Why become a member? ×

Upgrading P bass pickup

BassistInTheNorth

Hi all,

I have recently acquired a MiM P bass and I'm looking to upgrade the pickup. However, I am something of a novice in this department and am not too sure what kind of pickup to get. I quite like the tone that I'm getting from the factory pickup, but I find that the D and G strings seem to lack a bit of oomph. Also, the E string seems to "thud" a lot when played too aggressively.

Advice/suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Cheers,
Elliot.

If you prefer flats to rounds (& forgive me there isn't a lot to go on in terms of likes) then something like a Quarter Pounder is much more modern and high output. You may prefer a more traditional sound like Seymour Duncans SPB-1 which gives that classic tone. Changing the pickup can take the bass in a number of directions so any decision really comes down to what you are hoping to achieve. Fixing a problem with strings may mean something better quality but less dramatic is required. if you wanted more oomph then I'd be looking an SPB-3.

The second hand market is good for pickups as they don't really hold their value and the Antiquity range by Seymour Duncan are expensive but eBay bargains can be had. Equally I've tried and used nice alternatives by Wizard (recently stopped making them but still around 2nd hand), Kent Armstrong (not quite as good but cheaper) and Dimarzio. It's really just a case of knowing what types of sound you are looking for.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1381774843' post='2243601']
I'm a huge fan of the quarter pounder. It tames the mid heavy element of the average P bass and gives a bit more clarity in the low end.

Best of all - it reacts really well to the tone control. Nice and bright when it's full up and deep and thuddy when it's all the way down.
[/quote]

Got to agree with the Fretmeister. Gigged my P bass equipped with quarter pounders at the weekend. Sounded lush. ;)

Thanks for the advice all, really helpful.

Fret, Gary - The quarter pounder sounds great, I like the idea of more versatility.

Burrito - Sorry if I've made it a bit difficult to give a recommendation, I'm brand new to P basses so I don't really have any particular likes or dislikes yet :P Thanks for your recommendations though, a lot of options there worth considering. If I like how the bass sounds with flats then I'm likely to give the Seymour Duncan a bash, though if I find flats too muddy then I will likely opt for the quarter pounder.

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1381775227' post='2243611']
If you prefer flats to rounds (& forgive me there isn't a lot to go on in terms of likes) then something like a Quarter Pounder is much more modern and high output. You may prefer a more traditional sound like Seymour Duncans SPB-1 which gives that classic tone. Changing the pickup can take the bass in a number of directions so any decision really comes down to what you are hoping to achieve. Fixing a problem with strings may mean something better quality but less dramatic is required. if you wanted more oomph then I'd be looking an SPB-3.

The second hand market is good for pickups as they don't really hold their value and the Antiquity range by Seymour Duncan are expensive but eBay bargains can be had. Equally I've tried and used nice alternatives by Wizard (recently stopped making them but still around 2nd hand), Kent Armstrong (not quite as good but cheaper) and Dimarzio. It's really just a case of knowing what types of sound you are looking for.
[/quote]

^^This^^.

Most of us carry a sound in our heads of the tone we would like to get from our basses. Listen to records, find and identify those where the bass sound is the one you would like to achieve then come back and say 'what pickup/strings etc' are going to give me a sound like this'. Tone is just too subjective to make cold recommendations. Quarterpounders have been bigged up - yet I really don't like them for most circumstances! Not good for old school sound at all, for me they lose the Precision bass identity.

Edited by Paul S

Good call there Elliot, what sounds good in a band setting may not always be what is pleasing when soloed. Good luck with the quest, I was on the same for years and have come to stock Fender US pickups, and Rotosound Nickel rounds with my Precisions, that`s what works for me. Took a long time, a fair bit of cost, but was great fun and that`s the main thing.

• 3 weeks later...

If you like your standard tone, but want a bit more oomph, the SPB-1 would be a good choice.

QP will change your tone quite a bit.

Best of both worlds would be something like the Wizard Thumper- more aggressive, but not as extreme as the QP. Keeps the essence of the P bass.

If you want big lows, the Fender Original would be good. I found it a touch too boomy for my liking.

Thats my experiences with the above anyway.

[quote name='BassistInTheNorth' timestamp='1381773639' post='2243573']
Hi all,

I have recently acquired a MiM P bass and I'm looking to upgrade the pickup. However, I am something of a novice in this department and am not too sure what kind of pickup to get. I quite like the tone that I'm getting from the factory pickup, but I find that the D and G strings seem to lack a bit of oomph. Also, the E string seems to "thud" a lot when played too aggressively.

Advice/suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Cheers,
Elliot.
[/quote]

Also worth backing off the E side of the E-A part of the pickup.

If you want to have a bit of an experiment but not spend much cash, I've had good results with these before: [url="http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Bass-Guitar-Pickups_c_97.html"]http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Bass-Guitar-Pickups_c_97.html[/url]

25 years ago I put Bartolini pickups in my Pbass. The improvement was night and day.

These days I have a custom wound SD pickup in my Lull Pbass. They sound great but you've got to buy a Lull to get one!

Bill Lawrence pickups are hand wound to order, get some of the best reviews and they aren't expensive and Lindy Fralin is always very highly rated.

Check 'em out.

Edited by chris_b

Excellent upgrade currently FS here - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/221289-jason-lollar-precision-pickup/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/221289-jason-lollar-precision-pickup/[/url]

I've had a few "boutique" P p/ups, favourite is the Fender '62 RI currently in my '65 P.