Why become a member? ×

What's everyone's albums of 2013 so far?

lou24d53

Perhaps more suited to 'Off Topic', but never mind...just wondering, what's everyone's top albums of 2013 so far?

Personally, I can stop listening to Queens Of The Stone Age's "...Like Clockwork"' think it is an absolutely outstanding collection of tunes.
Of all the reviews I've read, I've not seen it score any higher than 4 out of 5, but I absolutely love it.

Eels - Wonderful, Glorious is fantastic.

Transplants - In A Warzone. Released this week and already a firm favourite! Absolutely brutal.

And haven't heard Like CLockwork yet, but I imagine if you like that you may enjoy these two!

Edited by Duarte

Actually, I'm going to use this opportunity for a sneaky plug for the website I review for ;)

[url="http://www.themidlandsrocks.com/tag/ian-savage/#.Uc8fFT7wJkg"]http://www.themidlan...e/#.Uc8fFT7wJkg[/url]

Rob Zombie's was pretty good too, now I remember! And I somehow managed to forget Streetlight Manifesto, if you like punk at all you NEED it.

Edited by Ian Savage

QOTSA - Like Clockwork (I was never much of a QOTSA fan but this record is right up my alley, can hear a lot of Beatles/Bowie influence in there)
Tegan and Sara - Heartthrob (sugary pop music, simply, but catchy as all hell. I have been caught singing along to this at traffic lights quite a lot)
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Mosquito (although it's not as good as some of thier earlier records IMO, bar a few standout tracks)
Atoms For Peace - AMOK (like a less depressing Kid A, sort of)

Edited by Wil

Loads of good stuff out already:

Biffy Clyro - Opposites
Pure Love - Anthems
Dillinger Escape Plan - One Of Us Is The Killer
Queens Of The Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

Was looking forward to 30 Seconds To Mars new album but that was a bit hit and miss for me.

Been a good year thus far:

Amplifier - Echo Street
Tanner Merrit - Doubt
The Joy Formidable - Wolf's Law
Humanfly - Awesome Science
Cult of Luna - Vertikal
Palms - S/T
Mogwai - Les Revenants
Clutch - Earth Rocker
Autechre - Exai
QOTSA - ...Like Clockwork

And probably some others, I've found most people are being a bit tepid about Like Clockwork too, but I love it, it's a [i]huge[/i] step up from Era Vulgaris.

The rest of the year looks just as good too, new O'brother, new Future Of The Left, new Losers, new stuff I don't even realize is coming out yet.

[quote name='Ian Savage' timestamp='1372528435' post='2126898']

Rob Zombie's was pretty good too, now I remember!
[/quote]

I got Rob Zombies the day it came out but was a little disappointed, there are some good tracks but nothing outstanding. maybe it just needs time to grow on me.

Massive QOTSA fan here. Like Clockwork hasn't grabbed me as I hoped to be honest. I understand and I'm glad it's a big cathartic release for Josh Homme after his near death experience, he's one of the most talented artists of his (and my) generation. The tunes are well crafted but it just doesn't excite me really, nothing I haven't heard before.
Edit: I am listening to it, just not my fave by them and not the best for me this year.

Now, Primal Scream's new album More Light came in under the radar and is my vote.
Can't stop listening to it. It's fantastic.

Edited by miles'tone

Eureka Machines "Remain In Hope", Ian McNabb "Eclectic Warrior" and Poltergeist "Your Mind Is A Box, Let Us Fill It With Wonder" are all top notch. Then again I did pledge on them all so would say that, wouldn't I... ;)

Other than that, The Bluefields "Ramshackle" - OK, so it's hoary old-style rawk, but they put on the bestest rockingest show I've been to so far this year.