defending his position, with lies if necessary. A sad tale all round really. :(
[/quote]

Yes. Sadly I can't see this one ending well. One to put down to experience. Although it would be useful for others to know who the band are so that they can be extra careful if they end up playing with them...

Edited by Conan

I think you have some info here in your favour and some you need to get together.

1 - You need independent witnesses to the fact that the gear performed well at the beginning of their act and was poor at the end.
2 - Why didn't they hang about? My guess is he and his mates knew exactly what had happened.

Down-side is I don't think you're going to win this with a polite PM on facebook.

What I'd take from this is I'd lend a bass far easier than lend the rig. The problem is a blown rig doesn't look blown on surface, by just looking at the cab, and if the guy is using loads of effects, how can the average punter tell if it's distortion or if it's blown gear?

I never touch the levels on a borrowed amp, when I'm playing with other bands. So that if the worst happens and the thing does 'blow up' I know it wasn't my fault. In fact, I was playing on a multi band gig recently (arranged by the bassist whose gear I was borrowing), and the speaker blew. I wasn't playing loud and hadn't touched the controls on the amp so knew it wasn't my fault. The bass player whose amp I was using, was quite philosophical about it, as he was going on tour in a weeks time and would rather have a speaker blow before the tour than during it.
When people use my amp I will hang around and make sure they aren't abusing it. I have no problem with going on stage and adjusting it if the pre amp is sitting in the red or whatever.

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1386065511' post='2295111']
You defo need to speak to him first. He might be a stand up guy and completely mortified by what's happened and want to put it right.

We can put the public crucifixion on hold till after we hear what he has to say.
[/quote]

Exactly. It's not going to go to court you're looking at around £50+ for a new speaker. Talk to him, if that doesn't work get someone to send him a solicitors letter threatening action (someone on here is bound to be able to write you one). If that doesn't work, walk away and chalk it up to experience.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1386067792' post='2295151']
Exactly. It's not going to go to court you're looking at around £50+ for a new speaker. Talk to him, if that doesn't work get someone to send him a solicitors letter threatening action (someone on here is bound to be able to write you one). If that doesn't work, walk away and chalk it up to experience.
[/quote]
You might find the solicitors letter will cost £25 and still not get any response.

Grrr...what a pain.

As with all these things, it's the principle more than anything - so typical of many that there's no consideration for other peoples' stuff.

I think a strongly worded, yet polite message to management, band (as a whole), him and then FB etc. is the way forward.

Cheers,
James