Why become a member? ×

Why Do People Think Set-Ups Are Magic?

Lowender

judging from the comments ive had from other bass players on my own instruments which i have set up then i would seem to be doing something right although notwithstanding that i am not scared to attack the bass with a screwdriver and allen key i would be first to admit that there is still a lot to be learnt about the fine details of the science of setups

personally i find programming the video recorder damn near bloody impossible! :blink:

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1381236488' post='2236158']
What's the mystery? If you can use a screwdriver you can do a set up. Yet there's this notion that there are special people who do "good" set ups.
[/quote]

not everyone is happy doing certain things, some people wont do their accounts, even though they maybe easy to others, some won't put up shelves and so on

Edited by lojo

Dunno, get a Warwick and everything - including the nut - will be adjustable exactly the way you need it, and with absolutely minimal effort. Nothing to unscrew, take off, re-install, or foul up if you're a newbie...
But I do know of several people who are so scared af anything technical that, if they play bass, wouldn't touch even a Warwick. They tend to be the people who will call you to their desk for help and moral support when there's an error message on their PC screen, whether they understand it or not.

If I wire a plug I cut all the wires to the correct length and then solder the bared wires. I'm THAT geeky.

I think it depends what you mean by a 'setup'. If I put different strings on I can set the neck relief, correct the intonation and action etc. without giving it a second thought. However, if you mean fiddling with frets and adjusting the nut height and such then that's a bit different. I'm not sure I call that a 'setup' though.

Nut is probably the most important bit.

A plug is wired right or wrong because regardless of how neat or fast it was done, its works and its safe, or it isn't, if it isn't passing as much power to the equipment as is necessary, its wrong, and probably dangerous. A bass will play with a bad setup, but it could play better, it is never going to burn your house down, and is very unlikely to electrocute you.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

I have being doing my own set ups and servicing for years. Once I was shown how to do it by a professional it was a surprise to me to how easy it was. As long as you got the right tools for the job it's very straight forward, albeit a bit time consuming. My soldering still sucks a bit if I am honest! My Shuker order will be arriving soon and Jon asked me last week how I like my basses to be set up. I asked him not to bother wasting time doing that as I can do it myself.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1381244230' post='2236310']
Don't agree that wiring a plug is a binary thing - I can see a difference between a plug I wired and one done by my electrician neighbour, and he is quicker at it
[/quote]

Couldn't you make the same comparison with a bassline? Your neighbour might be able to fumble out the bass hook to "Another One Bites the Dust" if you showed him how, but you'd do it better and faster. Both of you would get better at either task with more practice.

As an aside, I still think there is a right way and wrong way to wire a plug... or perhaps, a right way and a more right way to wire a plug. My grandpa taught me to have a long earth cable inside the plug (even double back on itself in some cases) so if the cable grip failed and the cable was pulled, the earth cable would most likely always stay on it's pin. Plugs that have the wire cut to length exactly, in the right situation, could have the cable pulled enough to release the earth but not the live and neutral.

It's something that I've never seen proactively taught, but it something that I've carried on doing since I was taught.

It's neither here or there now because the safety bods push for molded prewired plugs.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1381245746' post='2236348']
It's neither here or there now because the safety bods push for molded prewired plugs.
[/quote]

Do you think they ever stopped to consider how much electrical stuff would go to waste simply because people couldn't get in to change the molded-in fuse?

(I think I just get exasperated that nowadays I usually have to buy an entire replacement plug rather than just a new fuse!)

I do all my own setups unless the frets or nut need work, or there's something possibly more sinister going on. I prefer very low action and play with a very light touch. Once upon a time I had a Warwick that I could get really close to how I wanted it, but something wasn't right around the D and G string first few frets; there was an extra tension I couldn't put my finger on, if you'll pardon the pun. I fiddled and fiddled over a number of weeks and just couldn't sort it. In the end I took it to Martin Petersen, who picked it up, played it for about 5 seconds & diagnosed the problem, which was a slight twist in that area. He did a fretstone on it and it was fab. That's what I pay for when I do pay.

I'd love to learn to do the whole kaboodle but given how much spare time I get (almost none given I have a full time job, spend 2 hrs a day travelling and play an average 4 nights a week) I'm not sure I'd have the time to make the most of it.

Sometimes it's nice to get another set of eyes on a problem or small issue though, particularly if you want to test various settings and options out. Recently, I took my Sei back to Martin at The Gallery for a set-up: Yes, I can do this myself, but I wanted to discuss some options for different strings, and potential pick-up and wiring changes etc. The £35 he charged, combined with the hour or so I chatted with him about the bass - and playing through different amps, along with the work he did, and subsequent discussion afterwards (and the cup of coffee) was more than worth it in my opinion. PLUS, it was a good excuse to have a day in London and have a look around The Gallery too.

As a tutor, I have played several of my student's basses, which were apparantly set-up by the local music store upon purchasing. It is these set-ups that are usually, in my opinion, not brilliant. With this in mind, I teach all my pupils how to change strings, make small adjustments to the neck, correct the intonation and about other mantainance.

Greg

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1381245879' post='2236358']
Do you think they ever stopped to consider how much electrical stuff would go to waste simply because people couldn't get in to change the molded-in fuse?

(I think I just get exasperated that nowadays I usually have to buy an entire replacement plug rather than just a new fuse!)
[/quote]

Most molded plugs allow you to change the fuse...?

I do all my own because I know how I like my bass set up. After my bass had some work done, the guy set it up and I hated it and had to re do it. I'm not saying he was bad, but why leave a personal issue to someone else?

I always have mine set with strings as low as possible and my neck just shy of dead straight. Many would argue it's not right, but it's perfect for me.

This is why whenever I leave the house with my bass, I've a large screwdriver, a set of precision screwdrivers and a set of Allen keys.

Assuming there are no problems that need fixing, I can set a bass up to how I like to play it. I don`t have tools to measure heights etc, just let my fingers tell me when I either like, or don`t like. That said, if I take my bass to my local luthier, Terry Chapman of TJC Guitars in Stevenage, it comes back playing far better than after any of my fiddling about.

And any electronics or actual faults, well on a £1200 instrument I`d rather pay someone to do it properly, than cut corners myself and naff it up - but then practical applications are not my strength.

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1381247747' post='2236413']
I do all my own because I know how I like my bass set up. After my bass had some work done, the guy set it up and I hated it and had to re do it. I'm not saying he was bad, but why leave a personal issue to someone else?

I always have mine set with strings as low as possible and my neck just shy of dead straight. Many would argue it's not right, but it's perfect for me.

This is why whenever I leave the house with my bass, I've a large screwdriver, a set of precision screwdrivers and a set of Allen keys.
[/quote]

Because sometimes the right person can do a better job than you can, depending on any issues your bass might have in the first place. Martin knows how I like my basses set up and always accommodates, but he has extra knowledge, experience and skill that enable him to do a better job than I can. If you buy a bass and the neck's perfect, the nut is perfect and the frets are perfect then you're good to go. However this often isn't the case.

FWIW I like my set ups similar to you and some repairers won't set my basses up like that, saying it's "a guitar setup", but that's how I want it. It's about finding somebody who understands what you want, which Martin does.

Edited by 4000

I don't understand the "i can't be bothered" or "they do it faster" argument. Yeah, it may be faster for the guy doing it but who cares? For you, how is taking it into a shop, leaving it and going back to pick it up easier than getting an allen wrench and turning it a quarter of an inch.

You only need to do intonation once. Maybe a re-do if you make massive changes. Doing the neck takes about 12 seconds and doing the bridge about two and a half minutes How much of a hurry are you in?

Like everything it comes down to experience. I have set up some guitars which I thought were set up very well and then I compared them to a Shuker setup for example and they weren't anywhere in the same league. If somebody is doing something for a living you would expect their skill level to be higher than a fettler at least in terms of custom builders, I'm not so sure about a local guitar shop setup. It's an individual choice as stated above,

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1381239753' post='2236236']
oo, nice! £48 on amazon compared to the price of a set-up from any shop doesn't seem so bad <_<
[/quote]

Only £40 from GAK. I tend to do most things myself, as i can do it when i want, how i want. That being said, i think i'll be taking my main bass for a 'proper' job soon as i think it needs a fret dress.

Liam