Why become a member? ×

Fender to finally make the Starcaster bass and reissue the Coronado?

neepheid

I've just been in Wunjos, today. They have three Coronado basses (sunburst, black and cherry) and one Starcaster. The guitar shop also has some of the guitar variants.

I had a quick look and play on one of the Coronado basses. I have to say that the finish is exceptionally good, probably the nicest Chinese-made bass I've ever seen. The binding on the neck and around the inside of the F-holes is a really nice touch and is well done. Dont know the weight, but more heavy than I was expecting, probably because of the solid block in the centre section under the strings. Altogether it feels like a well-made and substantial instrument.

The instruments have only been in for a couple of days and the setup hasn't been tweaked, but they're surprisingly playable for something fresh out of the box.

Sound-wise, I'm not totally convinced. The standard setup has fairly light gauge round-wounds which run out of steam a bit on the E string and I think this bass is crying out for a set of flats to really do it justice. With the rounds, the tone controls don't seem to do a great deal, but all 3 pickup settings (neck/both/bridge) make a nice sound. I thought the output was a little puny, but I'm more used to active basses.

I didn't look at the Starcaster, call me old fashioned if you will but I think it's a bit ersatz. Plus I really liked the block bound neck on the Coronado and think it's worth the difference.

I guess if you were looking for this kind of bass, you'd also be looking at the Epi Jack Cassady and recent offerings from Italia Mondial, Gretch and maybe Hofner.

BigRedX I don't know what that is (Warwick Star??) but it looks fabulous.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1378935820' post='2206858']
I've just been in Wunjos, today...
[/quote]

Cheers for the review. I can confirm that the Fidelitron pickups are not high output, because I have one in my Cabronita P. Turn up the gain, you'll be OK :)

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1378935820' post='2206858']
BigRedX I don't know what that is (Warwick Star??) but it looks fabulous.
[/quote]

Thanks! Yes, it's one of the recently discontinued MiK Pro Series Star Basses that Thomann have been selling off cheaply. Several other Basschatters have also taken advantage of the offer. I'm very much taken with mine, although it's not as effortless to play as the Gus basses, with the current Terrortones guitar sound it sits slightly better in the live mix.

If you ask me, anything by the great, all-conquering Fender is good, but this is something different.

May need to get one for our "semi-acoustic" sets.

How decent of them to include a black one.

[url="http://www.fender.com/en-GB/series/modern-player/coronado-bass-rosewood-fingerboard-black/"]http://www.fender.com/en-GB/series/modern-player/coronado-bass-rosewood-fingerboard-black/[/url]

ALso available in lesser colours:

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-coronado-bass-black/87419"]http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-coronado-bass-black/87419[/url]

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1379085665' post='2208539']
I like the CAR but the 4-in-a-row headstock doesn't work with a symmetrical body for me :-(
[/quote]

Ha! Exactly my response.

But now I look at it again, I notice it also needs 5 more knobs/switches and yet another pickguard. :)

Went into Wunjo's and played with the Sunburst Coronado...
As mentioned before, slightly heavier than I was expecting for a semi but well balanced on the knee and on a strap.
I'm used to a Jazz neck but found this one very comfortable. The tone/volume pots feel solid and overall, the bass is well finished and looks the business in the flesh. I actually found the pickup selector gives three distinctive tones with minor changes from the tone controls.
Anyway, it came home with me and I'll give it a run at rehearsals tomorrow night.

Pretty slow making their way up the road :( Had a look on Guitar Guitar, Merchant City, Kenny's (Glasgow), Red Dog (Edinburgh) and not heard back from II Music (Edinburgh, Aberdeen and other places). Come on, get them loaded on vans and get 'em up here, Fender UK! ;)