Why become a member? ×

The dorkiest bass?

Fionn

Must admit I'm not a huge fan of the single cut... I wouldn't say they look dorky though, just a bit odd.

Although they had a blueburst brubaker for sale on the bass direct website for a while that I thought looked fantastic. Maybe they look better with more strings? There was a single cut four string fodera that sold on here a while back in about 5 minutes for several thousand quid and I thought it looked awful...

Rob

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1377695883' post='2190475']
I'm going to have to go for a fender jazzes...
[/quote]

I suppose I sort of agree. Even though I own two.
Maybe they're more geek than dork.
Great to play (for me)
Just somehow lacking the simple "cool" of the precision.

This is my dorkiest one, and surely one of the dorkiest basses on the planet under the assumption that a grown up uses it.
I think it makes me adorkable.

Yup, it does!
I'm adorkable.

[url="http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/basstractor1/media/DaisyRockDR6022DebutanteDaisyawesomeblue_zps88dd89ac.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1377722694' post='2191006']
Anything with Squier on the headstock (apart from the original JV series).

So easy to get a used version of the 'real thing', why bother with cheap copies.

Bit like Japanese versions of a Harley - never taken very seriously :(
[/quote]

When I went to get a bass last I tried the Squire VM fretless and the Fender fretless (that was £300 more). The squier sounded better than the fender and was nicer to play. I don't really care if anyone takes it seriously, it was just a better bass :D

Although, maybe it because I am the type of person who wouldn't take anyone with a harley seriously!

Edited by Woodinblack

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1377724076' post='2191053']

When I went to get a bass last I tried the Squire VM fretless and the Fender fretless (that was £300 more). The squier sounded better than the fender and was nicer to play. I don't really care if anyone takes it seriously, it was just a better bass :D

Although, maybe it because I am the type of person who wouldn't take anyone with a harley seriously!
[/quote]

I didn't say they weren't any good (in fact lots of the instruments described here as being dorky might be great) - just, for me, a bit dorky. Kinda like Skoda compared VW. Lots of the same parts but just lacking something for me :(

Can totally understand the Harley thing - it was intentional. Harleys themselves not that great so the many cheap copies lack even more credibility :)

Edited by molan

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1377694107' post='2190445']
For me, dorkiness != ugliness. That's not what dorkiness is about, it's more an endearing awkwardness. In this respect I think some people are missing the point. If this was just another "ugly bass" thread, why not just call it that?

My vote is for the Gibson RD Artist. Huge. Neck sticks out further from the body than usual making it quite a stretch but the scale length is normal. Looks like a melted Thunderbird. Absolutely bonkers circuitry. Can pick up radio on some settings. Can sound like tuned springs on extreme EQ settings.

That's dorky. It's not ugly, it's not difficult to play, but it has some things about it that have you scratching your head going "eh?". Yet it makes me smile like this when I play it:

Now I look dorky, playing a dorky bass. THAT'S dorky.
[/quote]
That is the least dorky bass i've ever seen. That my friend is a thing of real beauty. :)

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1377692859' post='2190413']
Any of those manky funguswood bookmatched occasional table basses are dorky. All of em. They look so disgustingly musicianly. That's why most of em are used for jazz and jazz fusion and sh*t like that.

THE BELLS! THE BELLS! Singlecuts. Quasimodo dorkfest.
[/quote]
Yup, this.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1377727459' post='2191181']
That is the least dorky bass i've ever seen. That my friend is a thing of real beauty. :)
[/quote]

Why thank you. It's an "I'm allowed to have a playful dig at my own basses" thing, in the same way that one is allowed to slag off one's home town AND get offended at non-residents who do. It is dorky to me. The thing is having spent a lifetime being alternately referred to as dork, geek and nerd, I don't see it as an insult. To me, the RD is a dorky bass. It's clever (hello, built in compressor/expander and bright mode in addition to 2 band EQ - may as well be a built in slide rule and pocket protector), awkward (needs its own gig bag/case, neck position relative to the body), non-conformist and most definitely not swimming with the tide. The RD would never go to a school dance, even if it was asked, which it wouldn't because it's "weird".

It's probably the bass I identify with the most, and because I've become quite a militant dork/geek/nerd these days, I love to wave it like a flag in the face of conformity. Hey kids, it's OK to be clever, it's OK to be different and HERE'S why.

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1377765161' post='2191404']
I'm very likely a dork but this one is too much even for me.

Fokus Pirat
[url="http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/dincz/media/pirat_zpsf5347e6b.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

Now THAT reminds me of The Elephant Man.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1377766025' post='2191422']
Why thank you. It's an "I'm allowed to have a playful dig at my own basses" thing, in the same way that one is allowed to slag off one's home town AND get offended at non-residents who do. It is dorky to me. The thing is having spent a lifetime being alternately referred to as dork, geek and nerd, I don't see it as an insult. To me, the RD is a dorky bass. It's clever (hello, built in compressor/expander and bright mode in addition to 2 band EQ - may as well be a built in slide rule and pocket protector), awkward (needs its own gig bag/case, neck position relative to the body), non-conformist and most definitely not swimming with the tide. The RD would never go to a school dance, even if it was asked, which it wouldn't because it's "weird".
[/quote]
Yes, i can see that now. I will never see an RD in the same light again. :)

Still a great bass though!