Why become a member? ×

Rolling Stones at Glastonbury

timmo

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1372673219' post='2128281']
To be fair, I don't think we can criticise a band that has been going for this long, providing many generations with a 'rock n roll dream'.

I don't really listen to the Stones much, but I have a lot of time and respect for them.

Ageing rockers? Oh yes, but anyone critising needs to assess what they will be doing at 69/70. Most likely, sat at home commenting on other bands and playing in local bars, (that's if you are lucky!).

There will be a time in 10-15 years when the legends won't exist anymore. We won't have big classic bands anymore, just thousands of small NME bands who capture audiences for one album then disappear. That's happened in my lifetime, and I'm only 32. The only 'big' bands who might be going are bands such as REM, Coldplay, Muse, and big pop acts. I'd hesitate to add Kings of Leon into that list as they don't qualify. They were pretty damn brilliant at first but I don't think they will reach that stage.

Good on the Stones for still being alive, still rocking out, and still captivating a huge audience. I hope I can be as lucky when I'm their age.
[/quote]
To be fair, a lot of those bands split up when big but I'm pretty sure if they kept on then they would still be playing to huge amounts of people.

I saw the Stones at Knebworth in '76. It wasn't a great performance as I remember (Keef was drugged up to his eyeballs) and I believe Lynrd Skynrd blew them off the stage. But..........it didn't matter.......we'd seen 'The Stones' ......and THAT was the point.

Btw - Woody's strange shaped guitar is a Fano....!

• 2 weeks later...

During the 1970s the Stones used Ampeg amps and they had a more saturated,psychedelic sound. They are on Get Yer Ya Yas Out (1969 live in NY). Now Keith and Ronnie use Fender combos and get more treble "cut" and less distortion. I like both -do you? Does Daryl use a regular SVT or something else? What amp does Bill Wyman use?