Why become a member? ×

An open letter to Custom builders. (Update on Page 11)

Shockwave

I have just been informed by a third party that [b]SGD pickups are now insolvent,[/b] the owner refuses to admit it and no longer responds to Emails.

So I am now out $470 and I do not have the money to purchase suitable pickups and they wouldn't be the RD clones that I wanted. Right now my custom bass will just not be finished. (I am accepting part exchanges on my Barefaced cab to raise the cash though :( )

I and many other people were constantly lied to by David who told us to trust him even though he broke his word many times. Well this is the ultimate proof and I am ultimately the one to pay the price, I just feel really dejected.

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1382430136' post='2251915']
I have just been informed by a third party that [b]SGD pickups are now insolvent,[/b] the owner refuses to admit it and no longer responds to Emails.

So I am now out $470 and I do not have the money to purchase suitable pickups and they wouldn't be the RD clones that I wanted. Right now my custom bass will just not be finished. (I am accepting part exchanges on my Barefaced cab to raise the cash though :( )

I and many other people were constantly lied to by David who told us to trust him even though he broke his word many times. Well this is the ultimate proof and I am ultimately the one to pay the price, I just feel really dejected.
[/quote]

What totally f***ed up state of affairs.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1382431199' post='2251932']
Sorry to hear that buddy :(
I'm sure I missed this detail early on, but what prompted you to spend £290 on some pickups? :unsure:
Were they custom from the ground up?

Si
[/quote]

Exact Gibson RD clones for my Gibson RD clone custom build and 7 string Ken Smith clones for my 7 string. 4 pickups total, price including shipping.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1382431652' post='2251939']
Ah ok gotcha, 2 seperate sets makes sense for that money.
Balls, I'm assuming not as an unsecured creditor, but any noise that you'll see any money back?

Si
[/quote]

Very difficult, he has not declared himself as insolvent officially, he does not respond to Emails and he is in the states. I imagine a lot of people are still hoping on receiving something from him. Plus I doubt there is much a bank could liquidize and make any money back on.

I cannot afford to buy any other pickups, so I have to make a proper go of selling my cab to raise the cash. So I'll be without a cab for a long time likely, I am not the richest of folk and these custom builds are the result of much scrimping and saving. As for the 7 string that was being modified, I guess that is just going to be in limbo for the foreseeable future.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1382134710' post='2248656']
Haha, mine were always waiting for me for years before I even wanted them!

What is the waiting time for a specially ordered Stingray? I thought 5-6 months.
[/quote]

Roughly 4 months. Bongo/Big Al/Reflex etc seem to take a little longer as they make them in batches. I'd say max of 5 months.

[/quote]

Awful state of affairs. Sorry to hear this.

I know most the custom builders are totally trustworthy, but its little snippits of info like this that put me off.

If it was a case of 'put down 20% then an extra 30% when its half done, then the rest on pickup' I would go for it, but after almost losing a fair whack with a shop some years back, I'm very cautious.

I hope you get it sorted. Sometimes, when I see low custom prices, I think 'there must be something not quite right here'.

With regards to Fodera, they are indeed extremely professional. One could say its expected at that price point, and it is. I would expect the very very best service.

However, shouldn't ALL retailers/musical instrument manufacturers/custom builders act like this? It not only attracts customers, it gives you an excellent edge over the market (maybe not so much if they all do it!).

The one thing I dislike about buying expensive instruments/amps/cabs etc is that sometimes, the professsional manner is lower than somewhere like ASOS when I buy a £40 Fred Perry item of clothing in the sale!

All customers, no matter what, should be treated properly. It DOES attract future customers and it retains customers!

[/quote]

Oof - sorry to hear it.

I think the writing has been on the wall with SGD for a couple of years now.

• 3 weeks later...

Really bad news and sorry to hear.
Hope it gets sorted for you.

Maybe we could set up a slush fund for you and maybe get your custom bass sorted.
Charity gigs donations to a good cause kind of thing.

Must admit my Overwater was spot on time with the build date. In fact it might even have been a day or two earlier than quoted.
Overwater are only 60miles from me and it was easy to get in touch quickly and resolve any queries. I wouldn't like to go to another country for a custom bass because of issues like yours.

Really sorry for you mate.
All the very best
Dave

I may have missed some detail in this but what happened to have you fork up the full amount before completion?

I have only recently got into custom stuff and every time it's been a case of pay a deposit and then the rest upon completion, and I've actually seen a picture of my item before I have paid the rest off.

Looking at the Talkbass thread, it looks like SGD had one hell of a business model, where the cashflow from new orders placed is used to buy materials to build the previous round of backlogged orders. That seems precarious to say the least. I don't know much about running a small manufacturing business, but surely that's not normal?
It's shame in a way, as Mr Schwab comes across as a nice, helpful guy online in non-business situations (for example, in the Ampage pickup makers forum) but seems not to have managed the business side too well.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1383911074' post='2270661'] Did you ever get the other problems sorted out, Letts basses ? I never liked the way that guy used to pop up posting about how fender basses were rubbish and his luthiery was was so superior. [/quote]

I have had recent comms with him and he is getting the bass finished. No ETA at the moment.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1383908703' post='2270603'] I may have missed some detail in this but what happened to have you fork up the full amount before completion? I have only recently got into custom stuff and every time it's been a case of pay a deposit and then the rest upon completion, and I've actually seen a picture of my item before I have paid the rest off. [/quote]

A number of times David had accepted a custom set of pups with just a small deposit and they were never paid in full. Due to the many bespoke designs he does he lost a lot of money. Or at least that's how the story goes.

Rob, Aaron Armstrong here in the UK MAKES Ken Smith's pickups. He could have supplied something similar for your needs for about 90-110 quid a unit. I've got one set that has been slightly tweaked for my self build and plan on ordering another.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1383919284' post='2270810']
Rob, Aaron Armstrong here in the UK MAKES Ken Smith's pickups. He could have supplied something similar for your needs for about 90-110 quid a unit. I've got one set that has been slightly tweaked for my self build and plan on ordering another.
[/quote]

Thanks Kiwi. The 7 string pups are actually replacing Kent Armstrongs! Either way, I just cant afford that kind of money for a while.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1383908703' post='2270603']

I may have missed some detail in this but what happened to have you fork up the full amount before completion?

I have only recently got into custom stuff and every time it's been a case of pay a deposit and then the rest upon completion, and I've actually seen a picture of my item before I have paid the rest off.
[/quote]
I hate to be a pedant (or do I,lol) but we had fookin pages and pages about Barefaced taking the final payment money well over a month or two in advance of delivery, thankfully I gather everyone did get their cabs and Alex is conquering the world as planned :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1384935251' post='2282377']
After dangling a carrot in front of David at SGD he has actually shipped a package to me! So who knows I might get my pickups after all. Just had to apply the right pressure and incentive.
[/quote]

I hope you're going to firmly insert that carrot somewhere once they've arrived :lol: