Why become a member? ×

Rolling Stones at Glastonbury

timmo

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1372634562' post='2128047']I'm a miserable bastard, but at least I'm not consistantly about an eighth of a semitone flat and wailing loudly in a deep baritone voice about themes of dissolution, death and despair... surely you don't mean a musical genius?[/quote]

Yes, you are a miserable bastard. And I think you mean 'consistently'. And yes, NC [i]is[/i] a musical genius. But what's really raising the temperature of my urine to at least 100 degrees Celsius is the fact that your quotes take far too much time to edit due to your inexplicable habit of entering double spaces everywhere , particularly before commas , ( and before and after parentheses ) , random words , and full points . :P

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1372638263' post='2128078']
Yes, you are a miserable bastard. And I think you mean 'consistently'. And yes, NC [i]is[/i] a musical genius. But what's really raising the temperature of my urine to at least 100 degrees Celsius is the fact that your quotes take far too much time to edit due to your inexplicable habit of entering double spaces everywhere , particularly before commas , ( and before and after parentheses ) , random words , and full points . :P
[/quote]

I'm a miserable bastard because I have had a hard life . And I already told you , I can't spell and I am consistantly intoxicated . But regardless of that , my spelling is infinitely better most of the time than most other people on Basschat .Besides which , I thought you were supposed to put a space after punctuation when you type . Even if you're not supposed to , I think spreading my posts outlike that makes me more important . Because it make them bigger . I don't know why you have singled me out today to discipline and make an example of . Are you having one of those days where you pretend to be a strict English teacher ?. My friend who worked for the BBC who had a breakdown started sitting at his computer and pretendiing he was a travel agent and acted out booking flights to exotic destinations for imaginary customers . I let him book me a flight to Indianapolis and then freaked him out by going to Indianapolis shortly afterwards ( for an interview) and sending him a postcard . I am glad to tell you he's much better now and back at work , albeit in a lesser position within that organisation .

Regardless of this , to my sensibilities at least , Nick Cave is not a musical genius , unless you have a very generous definition of the term . He sounds like Val Doonican with an underactive thyroid and a serious drug problem . Who knows , maybe that is his genius , after all . Maybe it's me who is out of step and the World needs a crooner like Nick . That said , in spite of his questionable musical talent , he seems like a very intelligent and interesting bloke who has plenty of other talents . And he really knows how to dress himself , so full marks to him for that .

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1372624461' post='2127872']
I am not sure that is true about being a fan. I like a few of their songs, Paint It Black and give me shelter to name two which they didn`t play. I liked it because they went to Glastonbury, which they didn`t need to, and probably got a fraction of what they usually got paid. I just liked the whole set because it seemed they were coming back to the people, instead of being charged £150 for the privilege. Maybe they weren`t great , but as I said, the majority of the country have no experience of playing an instrument, so they enjoy them as entertainers, not as critiques.
[/quote]
They [u]did[/u] play Paint it Black and Give me Shelter.

For the record Nick Cave knocked through our living room and sun room in my old house, made good the old sash windows, re-plastered the hall way and took down an old chimney stack. He did an excellent job as it happens and Ill not hear a bad word said. Id recommend him any day.* As for the 'other' Nick Cave he does some pretty good tunes in my book to.

A

* All 100% true - I still have the receipt.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1372619036' post='2127795']

I'm starting to get a flavour of how you feel and I'm sure there are health care professionals out there that can help you.
They're just a band.
[/quote]
Please refer me, I think you may be right.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1372612227' post='2127691']
So true. A lot of music has the very soul wrenched from it in the name of 'perfection'. I'd rather hear something a little less perfect technically but which retains at least some connection on an emotional level. I've spent a few years composing in front of a computer screen myself, but would much rather play in a band of humans, with all their faults... in fact, [i]because [/i]of their faults.
[/quote]

Yep - take the emotion out of music and you're left with something suitable for a hotel lobby or shopping mall.

To be fair, I don't think we can criticise a band that has been going for this long, providing many generations with a 'rock n roll dream'.

I don't really listen to the Stones much, but I have a lot of time and respect for them.

Ageing rockers? Oh yes, but anyone critising needs to assess what they will be doing at 69/70. Most likely, sat at home commenting on other bands and playing in local bars, (that's if you are lucky!).

There will be a time in 10-15 years when the legends won't exist anymore. We won't have big classic bands anymore, just thousands of small NME bands who capture audiences for one album then disappear. That's happened in my lifetime, and I'm only 32. The only 'big' bands who might be going are bands such as REM, Coldplay, Muse, and big pop acts. I'd hesitate to add Kings of Leon into that list as they don't qualify. They were pretty damn brilliant at first but I don't think they will reach that stage.

Good on the Stones for still being alive, still rocking out, and still captivating a huge audience. I hope I can be as lucky when I'm their age.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1372655132' post='2128102']I thought you were supposed to put a space after punctuation when you type . [/quote]

Yes, but not [i]before [/i]it. :D

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1372655132' post='2128102']Are you having one of those days where you pretend to be a strict English teacher ?. [/quote]

You don't need a full point after a question mark. ;)
In any case now that we've [i]both [/i]embarrassed ourselves, shall we leave it there? :)

Edited by discreet

I've just heard the wood pigeons in a tree just outside my window doing that cooing thing and it was absolutely in time with the 'ooh, ooh,' in Sympathy For The Devil. How cool is that?

P.S. I should also say that it was a lot more in tune than Mick's cringeworthy series of ooh, oohs at Glasto.

Edited by BetaFunk

I watched ten minutes of it, near the end of Midnight Rambler. So ropey!!

I thought they seemed exactly what they are, very very old men dragging their sorry carcasses across a stage without the help of their walkers for two hours. Mick especially looked only just capabel of moving around. Such a shame, but inevitable....

I dont mind the Stones as it goes, but by gum have they overstayed their welcome. As for the pub rock covers band comment, a mate of mine plays in the Rolling Tones, a tribute band, and they are incredible, no they arent the real deal, but they certainly produce energy several orders of magnitude greater than that on the stage of Glastonbury IMO, anywhere from a pub to the British Embassy or B Palace (seriously they've played for "Her Madge" :blink:).

I turned over and was thoroughly blown away by Public Enenmy, now that was great!

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1372677767' post='2128357']
I've just heard the wood pigeons in a tree just outside my window doing that cooing thing and it was absolutely in time with the 'ooh, ooh,' in Sympathy For The Devil. How cool is that?

[/quote]

It's not a coincidence . After Altamont the Stones enlisted the help of the wood pigeons to protect them from the wrath of the Hells Angels who had taken out a contract on them . The plan was that wherever the Stones were in the World , there would be a local chapter of pigeons waiting in the sky above them ready to swoop down on any would - be assailants and peck them mercilessly into submission . The Beatles had tried a similar plan a couple of years earlier - Paul wrote the song Blackbird about it - but Yoko put a stop to it because she saw it as a challenge to her absolute authority over John .

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1372678063' post='2128364']
"Let he who has been in a successful rock band since 1963, helped write the rule book and many catchy hit records and is till doing it in 2013 cast the first stone" (no pun intended)
[/quote]

Exactly. it's the fate of any new, edgy, bad boy, anarchic band (as the Stones once were) that becomes wildly popular, grows up to become rich and famous and becomes the establishment yardstick that a new generation of young wannabe edgy, bad boy, anarchic bands aims to kick down while chasing their own dreams and ambitions. And so it goes . . . .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1372680329' post='2128399']
It's not a coincidence . After Altamont the Stones enlisted the help of the wood pigeons to protect them from the wrath of the Hells Angels who had taken out a contract on them . The plan was that wherever the Stones were in the World , there would be a local chapter of pigeons waiting in the sky above them ready to swoop down on any would - be assailants and peck them mercilessly into submission . The Beatles had tried a similar plan a couple of years earlier - Paul wrote the song Blackbird about it - but Yoko put a stop to it because she saw it as a challenge to her absolute authority over John .
[/quote]
I can understand that as the wood pigeons are well hard around here and always go around in twos. They almost sneer at me as they look down from their lofty perch and even the cats around here walk in fear.

I watched a few tracks on Iplayer.... and it was the Stones that you always get.

You are never going to get anything unless you sacked Charlie and have a proper MD
and show.
Running everything off the whim of the gtr is a recipe for disaster that even the top
sidemen can struggle with.

It is the Stones...always have been ..always will be...don't expect anything else.
People still buy their tickets.

The one man who earnt his money was Jagger..IMO..considering the other two can hardly stand up.. :lol:

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1372683114' post='2128459']
I watched a few tracks on Iplayer.... and it was the Stones that you always get.

You are never going to get anything unless you sacked Charlie and have a proper MD
and show.
Running everything off the whim of the gtr is a recipe for disaster that even the top
sidemen can struggle with.

It is the Stones...always have been ..always will be...don't expect anything else.
People still buy their tickets.

The one man who earnt his money was Jagger..IMO..considering the other two can hardly stand up.. :lol:
[/quote]

?

Charlie carries it, IMO.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1372664777' post='2128168']
Hee hee..... I know but I didn't wanna say.
[/quote]
Why didn`t you want to say? You can always tell me if I am wrong, I won`t mind. Did you see it on TV? I have just watched the iplayer again, and no Paint it Black or Give Me Shelter .Looking at the set list, it was early and the tv coverage only started with Miss you.