Why become a member? ×

Why Do People Think Set-Ups Are Magic?

Lowender

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1381236488' post='2236158']
What's the mystery? If you can use a screwdriver you can do a set up. Yet there's this notion that there are special people who do "good" set ups.

Reality check...

A "good" set up is like a "good" oil change. It's either done right or it isn't. There aren't variables. Bridge height is a matter of taste but other than that, the intonation is in tune or it isn't. The neck is either in a good position or it's too flat or too bowed.

That takes a bit of an eye and I understand that some people have it and some people don't. Some people can't hand a picture straight. But that doesn't make picture hanging a special skill.

I believe everyone should learn to do their set ups. You won't hurt the instrument unless you do something ridiculously foolish. Everyone should also be aware what is needed -- either neck relief or string height. Sets ups do not fix humps or dips or warped necks. They don't make an Affinity Squier sound like Fender MIA. It's really just a step up from knowing how to tune a guitar.
[/quote]

I really don't like the way you present your arguements, really aggressive and dismissive.

As for a 'good eye'. Every tech I've used and even myself have used a spacing gauge. But anyway. I wouldnt pay to get done what I can do. If I felt my bass needed frets level or a nut filing and fitting then I'd go somewhere to pay money to do that.

That's the difference between a setup and a tech's set up really.

I'm aware of people out there who pay to get the strings changed. And some who still have the stock strings on from when they brought it new 8 years ago.

Give people a break not everyone gives a rats ass about how well it should would or could play.

Edited by Prime_BASS

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1382244918' post='2249624']
I really don't like the way you present your arguements, really aggressive and dismissive.

As for a 'good eye'. Every tech I've used and even myself have used a spacing gauge. But anyway. I wouldnt pay to get done what I can do. If I felt my bass needed frets level or a nut filing and fitting then I'd go somewhere to pay money to do that.

That's the difference between a setup and a tech's set up really.

I'm aware of people out there who pay to get the strings changed. And some who still have the stock strings on from when they brought it new 8 years ago.

Give people a break not everyone gives a rats ass about how well it should would or could play.
[/quote]

LOL. That's fine.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1381323375' post='2237548']

Who said there's a problem? The post was not condemning anyone , it was meant to be encouraging.
[/quote]

Negative reinforcement is always a proven way to encourage people.

You seem so angry about several 'issues' and I'm not entirely sure you care that much you just want to get a reaction out of folk to satisy some kind of attention deficit.

That's of course my opinion and you'll be just as negative towards that as you do with anyone who posts in your threads.
I hope you find what is you are looking for in life but I don't think you'll find it here.

As always, drink your milk, be kind to your mum and play bass.