Why become a member? ×

What to do, what to do, what to do?

Truckstop

Well, it's a bit of a toughie.

I've somehow ended up in a band fulltime (2/3 gigs a week) and I'm loving it. We're a blues and rock n roll quartet and we dont play anyting past 1960. Tonight we played with a dep guitarist and now I'm all confused.

The usual guitarist is awesome; knows all the chords, solos beautifully and has a real pro touch to the music we play. He's a very pretty and intelligent player. He also spends ages getting the effects right for each song and has loads of really expensive and rare vintage effects and all that kind of stuff. We're lucky to have him.

The dep guitarist is, for all intents and purposes, not as good but yet I found myself having so much more fun and I felt so much more comfortable playing with the guy. He had a great sense of fun and rhythm that the usual guitarist seems to lack. His solos are over the top, he powers through the songs and generally has more balls. I like that he literally just turns up with an amp under his arm and a guitar bag. He uses just a Boss ME-20 and an amp and he's ready to go.

Obviously I'm not saying that I think we should sack the original and get the dep involved, I'm just confused that I prefer the playing of a technically inferior guitarist! Go figure!

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1373675883' post='2140588']

Obviously I'm not saying that I think we should sack the original and get the dep involved, I'm just confused that I prefer the playing of a technically inferior guitarist! Go figure!

Truckstop
[/quote]

Technicality doesn't equate to musicality. I think there are some musicians who are incredibly technical, and still musically fantastic, and some who aren't, and vice versa. How much fun you have playing with someone is also pretty irrelevant to their level of technical ability. I have great fun playing with a guy who is leaps and bounds better than me at guitar. If you enjoy playing with somebody, you should play with them, because what are we doing playing an instrument if we can't at least enjoy it? Your regular guitarist sounds like a real purist, and I bet people love him, and that's what gets the gigs that you have. If you were incredibly unhappy in that situation, I would say to leave, but if you're happy enough, I really don't understand what you are really asking. Sounds like your band is a good little earner, and your guitarist knows what he's at. If you want to do something for fun, you could maybe phone the dep and set up a jam, and maybe something will come of that, and you can have your cake, and eat it too.

Simon Cowell doesn't get his own way??

Sounds like you've got a great couple of guitarists to work with, and the fact that they bring different qualities just enhances the experience. Sometimes a change is refreshing, but that doesn't mean that the first guy isn't still fun to play with. I'm in a similar position with drummers in my blues band - totally different styles but both a joy to make music with.

Its about attitude coming across..
who connects best with the audience.?

You can be as technical as you like but with no personailty it will stall

I prefer players who can lift things with a single lick..and then the band can go thru a few gears
as everyone responds, hopefully.
The downside to that is on poor days you might just be going thru the motions.
The trick is to have to down days as still pretty good/better than average.

Guest bassman7755

Sounds like your band is lacking a certain energy that this other guy brought to the table, but theres no reason why you cannot step up and be that person and that way you get the best of all worlds.

You might think the dep is a great guy because he’s fresh and new. Would he stick around? What would he be like as a long term member of the band?

Anyway, so what exactly is [i]wrong[/i] with your guitarist?

You can always find someone better. The secret is knowing when to stop looking.

He also spends ages getting the effects right for each song and has loads of really expensive and rare vintage effects and all that kind of stuff.

[/quote]

Very often, as seen frequently on this forum, people forget that it's all about what notes you play and how you play them.

This guy has all the gear and only some idea. It's a lot better than all the gear and no idea.

You've now seen at first hand how its not about the gear it's about the player.

Learn and get better through practice and experience not by twiddling knobs.

Edited by TimR

We're lucky to have him.

[/quote]

There's your answer- your regular guy has a proven track record and you now have a killer dep. Win win :-)

I know what u mean though- for me it can be down to personality and a connection but also it's to do with that one-off dep related adrenaline hit. I've enjoyed gigs so much more when it's been a bit seat-of-the-pants but gone really well.

This is something that a lot of people don`t "get" and the ones that do find it very difficult to explain, as in, why a player/band etc is considered to be more exciting, even though they are technically less proficient.

I think it`s just down to personal preference - many far prefer 100% perfection in their music, fair play to them, but to me that process sounds like sterilisation. That said, they would probably listen to the roughness of the takes I prefer and think they sound amateurish. Beauty is in the ears of the beholder.

As others have said though, good place to be in, with two great guitarists available.

We sometimes use a dep drummer, and he's technically amazing.

What I really like is his spontaneity - he throws stuff in that you'd never think would fit.

It makes it really great fun playing alongside (nearly said 'with') him, puts a real sense of fun in the music.

I think part of the thrill is the change - the band immediately feels totally different....but I'm not sure it would work full-time....as sometimes, in a simply 3-chord 12-bar, he'll throw in some way-out jazzy style stuff! I think I spend all my time watching him when he's with us!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1373724924' post='2141002']
I think it`s just down to personal preference - many far prefer 100% perfection in their music, fair play to them, but to me that process sounds like sterilisation.
[/quote]

I think there's a big difference between tight and sterile. You can still be tight, play the right notes and inject energy and passion without being clinical.

It all comes down to feel. Is the musician just playing the notes or are they feeling the music and conveying that feeling to the audience.

It's a difficult concept to write about or explain until you have the experience of knowing what feel is.

A great band isn't about great players (although being good helps) it's about how well they play together.

As I said before, you can always find better players but that doesn’t guarantee they’ll be the best band members.

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1374110203' post='2145467']
In the last band I was in , we payed blues , performed by engineers , it kind of lacked spontanaity and dare I say musicality
[/quote]

I was in a briefly band who were similar. The guitarist was very technically proficient, and had some great sounds, but somehow lacked feel and, as you say, spontaneity. Drummer was very tight timing wise (too rigid really), but lacked flair, and lacked dynamics. My bass teacher calls it "Playing by numbers", which seems to describe it well. Anyway, I was kicked out of that band, although I was thinking of leaving anyway.

An occasional band I'm in is totally different. Brilliant guitarist who just knows his way round incredibly well and makes it up as he goes, no two solos ever the same. Inspired drummer, keyboard and sax etc. In this band I am definitely the musical dunce, but much more fun and (I hope) better to listen to. Problem with this band is that the guitarist has been there and done it (ex pro) and doesn't want to do more than a couple of gigs a year (also suffering from some pretty heavy chemical abuse when he was on the road).

Yep, some technically proficiency is a requirement, but flair is also required to make something good to listen to.