Why become a member? ×

Rolling Stones at Glastonbury

timmo

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1372600612' post='2127541']
Having seen some truly dire Stones performances over the years, I'd have to say they're having something of an Indian summer this time round.

Much tighter and more grooving; Woody taking it seriously for a change; wiry, taut guitars instead of the bludgeoning we've come to expect. A much more open sound and they all looked considerably happier compared to previous outings.

Some might say that the Stones are no more than a pub band and they'd be right. A pub band blown up to the Nth degree, playing to the limits of their fairly restricted abilities and all the better for that. When you throw in a back-story that's the greatest soap opera ever and the natural affection one feels for bad Grandads, it's no surprise that the average punter will have a soft spot for them.

Set against all this, critical assessment of their worth is almost impossible. If the Stones 'aren't all that', well, compared to what? To weigh the Stones against other bands at Glastonbury is like comparing the Pyramids with a local mini-cab company. One is a dominating edifice from history to which all the world's tourists may flock, the other a here-today, gone-tomorrow commercial operation of narrower, more specific scope and intent.

If - by their nature - the Stones are incomparable to other bands, it follows that they may only be measured against themselves. While they may lack the edge and bite of their heyday, they do a better job than most of giving the punters a return on their cash. Perhaps because they can usually be seen to be trying harder than most, a principle which they have embraced from Day 1 albeit with chequered results.

Ladies and Gentleman, the greatest pub blues band in the world.

[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[/quote]

Hear, Hear, Skank.

It may be interesting to see the age split of those that enjoyed the show vs. those who didn't.

I have a feeling that the more elderly among us who came through the system of playing lots live before going into the studio and recording at least 5 tracks in one day understand more of what was going on (feel wise) compared to the younger fellahs who rehearse like f**k in their bedrooms, and take 15 weeks to overproduce one technically perfect track do.
I'm not trolling BTW - just my point of view.

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1372610490' post='2127660']I have a feeling that the more elderly among us who came through the system of playing lots live before going into the studio and recording at least 5 tracks in one day understand more of what was going on (feel wise) compared to the younger fellahs who rehearse like f**k in their bedrooms, and take 15 weeks to overproduce one technically perfect track do.[/quote]

So true. A lot of music has the very soul wrenched from it in the name of 'perfection'. I'd rather hear something a little less perfect technically but which retains at least some connection on an emotional level. I've spent a few years composing in front of a computer screen myself, but would much rather play in a band of humans, with all their faults... in fact, [i]because [/i]of their faults.

Talking about people past their sell-by date... currently really enjoying Kenny Rogers on BBC2
When he first came on..I thought, oh er... a bridge too far... but no, the boy warmed
up and delivered.
His voice may be faltering but he had the crowd in the palm of his hand...
You can see why he is a 'great'....

Don't know whether to applaud them or wheel them into the nearest nursing home !

Think Kenny Rodgers is doing a better job at the moment representing the old fart brigade at Glasto at the moment !

Do get slightly peeved at The Stones constant craving for money , there not stupid they'll release a live dvd with Glasto & Hyde Park and make a fortune.

Did make me laugh when I read that Mick had been fitness training for the gig , and had 3 facials before going on, Keith had however done nothing except make sure that all his lighters were full ! :lol:

Perhaps this is how they get the name "The greatest rock n roll band " its a funny old world !

Just watched the Stones on iPlayer - must say in all honesty - I got bored. Agreed with comments previously that they indulged extended versions that just noodled on and on. Cannot say that KR & RW seemed very engaged, unlike MJ & CW. Darryl did a neat job and was good to hear the bass coming through.

Considering in our cover band we do 4 Stones covers - now I really fear the extended version creeping on us. And as our drummer like a jam - must be aware of the danger.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1372612227' post='2127691']

So true. A lot of music has the very soul wrenched from it in the name of 'perfection'. I'd rather hear something a little less perfect technically but which retains at least some connection on an emotional level. I've spent a few years composing in front of a computer screen myself, but would much rather play in a band of humans, with all their faults... in fact, [i]because [/i]of their faults.
[/quote]

I dunno. I've always found them pretty soul-less live (although to be fair, I've never seen them in the flesh). Lots of attitude, but that alone can't carry it for me.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1372614540' post='2127729']I dunno. I've always found them pretty soul-less live (although to be fair, I've never seen them in the flesh). Lots of attitude, but that alone can't carry it for me.[/quote]

Well I've not seen 'em in the flesh, either. Don't think they've got much flesh left, tbh... ;)

I've just caught some of Nick Cave . Now he[i] is [/i]unequivocally dire . I would rather attach lead weights to my scrotum than endure much more of his pretentious maudeline and morose drivel . Who the f*** enjoys this rubbish ? They must be deaf or stupid or both . It's like watching one of The Munsters doing karaoke . Complete and utter bollocks .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1372618172' post='2127779']I've just caught some of Nick Cave. Now he[i] is [/i]unequivocally dire . I would rather attach lead weights to my scrotum than endure much more of his pretentious maudeline and morose drivel. Who the f*** enjoys this rubbish ? They must be deaf or stupid or both. It's like watching one of The Munsters doing karaoke. Complete and utter bollocks.[/quote]

You forgot to say 'in my humble opinion'. And I think you mean 'maudlin'. And saying that anyone who enjoys Nick Cave is deaf or stupid or both is a little bit out of order. OK, you don't like him. We get it. But there are quite a number of NC fans on here.

Just watched it.
Seemed to be monitoring problems - or hearing aid problems.
Awful Intonation and tuning going on.

DJ was solid, and him and Charlie kept it all together [Just]
But I Suppose in true Stones fashion, they gave them what they wanted, the business of show [And they are great at that]
The old gits know how to entertain.

Garry

Just watched the recording from last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it, along with, oh, 100,000 others in the audience!
C'mon, how many of the dislikes are real? Wouldn't you like to be doing that at 70? If not, why are you playing at all?
If they were truly no good at all, you wouldn't have just watched them - because they would never have made it there!
Good on 'em!

I thought it was awful. I honestly thought it was cringeworthy. Theres plenty bands out there that are in the later years but still pulling it off.... RS were terrible.

I appreciate that if I was there then I may have felt differently but that would be more to do with the atmosphere created from the bands reputation and name.... not from the sounds coming from the PA.

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1372622082' post='2127832']
I thought it was awful. I honestly thought it was cringeworthy. Theres plenty bands out there that are in the later years but still pulling it off.... RS were terrible.

I appreciate that if I was there then I may have felt differently but that would be more to do with the atmosphere created from the bands reputation and name.... not from the sounds coming from the PA.
[/quote]
This.

The Stones have been doing the same old things for decades, rehash after rehash after rehash. It's a job. The same old job, doing the same old things. If they've been deveioping musically, it's not as The Stones. Hey ho ...

I flippin' loved it. Yes, parts of it were a bit cack, but they still make the skinny trousers and ironic glasses brigade look limp by comparison. They've earned their stripes time and again over a career lasting more than three hundred years. Or something.

Loose but tight, I wouldn't imagine much rehearsal time is spent working out parts and arguing over major sevenths, and IMHO its all the better for it.

I felt a bit sorry for Primal Scream though, Aldi to The Stones' Harrods.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1372619668' post='2127802']
I want to cook Mick Jagger a big hearty meal, he looks like he needs it!

Darryl Jones rocks though :D
[/quote]

I thought that as well. The lad can still strut his stuff though. Respect.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1372620745' post='2127818']
You forgot to say 'in my humble opinion'. And I think you mean 'maudlin'. And saying that anyone who enjoys Nick Cave is deaf or stupid or both is a little bit out of order. OK, you don't like him. We get it. But there are quite a number of NC fans on here.
[/quote]

I'm a drunk dyslexic who can't type - I think I got the spelling pretty close under those circumstances . Humility has never been one of my strong points - I've been presenting my opinions as facts for some time now and seemed to be getting away with it , I hope this isn't the end of that or I might have to start acting reasonably :D . Nick Cave still sounds rubbish to me , regardless of whether it is fact or my opinion . I saw live him when he was in The Birthday Party back in about 1982 and they were a complete cacophony , too . The man has a gift for the dismal .

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1372622808' post='2127843']
[size=4]The Stones have been doing the same old things for decades, rehash after rehash after rehash. It's a job. The same old job, doing the same old things. If they've been deveioping musically, it's not as The Stones. Hey ho ...[/size]
[/quote]

Regarding the Musical side of the Stones.......That's about it in a nutshell really.

Just watching on youtube. Miss You was the first song I ever learned for guitar.

As for the 'loose' complaints, I hope none of you ever see me play out, because loose is how I like to play.

*edit*
I've Just seen Mick Taylor take his first solo. Maybe not intentionally [i]quite [/i]that loose.

Edited by Ancient Mariner