Why become a member? ×

Fender to finally make the Starcaster bass and reissue the Coronado?

neepheid

[quote name='basshead56' timestamp='1377736643' post='2191282']
New info (apparently from a US retailer)

Made in China and well under $1k (US)

(link http://www.thegearpage.net/board//showthread.php?t=1302626&page=8)

Still would!!!
[/quote]

Accompanied by the usual xenophobia about Chinese Fenders. Sheesh, get over yourself, America. Poor show.

Exciting to see some official looking pics later in the thread, even if it is only the guitars.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1377762466' post='2191359']
Accompanied by the usual xenophobia about Chinese Fenders. Sheesh, get over yourself, America. Poor show.

Exciting to see some official looking pics later in the thread, even if it is only the guitars.
[/quote]

I know!
I appreciate that they are passionate about quality control and associate Made in USA with perfection but do they not realise that other countries are more than capable of producing goods equally well, or in the case of Japan and Korea - better.

All that said, my find of the century was a 2011 American Standard Jazz. Flawless!

Anyway, don't care where the Coronado is made now- I just want one!!!

Somewhat official looking pics obtained from an eBay seller who is offering them for pre-sale:

Really quite liking that cherry burst Starcaster, but there's something about that Coronado too. Can't wait for them to appear in shops, definitely will give them a bash.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1377864760' post='2192923']
Somewhat official looking pics obtained from an eBay seller who is offering them for pre-sale:

Really quite liking that cherry burst Starcaster, but there's something about that Coronado too. Can't wait for them to appear in shops, definitely will give them a bash.
[/quote]

There's definitely something about that Coronado.

Oh Fender, tell me it will be available in a 5 string...

I guess that's the official cat out of the bag then:

[url="http://www.fender.com/en-GB/basses/other/starcaster-bass-maple-fingerboard-aged-cherry-burst/"]http://www.fender.co...d-cherry-burst/[/url]

[url="http://www.fender.com/en-GB/basses/other/coronado-bass-rosewood-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst/"]http://www.fender.co...color-sunburst/[/url]

And shows you all I know - both short scale at 30". I thought the Starcaster might be longer. Oh well. Can't wait for these to find their way into shops.

Edited by neepheid

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size=4]I reckon the Starcaster is a bit of a dogs breakfast, where as the Coronado has a bit of pedigree, chum. I've been checking Wiki.. Designed[/size][/font][color="#000000"][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size=4] by Roger Rossmeisl from Rickenbacker and sporting De Armond Pups a la Gretsch. It's a bass that crosses over a few [/size]boundaries[size=4] into others territory.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]I mentioned earlier that I'd tried a few new Gretsch's, and I'm figuring this fidelitron pup is the same as would be put in a new Gretsch? Are they not the same company? I'm only saying this because the Gretsch's sounded ace, but were neck heavy long scale.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]On the face of it I would say they look ace and should sound fab if they are not all boxey. Lets see how she hangs?[/size][/font][/color]

Gretsch is owned by Fender now, so that would explain the pickups in the Coronado. I just sold a Gretsch Electromatic short scale that had the same pickups. It sounded great, very twangy and surprisingly bassy. Would have loved to have kept it, but I have a "three bass" rule and another short scale (semi acoustic like the Coronado) that was my 21st birthday present which I'll never part with.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1377864760' post='2192923']

[/quote]
...And the pole pieces line up! :D