Why become a member? ×

Rolling Stones at Glastonbury

timmo

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1372544727' post='2127121']
Keef is famous for using 5 string guitars. Anyone know why?
[/quote]

yes, he tunes it to an open G chord i think, he got it from ry cooder (who did it because he's a slide player). the 6 string becomes a bit redundant. its great fun to play an electric tuned like this, it makes a sound impossible to get in standard tuning.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1372544727' post='2127121']
That was Mick Taylor?

Keef is famous for using 5 string guitars. Anyone know why?

I'm loving it. Seem to have lost some of the groove of earlier incarnations but considering what's been going round in their veins for so many years I think they're amazing.
[/quote]

It's when he's using open tunings, like Open G (Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk ) or Open D (Jumping Jack Flash - I think) - he realised the 6th string is mostly superfluous, so he had several 5 strings made for him.

Oops, beaten to it!

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

I am enjoying it. Perhaps it is the curse of being good musicians why some people are not enjoying it, and . I am not, so to me it sounds good. I like the loose sound. If I wanted it really tight and formulaic, I can put on a CD

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1372545464' post='2127136']
I am enjoying it. Perhaps it is the curse of being good musicians why some people are not enjoying it, and . I am not, so to me it sounds good. I like the loose sound. If I wanted it really tight and formulaic, I can put on a CD
[/quote]

I'm loving it +1

Darryl Jones is on form too... :).

Open G is GDGBD using 5 strings, you basically can do a barre chord with one finger, then add your suspended chords on top with one or two fingers. Ideal for things like Brown Sugar or Start Me Up where you could, in theory, play them while severely drugged out your brain and still sound decent. Not that that was in Keefs thoughts of course...;)

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1372545464' post='2127136']
[/quote]

its not the sound, it's the look!

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1372546098' post='2127148']
its not the sound, it's the look!
[/quote]
If you want the look perhaps One Direction is going to be more your thing. I would take the music over the look anyday