Why become a member? ×

Behringer BDI21 saves the world!

gruffers

Just a vote of adulation for this 30 quid box.

The other week my band did an Oxjam gig. Organiser's heart was in the right place but lacked experience planning events.

Against my better judgement I arrived as advised without a bass amp, as it would be provided. Unfortunately no bass amp arrived, so out comes the Ghetto BDI21.

All 6 bands bassists did the entire gig sans backline.

Straight into the PA with monitor support. PA was a bit of a beast though which helped.

What a hero of a stomp box for 30 pounds.

After reading a lot of do's and dont's about this box on the net. If like me you've not got/want to spend the spare cash for the Tech21. Well you know the rest...

Edited by gruffers

[quote name='gruffers' timestamp='1383953511' post='2271349']

The other week my band did an Oxjam gig. Organiser's heart was in the right place but lacked experience planning events.

Against my better judgement I arrived as advised without a bass amp, as it would be provided. Unfortunately no bass amp arrived, so out comes the Ghetto BDI21.

All 6 bands did the entire gig sans backline.

Straight into the PA with monitor support. PA was a bit of a beast though which helped.

What a hero of a stomp box for 30 pounds.

After reading a lot of do's and dont's about this box on the net. If like me you've not got/want to spend the spare cash for the Tech21. Well you know the rest...
[/quote]Probably wrong forum. Sorry.

I literally just put up a wanted ad for a SansAmp and I don't know why I bothered as I already have a BDI-21 that I'd completely forgotten about!!

I used to use it every week in place of a backline and it sounded awesome and, provided you don't actually use it as a stompbox, will last ages.

Truckstop

I used to use mine just on the odd track as an effect. But now I'm finding that I like the sound so much that I pretty much leave it on all the time!

I don't use much "drive" on it, and yes, it does scoop the mids a bit - but it just adds a lovely smooth zinginess which I like.

Great unit and not as flimsy as some people say. Although it depends on what you are used to I suppose.

For around £20 (the price of a modest set of strings) you just can't go wrong.

Which reminds me, I need to change the battery before tomorrow's rehearsal! :)

If you have it in front of a 'normal' amp with EQ you can easily add mids to combat the mid-scoop. I'm using a VT Bass, but would be just as happy using a BDI21 if I had to, and indeed it was my only box for a long time. Very reliable. I have one on standby. My boxes get velcro'd to the top of my rack and are in the signal chain permanently, so the question of flimsiness doesn't arise. I use mains power too. Any Boss-type 9V centre negative supply will do. Would be a great box at four times the price.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='gruffers' timestamp='1383953511' post='2271349']

All 6 bands bassists did the entire gig sans backline.

Straight into the PA with monitor support.
[/quote]

A bit off topic, but I just had to check your location as I had the same experience at a different Oxjam gig last week!

Another big yes for this champ box.
I too got one for a gig that was not going to have any back line for me. It was a strange one for me but I kept hold of the box and after a few false starts one night it just clicked and I've never looked back. Well, actually I use a BDDI now but do keep my BDI21 as a back up, and do actually prefer the tone of it, I just prefer the look and form factor of the BDDI

I prefer the brighter tone of the BDI21. It has a nice fizz that the BDDI can't achieve. I never use the Presence knob but the BDI21 just seems more open.
I do however prefer the look and functions of the BDDI, especially the phantom powering, and do like the warmth of the BDDI live.

Before I ditched individual pedals for my X3 Live I used to use two BDI21s, one always on for 'my sound' and the other to kick in more dirt, they're brilliant.
Unfortunately one will only run on batteries now and the other has packed up completely, but they did get used a lot.

[quote name='bengreen49' timestamp='1384360309' post='2275691']
I killed mine. Plugged the wrong power supply into it... Smoke was pissing out the GND lift switch hole like a little chimney :(
[/quote]

[i]Another[/i] similarity with the Sansamp then… ;)