Why become a member? ×

Rolling Stones at Glastonbury

timmo

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1372623725' post='2127862']
Quite, but as Mark E Smith said, 'You can't be cock-a-hoop all the fookin' time'.
[/quote]

Mark E Smith is one of the few people in the music business I can think of that I am genuinely frightened ( and a bit in awe ) of .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1372623903' post='2127864']Mark E Smith is one of the few people in the music business I can think of that I am genuinely frightened ( and a bit in awe ) of .[/quote]

That's good - because he likes Basschat and speaks very highly of you. :shok:

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1372607646' post='2127623']
I really don't see the point of this post. Of course how good you think they are depends on whether you are a fan or not. If you are not a fan you are hardly gonna say " watching the stones here, they are excellent but I think they are sh*t". Of course you would see something different if you liked them. As for you liking chic less but watching them more, what does that quantify, other than my level of confusion?
[/quote]
I am not sure that is true about being a fan. I like a few of their songs, Paint It Black and give me shelter to name two which they didn`t play. I liked it because they went to Glastonbury, which they didn`t need to, and probably got a fraction of what they usually got paid. I just liked the whole set because it seemed they were coming back to the people, instead of being charged £150 for the privilege. Maybe they weren`t great , but as I said, the majority of the country have no experience of playing an instrument, so they enjoy them as entertainers, not as critiques.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1372624291' post='2127870']
That's good - because he likes Basschat and speaks very highly of you. :shok:
[/quote]

I think you'll find that most of the big names in the music industry are logging on to this site on the sly to hear my controversial and fascinating opinions and find out where they stand ;)

Just one question....... If The Rolling Stones ever asked any of you if you wanted to play bass in the band, would anyone turn them down? I know I wouldn`t. That would have to be the biggest invite in music

Edited by timmo

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1372624716' post='2127880']
I think you'll find that most of the big names in the music industry are logging on to this site on the sly to hear my controversial and fascinating opinions and find out where they stand ;)
[/quote]

Nah, don't you believe it..!They're just after a quick gander at your avatar..! :mellow:

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1372624825' post='2127889']
Just one question....... If The Rolling Stones ever asked any of you if you wanted to play bass in the band, would anyone turn them down? I know I wouldn`t. That would have to be the biggest invite in music
[/quote]

thats a daft thing to ask and has no bearing on the topic of conversation!

Edited by lefrash

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1372625153' post='2127895']
I was about 100 yards back stage right. It was good, you had to be there. But it was good, like really awesomely cheesey crowd pleasingly fun stuff type good.
I liked it.
[/quote]
Good for you :) That is what I was trying to say, if you were there with the atmosphere and all, it was probably excellent. Watch it on DVD or a live recording in the future, you would probably think, it was good, but not great. Atmosphere can not translate to TV

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1372618172' post='2127779']
I've just caught some of Nick Cave . Now he[i] is [/i]unequivocally dire . I would rather attach lead weights to my scrotum than endure much more of his pretentious maudeline and morose drivel . Who the f*** enjoys this rubbish ? They must be deaf or stupid or both . It's like watching one of The Munsters doing karaoke . Complete and utter bollocks .
[/quote]
The man is a genius, lyrically and musically. Witness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx9P6qB3R8E

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1372625491' post='2127902']
thats a daft thing to ask and has no bearing on the topic of conversation!
[/quote]
Not daft at all. People are saying they were not that great, I am asking if they would play if they could. I have no idea who the bassist was, but he would maybe have said it was a stupid question a couple of years ago . Would you turn it down?

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1372625783' post='2127912']
I have no idea who the bassist was[/quote]

Daryll 'The Munch' Jones. He used to get around a bit....

Sting...with one of his popular beat combos.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfIAhe_rj2U[/media]

Miles...with another popular beat combo.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnhhHOzOAeo[/media]

[size=4]Garry[/size]

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1372610490' post='2127660']
Hear, Hear, Skank.

It may be interesting to see the age split of those that enjoyed the show vs. those who didn't.

I have a feeling that the more elderly among us who came through the system of playing lots live before going into the studio and recording at least 5 tracks in one day understand more of what was going on (feel wise) compared to the younger fellahs who rehearse like f**k in their bedrooms, and take 15 weeks to overproduce one technically perfect track do.
I'm not trolling BTW - just my point of view.
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1372612227' post='2127691']
So true. A lot of music has the very soul wrenched from it in the name of 'perfection'. I'd rather hear something a little less perfect technically but which retains at least some connection on an emotional level. I've spent a few years composing in front of a computer screen myself, but would much rather play in a band of humans, with all their faults... in fact, [i]because [/i]of their faults.
[/quote]

Spot-on to my way of thinking, guys.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1372628525' post='2127967']

Thanks for the recommendation , but there is enough grinding misery in my life already .
[/quote]
I must admit NC is a miserable bastard, however is also a genius and at certain times in my life I've been quite drawn to his music.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1372629285' post='2127974']
Spot-on to my way of thinking, guys.
[/quote]

Me too. Mumfords on at the moment, not a great fan at all but there are wooden musical instruments being played and imperfect vocal harmonies happening before me. I'm enjoying it very much.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1372631818' post='2128012']
I must admit NC is a miserable bastard, however is also a genius and at certain times in my life I've been quite drawn to his music.
[/quote]

He's also used Norman W-R on occasion, any friend of Norman....!

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1372631818' post='2128012']
[/quote]

I'm a miserable bastard , but at least I'm not consistantly about an eighth of a semitone flat and wailing loudly in a deep baritone voice about themes of dissolution , death and despair . ( I leave that kind of thing to Mrs Dingus ) . To be fair to Nick , I liked his suit , and his shirt was pretty dapper too , so full marks to him for making an effort to look smart . When you say he's a genius , I'd love to know in which direction or discipline you see his his alleged talents shining so brightly . Surely you don't mean a musical genius ?

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1372631992' post='2128018']
Tuned one of my guitars open G today in honour of Keef, it's a Squier tele so it looks the part. Must admit it was lot if fun. I'm gonna leave it like that for a while.
[/quote]

If you enjoyed the Stones so much why not treat yourself and go the whole hog with your Keef tribute - rent a Chateau in the South of France and get yourself a kilo of smack and a blonde girl with big knockers . That open G tuning will start to sound even better , I guarantee it .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1372634860' post='2128049']

If you enjoyed the Stones so much why not treat yourself and go the whole hog with your Keef tribute - rent a Chateau in the South of France and get yourself a kilo of smack and a blonde girl with big knockers . That open G tuning will start to sound even better , I guarantee it .
[/quote]
I'm wearing the T-shirt.....