Why become a member? ×

The dorkiest bass?

Fionn

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1377722694' post='2191006']
Anything with Squier on the headstock (apart from the original JV series).

So easy to get a used version of the 'real thing', why bother with cheap copies.

Bit like Japanese versions of a Harley - never taken very seriously :(
[/quote]

I like Squiers, and my Yamaha Virago ;)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1377766025' post='2191422']
Why thank you. It's an "I'm allowed to have a playful dig at my own basses" thing, in the same way that one is allowed to slag off one's home town AND get offended at non-residents who do. It is dorky to me. The thing is having spent a lifetime being alternately referred to as dork, geek and nerd, I don't see it as an insult. To me, the RD is a dorky bass. It's clever (hello, built in compressor/expander and bright mode in addition to 2 band EQ - may as well be a built in slide rule and pocket protector), awkward (needs its own gig bag/case, neck position relative to the body), non-conformist and most definitely not swimming with the tide. The RD would never go to a school dance, even if it was asked, which it wouldn't because it's "weird".

It's probably the bass I identify with the most, and because I've become quite a militant dork/geek/nerd these days, I love to wave it like a flag in the face of conformity. Hey kids, it's OK to be clever, it's OK to be different and HERE'S why.

[/quote]

I think the funny wee peaked cap ( in black) would've finished the look perfectly, and complemented the Fisherman's Friend with the megaphone thingy.

I'll make no comment on your dork/geek etc qualities, but I do like the bass, and your bassface.

Also, I like Mustangs, they rock, man!! ( and it's a cool sounding name).

Steinberger cricket bat thingies , played high , can never be cool , and therefore qualify as dorky. I think it's the law that you need to do a funny burling round thing when performing, and have a spikey mullet, and have a radio mic stuck on your face.

I guess being a grunge kid (and seeing as i may have sort of triggered this a bit) - anything with more than 4 strings, unless you're playing metal - anything that's ostentatiously flashy wood, PRS or anything too 'session muso' or jazz. Acoustic basses unless its 1994 and you're on MTV unplugged. Violin basses. Any bass worn above the belt buckle. Especially 5 string bookmatched and used for slap jazz funk fusion! :D

[quote name='operative451' timestamp='1377872953' post='2193092']
I guess being a grunge kid (and seeing as i may have sort of triggered this a bit) - anything with more than 4 strings, unless you're playing metal - anything that's ostentatiously flashy wood, PRS or anything too 'session muso' or jazz. Acoustic basses unless its 1994 and you're on MTV unplugged. Violin basses. Any bass worn above the belt buckle. Especially 5 string bookmatched and used for slap jazz funk fusion! :D
[/quote]

More prejudices than a coachload of UKIP members on a European tour :lol:

Surely the Weezer bass has to get a mention?

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/goat_punisher/media/2012-04-19165514.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/goat_punisher/2012-04-19165514.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

As Neep said, the old Gibsons like the RD, Grabber and Ripper are all pretty dorky (but super!)