Why become a member? ×

Beginner's electric guitar recommendation

muttley

Daughter has expressed an interest in playing the guitar and is learning a few songs on my acoustic. With the forthcoming silly season I thought I would buy her a leccy guitar. What does the panel recommend for a teenager to learn on? Budget is under £200 (£150 would be nice...).

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Starcaster-Electric-Guitar-with-Amp-and-Accessories-/111190132941?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item19e372c8cd"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item19e372c8cd[/url]

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Squier-Stratocaster-practice-amp-gig-bag-leather-strap-and-lead-VGC-/261313958446?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3cd786922e"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Squier-Stratocaster-practice-amp-gig-bag-leather-strap-and-lead-VGC-/261313958446?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3cd786922e[/url]

My sons both had Yamaha Pacifica guitars. Yes - very good as a start. They also sell for pathetic sums of money. So you should get a real bargain.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='RichValentine' timestamp='1383492112' post='2264980']
Second hand squire cv or vm strat
[/quote]

What's the difference between a VM and a CV? Assuming both have the usual Strat 3 pickups and a wammy bar setup, is it just finish or does one have a better spec than the other?

[quote name='RichValentine' timestamp='1383492112' post='2264980']
Second hand squire cv or vm strat
[/quote]
[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1383492666' post='2264988']
Yamaha Pacifica?
[/quote]

Yep. However I suspect new is the key since it's a pressie, so the Pacifica would get my vote. Excellent guitars.

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1383510672' post='2265347']
I think the Harley Benton range from Thomann is as good as any for a beginner :)
[/quote]

Maybe. But It's nice if a young beginner can try a guitar first and buy it from a decent local music shop and get some aftercare. That might not be possible in the OPs location.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1383509390' post='2265315']
Yep. However I suspect new is the key since it's a pressie, so the Pacifica would get my vote. Excellent guitars.
[/quote]

S/H is OK if it gets a better instrument.

I like the look of the Yamaha Pacifica. I'll see what the local music shop has in its second-hand section.

I suspect their musical taste might dictate what style they go for. One of my daughters has a nice looking Shine Superstrat with Floyd Rose Tremolo and locking nut (cost about £200 from the music shop attached to the importer in Poole) and my other daughter has a Washburn XM12 (which she chose after trying all the other guitars in Absolute Music around the £200 price mark - it was a toss up between the Washburn and an LTD in the end).

I like the simplicity of a Telecaster for a newcomer to electric guitar (just the 2 pickups and no trem to worry about) so a Squier CV or similar is a great start. However, the Pacifica is a safe bet as a low price, good quality all rounder.

Yamaha Pacifica

Superb guitars even if they were double the price. In fact, sometimes I think their low price harms their reputation.

Back in my guitar playing days I had the original 112 model and it seemed better built than anything else I had at the time (including a Gibson Les Paul).

Guy I sold it to is still using it almost 15 years on. He put some new pickups in it, but it's still ace.

[quote name='muttley' timestamp='1383491422' post='2264964']
Daughter has expressed an interest in playing the guitar and is learning a few songs on my acoustic. With the forthcoming silly season I thought I would buy her a leccy guitar. What does the panel recommend for a teenager to learn on? Budget is under £200 (£150 would be nice...).
[/quote]
Which ever she finds prettiest. Anything else will get zero play.