Why become a member? ×

Nile Rogers & Chic at Glasto: On BBC 4 now!

TRBboy

[quote name='paulconnolly' timestamp='1372460528' post='2126164']
I'm not clever enough or experienced enough to know so could you explain further what's wrong with it? Too toppy? Too middly? Just sh*t? What? Genuine question not trying to be difficult :)
[/quote]

I can't stand what I class as the modern Jazz bass sound. I simply don't find it musical. It sounds to like somebody hitting railway tracks with a hammer at a distance of a kilometre or so away and in this context I find it really intrusive. Give me Bernard's sound anytime.

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1372460705' post='2126170']
The sound is right for the genre
[/quote]

No, Bernard's sound is right for Chic and this isn't his sound. In fact i'm about to turn over as he's just started destroying Good Times. Somebody buy the man some flats!

Edited by 4000

Maybe I'm to easily pleased, but I think the bass sound is great and they're all giving an incredible performance! The singer on the right is a little weak on her own, but the one one the left is unbelievably talented.

What's the playing got to do with the bass sound? And how do you know what I can play like?

FWIW anyone else is perfectly entitled to disagree with me and enjoy the bass sound. That's what opinions are for. I just hate it. [i]My[/i] opinion. ;)

Edited by 4000

Not the easiest thing to do.... top the bill with a disco set at a festival..

Liked it... can easily watch it again.
The bass player would be on a hiding to nothing...try and nail Bernard Edwards
and he would get slammed so he brings his own thing ...

What is wrong with that..? BE can't be on the gig anymore.

Always loved Bernard's feel and groove but I personally prefer the tone that Jerry Barnes had tonight - he is using an Atelier Z bass of which Francis Hylton from Incognito uses too and his tone is also favoured by me. I suspect as ever, it has nothing to do with their gear and everything to do with their natural ability!

Jerry is a very different player to Bernard but I still enjoyed his playing and would settle for Chic on the telly every Friday night!

I know I am biased but without the Ray it just felt empty, nothing thumps on the 'one' like a Stingray which is what holds the whole Chic show together, Le Freak sounded crap without the [i]'Bum Bum' [/i]behind the vocals IMO. The thing a Ray has like no other is the ability to cut through with the high end like last nights Jazz did but retain an fat meaty bottom end to keep the groove going the rest of the time, never heard another bass that can do both, To me there is almost one sound on the E&A strings then another on the D&G, work your lines around that like Bernard did and you have the lot :D

Nile Rodgers got the bass player he wanted. If he was looking for a Bernard clone I'm sure he could have found someone to copy his style. It wastn't what he was looking to do.

Nice vid below gives some background on how Jerry Barnes came to join Chic and how Nile regards him:

http://youtu.be/O_VIub6YZ-0

[quote name='Platypus' timestamp='1372494291' post='2126340']
Nile Rodgers got the bass player he wanted. If he was looking for a Bernard clone I'm sure he could have found someone to copy his style. It wastn't what he was looking to do.

Nice vid below gives some background on how Jerry Barnes came to join Chic and how Nile regards him:

http://youtu.be/O_VIub6YZ-0
[/quote]

WOW !!
Cheers for that ...blown away.
Omar Hakim on drums too.