Why become a member? ×

Fender to finally make the Starcaster bass and reissue the Coronado?

neepheid

Dunno if this is a windup or not, but if it's real... very interesting. Apologies if this has been covered already, had a quick search first.

[url="http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Effects-Pedals-Multi-Effects-and/Fender-teases-a-new-Starcaster-reissue/m-p/35763765"]http://www.harmonyce...ue/m-p/35763765[/url]

A model that never made it past prototype, and a long lost one. And two Fenders that most certainly would give me GAS, especially the Starcaster.

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1375825743' post='2166299']
Makes sense with all the pawn shop series that these would get an airing. To damn them with faint praise, I'm interested but wouldn't buy one :)
[/quote]

I don't think the Starcaster bass qualifies as part of the Pawn Shop strategy - it technically never existed (beyond something like 4 prototypes) and so in practice is a brand new model as far as Joe Public is concerned.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1375867450' post='2166572']
I don't think the Starcaster bass qualifies as part of the Pawn Shop strategy - it technically never existed (beyond something like 4 prototypes) and so in practice is a brand new model as far as Joe Public is concerned.
[/quote]
Isn't the Pawn Shop strapline "guitars that never were but should have been"? Sounds like the Starcaster bass is a perfect fit for that slogan.

Looks pretty cool, and in line with the slightly more creative things that Fender are doing these days. Good news.

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1375885755' post='2166943']
Isn't the Pawn Shop strapline "guitars that never were but should have been"? Sounds like the Starcaster bass is a perfect fit for that slogan.

Looks pretty cool, and in line with the slightly more creative things that Fender are doing these days. Good news.
[/quote]

But the Starcaster bass was intended to be, and did exist in prototype form, so it's not that it never was, just that it never got out ;)

Ach, this is pedantry. It doesn't really matter about the semantics, just excited to see something that I never thought I would see.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1375886226' post='2166963']
...Ach, this is pedantry. It doesn't really matter about the semantics, just excited to see something that I never thought I would see.
[/quote]
Agreed. Sorry for letting me pedantry get the better of me. It's good news (if true) in any case.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1375867450' post='2166572']
[/quote]

To be clearer it was more a reference to them pushing less conventional models rather than affiliating with any of the current ranges. I guess my point was they are trying to break with convention a little more lately

Although, the more I think about it, part of what made the Starcaster so cool was that it's such a rare bird. I guess it wont be soon. Same with Jaguars, Jazzmasters and Mustangs, they used to be something a bit special and out of the ordinary (to me at least), now they're common as muck.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1375912633' post='2167480']
If there was a 5-string of either of these I could be persuaded to actually buy a Fender bass!
[/quote]

If I had a quid for every time you start a sentence with a variant of "if it had 5 strings"... ;)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1375912633' post='2167480']
If there was a 5-string of either of these I could be persuaded to actually buy a Fender bass!
[/quote]

I never thought I would ever see this statement[size=4]. [/size]

[size=4]Pass the smelling salts.[/size]

I'm definite;y in for a Coronado - I'll have mine CAR with matching heatsock and pref a Coronado II model. Passed on an original in Wildwood a few months back-would've been a bad trade at my end, but I was VERY tempted.
Hopefully the new ones will be Japanese and won't cost the earth...

Like the look of the Starcaster too, but definitely far more into the Coronado!!!