Why become a member? ×

Getting rust off screws

Zenitram

Any tips for getting rust off pickguard and pickup screws, [b]using general household products[/b]? I don't mind them still looking fairly relic'ed afterwards (in fact that would be ideal), but I want to get most of the crusty rusty crap off.

Answers on an oxidised piece of scrap metal please.

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1375705401' post='2164461']
That looks good. How long did you bathe it for?
[/quote]

A few hours. I guess if it hasn't cleaned up enough you could keep going for longer, maybe change the coke every hour or so. I have no idea if that makes a difference.

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1375706114' post='2164475']
With the cola soak, do you just rinse it off with water afterwards? I've got a Marlin Strat copy I'm supposed to be cleaning up for a mate, most of the hardware could do with cleaning up.
[/quote]

Yes, rinse and dry thoroughly. I used diet cola as I didn't think sticky sugar was a good idea.

White vinegar and baking soda are good too. If there's loads of oil and crud put it in the dishwasher as well on a boil wash - works great for cleaning engine parts if you're restoring a car too. Probably best to do this when the wife is out though ;)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1376031431' post='2168692']
Seems like a lot of effort for some screws. What's wrong with just buying some new ones?
[/quote]
Exactly! [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Pickguard-Mounting-Screws-/281126874165?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item417477ac35"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Pickguard-Mounting-Screws-/281126874165?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item417477ac35[/url]