Why become a member? ×

band borrowed rig and blew cab.

roonjuice

Hi Roon,
I once lent a Mate my cab and he blew one of the speakers on the gig. He was kind enough to pay for the re-cone and was very apologetic and we lived happily ever after!

One point that was made to me was - what if you were on after them and that had happened? I'd be stuffed is the answer.
From that point on a polite but firm 'no' is given to any gear share requests to me at gigs/events.

As others have said it's going to have to be a case of putting it down to bad experience and moving on I think.

All the best,
Jon

One good gear sharing experience i had was when we played a party for a friend a few years back along with another band called "the junk yard dogs".
They had been on before us & were pretty good too,just a few songs into our set my GK speaker decided to fry itself mid song.
The "dogs" bass player came to the rescue by immediately jumping onto the stage & plugging me into his Ashdown rig.
What a top bloke !

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1386328186' post='2298760']
I wish I could say that my life is so exciting that after a gig, that I could be spending my time in better ways. Skinny dipping with groupies at the aftershow party, playing Go with Howard Marks, helping at the local animal shelter, or perhaps learning to read music. Alas, at that time of night, the choice tends to be stay and watch the bands, or go home, knock the telly on whilst browsing basschat, then bed

Perhaps I'm using 'cameraderie' and 'politeness' as an excuse for a sad and empty life :-D
[/quote]

:lol:

and in case my girlfriend is reading this: no, there is absolutely no shenanigans with groupies, those stories are grossly exaggerated :P

I'm not sure I'd go on before a 'crap' band.... that wouldn't really say too much. would it..?? so if billed with other bands
I try and be supportive and interested....but if you soundcheck early and go on later...then you really don't want to be hanging around too much, tbh

Its a really crap state off affairs and no real answer. I am too soft or trusting,,have been lucky and let loads of people use my gear and its not broken yet. Never forget a particularly sarci drummer we used to play with was asked by another band if they could borrow his kit. He just looked at him and said," can I shag your missus?" He didn't get a reply!

this is the reason i no longer lend gear to anyone but people i know. i had a couple of speakers blown once, they werent expensive replacements so i just sucked it up. i did have one guy just show up and actually set my whole rig up and use it without my consent and then went on to rag the sh*t out of it... lets just say it took people to hold me back from walking onto the stage to turn him off.

people are so f***ing inconsiderate when it comes to lending gear, if im ever in the position where i have to borrow gear, out of respect i always turn the volume down for starters.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1386324956' post='2298703']
I think that it's polite; an etiquette within the musicians' community.
If I can, I'll stay and watch the other bands. However, I'm not so polite that I won't bugger off if I think they are crap :-D

Similarly, I always make a point of catching any bands that are on before us.
[/quote]
Same here. We go out to eat and make sure we have time to get back and watch the opening band/s, and stay on to watch the bands after us. Transport may dictate we leave before they finish but we make the effort. If you are sharing a bill with fellow musicians I think it's only polite to check them out.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1386497971' post='2300608']
If you are sharing a bill with fellow musicians I think it's only polite to check them out.
[/quote]

Yeh definitely, but I'll judge them by their soundcheck or by the first song or two. I hate subjecting myself to sh*t music. Sometimes if I'm not driving I'll wait outside while the driver watches the band, just so I don't have to put my ears through the racket

After reading all of the comments on here, from now on nobody is using my back-line in the future except my mate Dan (from Sack Sabbath)! that's "dbass" on here.
I feel sorry for the guy who started this thread it's all rather unfortunate, but all you can do is replace the speaker, and put it down to experience really.

Edited by clarkpegasus4001

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1386327789' post='2298753']
At which point I loose my cool a bit and spout on about how he even has the gaul to ask me after turning up to his own gig late and not even being bothered to sort out a fresh string before hand. Finishing on telling him too look up the RRP of the status neck.
[/quote]

Hmmm...reminds me of the time when I guy at a multi gig asked if he could use my Status Streamline because he didn't have time to tune up (!). I politely declined as he was clearly arseholed. He went into a rant about my bass being a toy and crappy and connived a bass of a 'mate'. Half way into his first song the bass came off the strap, hit the deck and suffered serious dingage. Didn't have the heart to say anything to his mate.....

Back OT, I'm generally cool with allowing use of backline as long as they're on before me AND they don't touch the knobs....they are warned that I'll nail their hands to their bass if they do!

Edited by martthebass

I am genuinely surprised and humbled by the responses. In all honesty I was never expecting any financial compensation and was merely posting to vent my spleen. The thing that really REALLY got my goat was the fact that there was not even a fricken thank you. I probably will still lend my gear out, because the circles I play in tend to be with folks who are decent and know what they are doing, but a lesson has defo been learned, and I will be far more discerning in future......

Only just looked through this so i'm not sure if the conversation has moved on but i've had a similar situation with people borrowing my cabinet. Long story short - for all intent and purposes my cabinet effectively blew up. I managed to get the band to pay for repairs though.

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1386611861' post='2302175']
Hmmm...reminds me of the time when I guy at a multi gig asked if he could use my Status Streamline because he didn't have time to tune up (!). I politely declined as he was clearly arseholed.
[/quote]

:blink: :D

I would have not been able to suppress a very lout bout of laughter.

Seriously? No time to tune? :lol:

I've loaned stuff to people in the past and never had a problem. If someone asked nicely I'd happily loan something to them. I guess I would keep an ear open to make sure it's not being abused and would keep a close watch on settings.

Not so sure I'd be keen on my gear being used at a jam night with a succession of different people coming and going though.

I had a friend with a Trace rig that was sometimes used for jam nights. He 'painted', with Tipp-Ex, little lines on each of the controls showing 'maximum' settings. Anyone caught going over these settings was immediately kicked off stage. Off course this is a bit extreme, and people could probably get around it by using push buttons and stuff, but the simple threat of something happening seems to work most of the time :)

Edited by molan