Why become a member? ×

Grill or Grille? A handy guide...

wateroftyne

Very common on Basschat. AFFECT and EFFECT. From the dictionary:

Usage Note: Affect and effect have no senses in common. As a verb affect is most commonly used in the sense of "to influence" (how smoking affects health). Effect means "to bring about or execute": layoffs designed to effect savings. Thus the sentence These measures may affect savings could imply that the measures may reduce savings that have already been realized, whereas These measures may effect savings implies that the measures will cause new savings to come about.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1385293480' post='2286424']
Particular gripe of mine - the use of the work "then" when "than" is the correct word. Very common amongst the yoots and often seen on BassChat

eg, "my amp goes louder then that"

Pedant rant over
[/quote]

To paraphrase one of Harry Endfield's characters... My amp is considerably, yes considerably, louder then thou's :D

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1385236188' post='2286030']
[font=trebuchet ms, helvetica, sans-serif]Also a drummer I know refers to a dep (abbreviation of deputy, i.e stand-in) as a 'deb' (abbreviation of debutante, i.e. young lady making her entrance into society).[/font]
[/quote]

Our drummer does this as well and lives in Swindon. Coincidence? Unlikely!
(I always thought 'dep' was an abbreviation of 'deputize' rather than 'deputy' but am prepared to be proved wrong,)

Edited by FinnDave

[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1385282241' post='2286284']
Not a bass one, but a peculiarity of the way they speak up here in Yorkshire, is the use of 'while' when they really mean 'until'. "I'm working while 3 o'clock" means "I'm working until 3 o'clock" in Yorkshire. Problematic when faced with a sign at a railway crossing that says "Wait while the red lights are flashing"...
[/quote]

It's been part of local dialect for a long time, even used by this Shandy after living here for a while: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SIAy1v_3LM0#t=8

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1385215365' post='2285688']
Or Squier/Squire
[/quote]

Even owners of Squiers will misspell. After two years on BC, I still have no clue as to why some people so consistently write it the wrong way.
OK, so the English word "squire" does exist, but is that really the whole explanation? Somehow I doubt it.

Then again, I never see the following brands mentioned:
Celindre
Fendre
Höfnre
Hohnre
Rickenbackre
Rockinbettre
Shukre
Steinbergre.

Nor do I see Spectro or even Danelector.

So maybe the "squire" word really provides the whole explanation after all?

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1385317258' post='2286824']

Ah, now you're moving into redundancy territory, of which 'PIN number' could well be the classic example, though others abound.
[/quote]

Ah; what is known as RAS Syndrome.

RAS - Redundant Acronym Syndrome

Scientists and Engineers do have a sense of humour. Although it does tend to fail if you put us in the same room as an accountant. ;)

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1385312807' post='2286743']
The 'top nut'.

Meaning the nut.
[/quote]
To the Ebay seller, it's the "knut". Which can be found at the top of the arm (or "kneck") - which can be identified by its profusion of fretts. Unless, that is, it's a "frettles". If the instrument in question (a "base", to be specific) isn't a Squire, it's quite likely to be a Tokia, made in the Ibanez Factory.

Bunch of stupid knuts. :D

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1385336952' post='2287240']

To the Ebay seller, it's the "knut". Which can be found at the top of the arm (or "kneck") - which can be identified by its profusion of fretts. Unless, that is, it's a "frettles". If the instrument in question (a "base", to be specific) isn't a Squire, it's quite likely to be a Tokia, made in the Ibanez Factory.

Bunch of stupid knuts. :D

J.
[/quote]
Haha :-)

All this nit picking is a bit petty really, so some folks get it wrong, I could care less!

You f**king what? I could care less! I COULD CARE LESS!!!! Arrrghhh!!!

I couldn't care less, think about it, WTF does 'I could care less' mean? The exact opposite of what you are trying to say you dumb sh*t!

This one annoys me somewhat :D

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1385294588' post='2286441']
The one that is most likely to make me stop reading is finding "of" used when it should be " 've"....
[/quote]

This one is used big-stylee back home. Especially by my sister. Who incidentally always seems to be turning around whilst speaking to people..

'So, I turned round and said Ye should of... etc etc etc'
'And he turned round and said Who are YE should of-ing, like'
'So I turned round, like and should of in-aal'

And on it goes, like.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1385294588' post='2286441']
The one that is most likely to make me stop reading is finding "of" used when it should be " 've"....
[/quote]

I have a tendency to write thing down how I same them. So I use the 'of' instead of ''ve' the word 'ain't' instead of isn't. I know it's wrong but I just do it anyway :)

And always why I sometimes have the word 'like' on the end of a sentence