Why become a member? ×

What's everyone's albums of 2013 so far?

lou24d53

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1372548047' post='2127170']
"Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep" by SPOCK'S BEARD has seen pretty constant rotation since it arrived. The boys didn't disappoint once again.
[/quote]

Yep, much better than I expected after Nick quit. If you like a bit of modern prog also check out Big Big Train's 'English Electric vol2' which came out this year. I think that vol.1 is a better album but that came out back end of 2012 so technically doesn't count.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1372622816' post='2127844']
Yep, much better than I expected after Nick quit. If you like a bit of modern prog also check out Big Big Train's 'English Electric vol2' which came out this year. I think that vol.1 is a better album but that came out back end of 2012 so technically doesn't count.
[/quote]Had that off eMusic a while back :)

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1372620661' post='2127816']
Now, Primal Scream's new album More Light came in under the radar and is my vote.
Can't stop listening to it. It's fantastic.
[/quote]

I bought that as well, listened to the first five or six tracks, filed it back in it's case and it's never seen the light of day since.

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1372659389' post='2128118']

I bought that as well, listened to the first five or six tracks, filed it back in it's case and it's never seen the light of day since.
[/quote]

Ooo that's me told then! Then I guess I'm supposed to reply,"well you haven't heard the best half of it yet then" ;)
Come on man don't take it personally, you did ask after all. I was just being helpful in case you hadn't heard it as you were looking for some new tunes to listen to.
No worries :)

Haha, sorry, I certainly wasn't meaning to come across in that manner...apologies if I offended... :(

To be honest - and as a direct result of your post - I purposely lifted it this morning off the shelf, dusted it off and brought it in the car to work this morning...

It's not as bad as perhaps I made it out to be, but not a patch on "Riot City Girl", which is my favourite Scream album of recent times...

Some more obscure ones from me.

[i]Kylesa - Ultraviolet[/i]

Strong return to form from these guys, capturing some of the energy and intensity of 2009's [i]Static Tensions. [/i]Looking back, you can almost see 2010's [i]Spiral Shadow[/i] as a pause for breath, a reflection of some of their tiredness at the time - 3 years late, rested and refreshed, [i]Ultraviolet[/i] delivers the goods.

[i]Kvelertak - Meir[/i]

Marking the contiued popularity and evolution of Kvelertak, [i]Meir[/i] retains all the energy for which they are becoming known, but it is a touch more accessible. A little more thoughtful in places, it almost lulls you into believing the band really have changed... but then Kvelertak go back to doing what they do best, which is kicking up riffs at a velocity

Two stand outs for me, and possibly well known to fans of the heavier stuff :)

I've only bought one 2013 release so far, the Daft Punk album. What a disappointment! I love the first two albums, but this has just gone in the wrong direction for me. It has a few good moments, but there is a fair bit of weak disco with annoying vocoder. The rest sounds like Jean Michel Jarre massaging Mike Oldfield in a cheese factory.

Daft Punk are getting a lot of love and hate... I bought the album (and have their previous ones) and definitely fall into the 'love' camp, but I understand that it's not everyone's cup of char.

I've also really enjoyed 'Exai' by Autechre and 'Koi No Yokan' by Deftones [i](yeah, I know the latter was released last year but I've only just stumbled across it - on the back of a thread on Basschat, no less - and so yeah, what is time anyway, it's just a human construct, so nyar!).[/i]

That all said, one of my favourite releases to date in 2013 is 'Love Songs in Age' by Kit Richardson. That's not just me being sycophantic towards a fellow Basschatter (Nige/xilddx), I genuinely love it :)

I'm also really liking the stuff that Shep is putting out at the moment through his KADE project ([url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/210249-new-live-electronica-ep/"]details here[/url]).

Gotta love Basschat for the new music that gets signposted on here :)

[quote name='clauster' timestamp='1372745852' post='2129305']
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
The Skints - Part and Parcel
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure the Skints one came out last year!

For me so far.....

The Mouse Outfit - Escape Music
or
Fat Freddys Drop - Blackbird

For me the Bowie album and Big Big Train. I have also bought and listened to a number of CDs from earlier years that I have just discovered but I suppose they don't count.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1372620661' post='2127816']
Massive QOTSA fan here. Like Clockwork hasn't grabbed me as I hoped to be honest. I understand and I'm glad it's a big cathartic release for Josh Homme after his near death experience, he's one of the most talented artists of his (and my) generation. The tunes are well crafted but it just doesn't excite me really, nothing I haven't heard before.
Edit: I am listening to it, just not my fave by them and not the best for me this year.

Now, Primal Scream's new album More Light came in under the radar and is my vote.
Can't stop listening to it. It's fantastic.
[/quote]

Just calling my own bluff here.
Like Clockwork has really grown on me these last couple of months, to the point where I'm actually listening to it every day now.
Maybe this is why the reviews weren't universally glowing initially, time is needed to digest it all?
Anyways I'm holding my hands up now, f**king excellent album.

Also another fave of mine this year is Push The Sky Away by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Another killer writer.
Not a 'bass' album at all (pretty subdued compared to 'Dig..' although Martyn P Casey is the king of understated cool (he hardly does anything but he sounds fantastic).

Any nice new discoveries lately anyone?

Edited by miles'tone

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1372758865' post='2129483'] Daft Punk are getting a lot of love and hate... I bought the album (and have their previous ones) and definitely fall into the 'love' camp, but I understand that it's not everyone's cup of char. I've also really enjoyed 'Exai' by Autechre and 'Koi No Yokan' by Deftones [i](yeah, I know the latter was released last year but I've only just stumbled across it - on the back of a thread on Basschat, no less - and so yeah, what is time anyway, it's just a human construct, so nyar!).[/i] [b]That all said, one of my favourite releases to date in 2013 is 'Love Songs in Age' by Kit Richardson. That's not just me being sycophantic towards a fellow Basschatter (Nige/xilddx), I genuinely love it :) [/b]I'm also really liking the stuff that Shep is putting out at the moment through his KADE project ([url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/210249-new-live-electronica-ep/"]details here[/url]). Gotta love Basschat for the new music that gets signposted on here :) [/quote]

Paul, I just saw this, thank you so much mate! We've got a brand new single coming out soon too, a new song, on an actual label :o

Love Koi No Yokan too. I was listening to Autechre about 12 years ago, will have to check them out again.

Cheers man.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1378415366' post='2200107']Paul, I just saw this, thank you so much mate! We've got a brand new single coming out soon too, a new song, on an actual label :o[/quote]

My pleasure mate! Great to hear about the upcoming single too. You lot deserve that and then some.

You also need to get your arses up
north for a gig! Or I need to get mine down south sometime ;)